My overall take on the team through 7 weeks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by SoCold:
That's a lot of words. No time to read.

My take is, they suck.

At this point - they suck

What many of us have said for years - a real NT to anchor the DL

Then, the right coaches to teach these guys about getting their pad levels lower.

Than Trade or draft ILBs

They have used their firat pickning each of the last two drafts on the dl. DL are to Baalke as WR were to Millen.
I think after 7 rounds we are lucky that we have a win. I am optimistic that the Browns won't beat us this season and that we will not lose against the bye.

But seriously I do like some of the fresh blood trying their best.
Originally posted by NorthWest9Er:
I truly think WR is a need over QB at this juncture. The fact that most of our receivers drop pass after pass is glaring.

Stopped reading after bolded....
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
I think after 7 rounds we are lucky that we have a win. I am optimistic that the Browns won't beat us this season and that we will not lose against the bye.

But seriously I do like some of the fresh blood trying their best.

I see the first half of the games looking promising. Maybe the new scheme requires too much concentration while it is sinking in and that concentration cannot be maintained yet for the entire game.

The first half of the game against the Buccaneers was looking good and then the good evaporated. I don't the scheme is natural yet.

I think Gabbert had reached his potential and will not get any better. With Kap I think he just needs time to get his eye in and he will improve. He has been out for sometime and it will take time for him to get his mojo back, He has shown more mature decision making in the two games he was been back.

A lot of work has to be done now to improve the passing game and getting the offence to click into gear with this new scheme. To me I see a lot of potential there when things gel.

Defence is woeful Don't know where to start on that one. Best to starve the opposition of possession. That is going to be the only improvement that will achieve less breakthroughs of our defence at the moment.
Originally posted by Goatie:
I see the first half of the games looking promising. Maybe the new scheme requires too much concentration while it is sinking in and that concentration cannot be maintained yet for the entire game.

The first half of the game against the Buccaneers was looking good and then the good evaporated. I don't the scheme is natural yet.

I think Gabbert had reached his potential and will not get any better. With Kap I think he just needs time to get his eye in and he will improve. He has been out for sometime and it will take time for him to get his mojo back, He has shown more mature decision making in the two games he was been back.

A lot of work has to be done now to improve the passing game and getting the offence to click into gear with this new scheme. To me I see a lot of potential there when things gel.

Defence is woeful Don't know where to start on that one. Best to starve the opposition of possession. That is going to be the only improvement that will achieve less breakthroughs of our defence at the moment.

Some key injuries on an already underdone roster does not help either. Bowman!

That defense is gassed by the end of the first Qtr. I don't know if the typical NFL defender can adapt well. Baalke and Chip need to be on the same page there.

The QB issue is just so bad that there is no one any where near this roster that is up to snuff. I also worry what they will do with a newly drafted QB next year. The handling of players like Torrey Smith is not healthy.

The return game is non existent. WR position is a bust. Line Backers, Nose Tackle.etc etc etc.

But the punter is having a great season.

This is a lot worse than last year but at least there is no coaching dribble from Tomsula who was clueless.
Pathetic rundefence
Poor passrush
poor to pathetic QB play
poor runblocking.

Good for 14-17 points per game. This won´t win any games with the performace the defence has put up in these seven weeks.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

My take is, they suck.

At this point - they suck

What many of us have said for years - a real NT to anchor the DL

Then, the right coaches to teach these guys about getting their pad levels lower.

Than Trade or draft ILBs

I've been so upset about the NT for years. Ever since fangio, fans on here were saying that a high priced solution at NT wasn't needed, that we just don't play that style of defense.

BUT every other good 3-4 out there had a good NT. Nair not a single decent NT. And baalke says you gotta be strong up the middle? f**k this
As a team is built to win this team seems as if it was built to lose. No effort has been put into having a competitive product on the field. Are the Yorks cutting down to the bone for a sale of the franchise? Is money (which has poured in already) the only bottom line? My dream, my wish, is to have Eddie D. somehow get control once again.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Pathetic rundefence
Poor passrush
poor to pathetic QB play
poor runblocking.

Good for 14-17 points per game. This won´t win any games with the performace the defence has put up in these seven weeks.

