There are 225 users in the forums

Passing game, play-by-play Tampa Bay

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
A little more commentary on individual plays this week. Erratic would be the best overall description. Summary at the end.

Yard marker - down/distance - result

the first two plays set a tone for much of the rest of the day.
Own 25 - 1/10- Kaerpenick looked to rt sideline for Streater who was covered on a go, pulled it down and scrambled for 7 yards. Just as he started to scramble, Celek came open for 7-8 yards over the middle. The run was a nice gain but he could also have had the passing gain had he not pulled it down so quickly.

040 - 1/10 - Incomplete, play action, CK immediately begins rolling right after fake then throws late to Patton on right hash who gets sandwiched by two DBs. Hit to defenseless player yields 15 yard penalty. BAD read and then bad throw by CK. Pre-snap read show Hargreaves has off coverage (8 yds) on Patton meaning the slant was open from left to right. Instead of coming out of the fake and throwing to Patton who was open for easy catch, Kap rolls right and then throws back across his body to Patton who was lucky he didn't go into concussion protocol from hit. McDonald was open instead of dangerous throw to Patton but CK was locked on QP.

T45 - 1/10 - Complete to McDonald for 23 yards. Good throw from pocket to wide open receiver.

T-21 - 1/10 - Complete to Smith on rt sideline at the 5. Roll out. Defender fell down. (Davis scores next play.)

____

O49 0 1/10 - Incomplete to McDonald who tries for one-handed catch on high throw. Tough throw. Needed to have soft touch and very good placement to complete.

3/7 - Wide open Smith unable to hold low throw on curl route for first down. Penalty would have nullified play had it been complete.
____

042 - 2/12 - Pass blocked at LOS. TB DL reads eyes and goes up to make a good play.

3/12 - Sack. Patton was coming open on crossing route but CK was already looking to run.

____

T17 - 1/0 - 17 yd TD pass to Draughn. Nice pass into tight window.

____

O28 - 2/7 - Incomplete to McDonald who drops ball on crossing route for likely 1st.

O44 - 1/10 - 16 yd completion to Burbridge who makes leaping catch for 1st.

T44 - 2/13 - Ugly late throw to McDonald is picked by TB. Harris was open short left. CK started to run then threw off balance. Bad read. Bad decision.

____

O41 - 2/6 - 2 yd completion to Patton crossing from right.

O44 - 3/4 - Incomplete. Late throw intended for Streater who was open early. Almost picked.

____

O25 - 1/10 - 6 yd completion to Draughn short right.

O31 - 2/4 - 6 yd completion to Kerley short middle.

O38 - 1/10 - Incomplete late throw to McDonald was knocked down by defender. CK had some happy feet in the pocket before releasing ball.

2/10 - 3 yd wide receiver screen to Patton.

O41 - 2/7 - 4 yd completion to Draughn at left sideline. Ball is late forcing Draughn all the way to the sideline to make catch with no chance for YAC to 1st. If ball is thrown earlier Draughn and one man to beat for 1st.

half

O39 - 2/12 - CK feels pressure, rolls left and throws it away. Smith was open for 8 yds crossing left to right but Kap doesn't see him.

3/12 - Sack/fumble. Kerley was open immediately short middle. Kaepernick was still moving backward when backside pressure got him. This play was typical of what TB was doing much of the time - sending outside pressure deep around the back of the pocket.

____

O29 - 2/6 - Overthrow to open Celek for 15 yds on left hash. Ball needed to have touch but was a fastball.

3/11 - 2 yd completion to Harris on left sideline who breaks 3 tackles to get 1st down. Great moves by Harris.

O39 - 2/10 - Pressure forced throwaway. Kaepernick dropped 11 yards from under center, pocket got elongated creating too much space to protect. Not enough time for depth of drop.

3/10 - Incomplete 10 yd attempt to Burbridge. Tight coverage allowed DB to knock it down. Ball on outside shoulder would have allowed AB to shield DB and make catch.

____

O25 - 1/10 - Incomplete overthrow to McDonald. Bad read/bad decision/bad throw. Patton was wide open crossing L to R for 6 yards - a Kelly staple.

O48 - 3/8 - 8 yd completion to Celek who fumbles, 49ers recover. 1st down. Good throw to open receiver.

T49 - 1/10 - Incomplete overthrow to Patton on left sideline for 15 yards. This is a tough throw but good QBs make it. It needs to have some touch over the DB. In two games CK has missed it 4 times.

2/11 - 7 yd completion to Patton crossing. Streater was open on go. CK didn't see him.

T27 - 2/3 - Incomplete. Celek fails to bring down a high throw. Throw was good. Celek needs to bring down a tough catch like this.

T10 - 1/G - Complete swing pass to Harris on left, breaks a tackle to gain 5.

3/G - Deep drop took CK behind back of protection and DE hits his arm as he releases ball that falls short of Patton. Almost picked.

____

O25 - 1/10 - 7 yd completion to Kerley short middle.

O32 - 2/3 - 6 yd completion to Draughn short left.

O36 - 1/10 - Incomplete attempt to Draughn 10 yds on left. Draughn can't pull down throw that was high and on his backside. CK dropped back 10 yards and then released the ball making it late. He then had to gun it and just missed.

2/10 - sack/fumble

3/10 - forced throwaway. Brown drops inside to help Garnett leaving DE unrestricted to the QB. CK unloads to save sack. (FG)

____

O16 - 1/10 - 9 yd swing pass to Draughn in rt flat.

O24 - 2/1 - Pass blocked at LOS.

SUMMARY: Some good things. A lot of not-very-good stuff. Some really bad stuff - Receivers first: For the most part they were getting open though the windows would have been tight in some of those. Some dropped balls that should have been caught though only McDonald's was a head scratcher. Most of the drops were ones where the receiver needed to bail out the QB on a not-very-good throw, however, we don't have any of those kind of receivers although Kerley generally does a good job if he can reach it. Overall, a pretty good job getting open against a defense that played better than their rep.

I had hoped to see better footwork in the pocket from CK this game. For the most part, he did. Trouble was, he did not try to stay step up in the pocket when pressure came. The OL didn't help him out much. Garnett had a tough game in PP. So did Brown. However, the combination of play design and CK's lack of pocket presence and field awareness did not help either. One common problem I saw was that Kaepernick was taking deep drops a lot of the time - deeper drops than was necessary or even designed. Instead of setting up 7-8 yards deep, he often went back 8-10 yards. This had the result of forcing the protection to change from a nice tight horseshoe shape where the OL can stay relatively compact leaving few gaps to a deep U-shape where they get spread out leaving gaps that force everyone to block one on one instead of helping each other and passing guys off. TB was very good at forcing this as they frequently had rushers starting wide and staying wide, forcing the Brown and Staley to set up deeper and wider, hence the gaps. The counter should have been a short set and quick passes, however, that is a weakness of Kaepernick.

Kaepernick did gain a substantial amount of yardage on the ground although he just does not look like the same strong, fast, dynamic runner he was three year ago. It looks like he is going at about 80% of what I remember. We have talked about his diet, time off from the gym, and all of that. Personally I believe it is the vegan diet. You just cannot put on a lot of muscle in a few months the way you can if you are eating meat.

The overall offense seemed relatively simple. Nothing really new, at least from what one can see from the broadcast screen. There were plays to be made. Patton and Kerley were open on a number of crossing routes. Streater appeared to come open behind the defense on two plays where Kaepernick had pulled it down and was starting to run but CK didn't see him. Smith seems non-existent. Teams know he is the only real threat so they double him often and take him out of the game. Still, he has been getting open often enough but it takes a QB with understanding and anticipation, along with accuracy, to get the ball to him.

It was just another frustrating game for the passing game. Without the proper trigger man this offense will not work. CK takes too long and has no anticipation. We can say that is partly due to "rust," and there may be some of that, however, we are also seeing the same problems he has always had. Gabbert has the understanding but not the accuracy. At the end of the day, the passing game seemed smoother with Gabbert. His short throws were generally on time and that helped the pass pro.

In the end, it is about points on the board. Gabbert played 5 games against teams with combined records of 2 games over .500 and the offense averaged 22 PPG. Kaepernick played 2 games against teams with combined records of 1 game over .500 and averaged 16.5 PPG. The numbers are telling.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 24, 2016 at 10:41 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
It must have been the wind
  • thl408
Originally posted by dj43:
A little more commentary on individual plays this week. Erratic would be the best overall description. Summary at the end.

Yard marker - down/distance - result
____

O25 - 1/10 - Incomplete overthrow to McDonald. Bad read/bad decision/bad throw. Patton was wide open crossing L to R for 6 yards - a Kelly staple.

O48 - 3/8 - 8 yd completion to Celek who fumbles, 49ers recover. 1st down. Good throw to open receiver.

T49 - 1/10 - Incomplete overthrow to Patton on left sideline for 15 yards. This is a tough throw but good QBs make it. It needs to have some touch over the DB. In two games CK has missed it 4 times.

2/11 - 7 yd completion to Patton crossing. Streater was open on go. CK didn't see him.

T27 - 2/3 - Incomplete. Celek fails to bring down a high throw. Throw was good. Celek needs to bring down a tough catch like this.

T10 - 1/G - Complete swing pass to Harris on left, breaks a tackle to gain 5.

3/G - Deep drop took CK behind back of protection and DE hits his arm as he releases ball that falls short of Patton. Almost picked.
(snipped)
Thanks for powering through with this write up. It's getting hard for me to re-watch the games. Greg Cossell specifically pointed out the play bolded above so I went back and watched it on the all22 (4Q 1st & goal). It was on a very routine playcall and Kap misread the play. He had Celek wide open at the 1 yard line, right in front of his face as the 2nd read in the progression, but chose to escape the pocket and throw to Harris.

Cossell said something like this is classic Kap. Not making the routine pass while opting to escape the pocket to throw to the incorrect read. The play still resulted in a positive gain, but was not the optimal decision. I paraphrased a lot but that was the gist of what he said (KNBR radio).
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for powering through with this write up. It's getting hard for me to re-watch the games. Greg Cossell specifically pointed out the play bolded above so I went back and watched it on the all22 (4Q 1st & goal). It was on a very routine playcall and Kap misread the play. He had Celek wide open at the 1 yard line, right in front of his face as the 2nd read in the progression, but chose to escape the pocket and throw to Harris.

Cossell said something like this is classic Kap. Not making the routine pass while opting to escape the pocket to throw to the incorrect read. The play still resulted in a positive gain, but was not the optimal decision. I paraphrased a lot but that was the gist of what he said (KNBR radio).

You're welcome.

I chose to do this again because I wanted to be as fair and accurate about any statements I made about Kaepernick as possible. I wanted to see improvements if they were there. What I saw was more of the same, and some that seemed worse. The one thing that stood out to me in this game was the difficulty the OL was having in pass protection.

In order for a group to pass protect well, they have to have a good idea in their mind of the general area the QB will be in and protect that area. If they know it is a short drop with a quick release, they will protect a short area. If it is a deeper drop they protect that differently. In Kap's case, he is never in the same place. (I noted this in the write-up.) Some of his deeper drops went back 10 yards while others were only 7. In other cases he leaves the pocket early as pressure comes instead of stepping up and making the easy throw. As Cosell said, this is classic Kaepernick. He just does not seem to know how to play the game or what a specific play should do and that makes the job of the OL more difficult.

I will try to continue this after the bye, however, if it is CK again, and he plays the same way, I may just say, "Ditto."
thanks for this, but is anyone really surprised? did people actually think kap would be better than gabbert? kap is the 3rd best qb on this team
if you want to tank the season, kap is your guy - but if we want to work to any sort of respectability (while still often losing) you need to go back to gabbert or throw in ponder - I liked him better than gabbert when they were with previous teams - actually i thought ponder was ok - not great or even good, but ok - which is better than "worst starter in the league" that we have with #7
  • dj43
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
thanks for this, but is anyone really surprised? did people actually think kap would be better than gabbert? kap is the 3rd best qb on this team
if you want to tank the season, kap is your guy - but if we want to work to any sort of respectability (while still often losing) you need to go back to gabbert or throw in ponder - I liked him better than gabbert when they were with previous teams - actually i thought ponder was ok - not great or even good, but ok - which is better than "worst starter in the league" that we have with #7

I am coming to the conclusion Gabbert and Kaepernick are dweedle dee and dweedle dum. Ponder did have a couple of years where his rating was in the 77-81 range. That is better than the 69 and 66 that Gab and Kap have put up this year. Aside from his rookie year, Ponder's worst year was a 70.1, a shade better than the other guys. After the bye we give CK 2 more games and then it might be time to see if Ponder is the backup guy we need.
Share 49ersWebzone