We can beat a team like San Jose St. by at least 4 points and Bishop Gorman by more than a TD (as long as those kids aren't jacked up for the game).

HOWEVER, if we had to face Alabama or Michigan and the likes, things could get pretty scary / ugly on the battle field... I'm tellin ya.

#
Originally posted by thl408:
Good thoughts, Lucky. I also like what JoN does on the backend with coverages. Mostly because it's interesting to watch from a film perspective with the variety he comes with. That article you linked about his run defense (Bills film thread) was insightful and there are too many non-talent related factors working against it - roster turnover, complexity, more sub packages being played nowadays. He needs to adjust as a DC and scrap it. Maybe bring it back when he is more experienced. Coaches develop too. For now, simplify and let these youngsters just play without thinking too much so they first refine technique.

So many issues with the offense that it's hard to isolate what area needs the most improvement, so 'all of it' is a start. For this season, I'd like to see more substituting of personnel. Chip isn't going that fast from play to play this season. Much slower than previous years. May as well sub players and get more variety of formations and matchups. With Kap in, I'd like to see more designed QB runs. There are some QB sweeps, let's see more. Run a QB option pitch. Just throw all the variety possible with a running QB. Not saying run him 15 times a game, but 6-8 is good.

A big issue now is if the team continues to practice and play hard. I think a young roster is less likely to quit on the season this early. Chip might be able to get the "improve every day" message across to the team. I'm just looking forward to individual player development now.

That's pretty much all I was looking forward too (being competitive would have been a bonus)...but first, we have to get these kids healthy and on the field for development. I'm hoping the second half is nothing like the first half but I know that's probably wishful thinking as the wear and tear takes it's toll on both units. Kelly's got one hell of a task to keep this team focused and grinding. I'm just as curious to see if he and O'Neil can evolve.

My take is, they suck.

LMAO
I'm all for being optimistic but I had to laugh at the OP's comments that the Niners could possibly compete for a playoff spot next year if a rookie QB can come in and give us solid play. That is about as likely as Donald Trump winning in a landslide. With all of the holes that the Niners have they will have to hit on 3 drafts in a row and be able to attract several top free agents. IF all that happens perhaps they can contend by 2019 or so.

The first step is firing Baalke and finding someone who can take over this sinking ship and get the Niners back to respectability. Then, they must find a true difference maker on defense and a franchise QB. My hope.. they lose out, get the first pick, and draft Myles Garrett. Then move back into rd 1 and draft the QB for the future.... like Mitch Trubisky.
i havent seen any signs of kap being a better fit. we score less points, get less first downs and have less possession. i think kap has been by far worse than gabbert who himself was terrible
They suck bad. End of Thread
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Good thoughts, Lucky. I also like what JoN does on the backend with coverages. Mostly because it's interesting to watch from a film perspective with the variety he comes with. That article you linked about his run defense (Bills film thread) was insightful and there are too many non-talent related factors working against it - roster turnover, complexity, more sub packages being played nowadays. He needs to adjust as a DC and scrap it. Maybe bring it back when he is more experienced. Coaches develop too. For now, simplify and let these youngsters just play without thinking too much so they first refine technique.

So many issues with the offense that it's hard to isolate what area needs the most improvement, so 'all of it' is a start. For this season, I'd like to see more substituting of personnel. Chip isn't going that fast from play to play this season. Much slower than previous years. May as well sub players and get more variety of formations and matchups. With Kap in, I'd like to see more designed QB runs. There are some QB sweeps, let's see more. Run a QB option pitch. Just throw all the variety possible with a running QB. Not saying run him 15 times a game, but 6-8 is good.

A big issue now is if the team continues to practice and play hard. I think a young roster is less likely to quit on the season this early. Chip might be able to get the "improve every day" message across to the team. I'm just looking forward to individual player development now.

That's pretty much all I was looking forward too (being competitive would have been a bonus)...but first, we have to get these kids healthy and on the field for development. I'm hoping the second half is nothing like the first half but I know that's probably wishful thinking as the wear and tear takes it's toll on both units. Kelly's got one hell of a task to keep this team focused and grinding. I'm just as curious to see if he and O'Neil can evolve.

Agree. Hope to see some improvement, growth & health in the 2nd half of the season! Go 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone