There are 229 users in the forums

Would a 5-2 base defense be any worse than what we're using now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lynch & Brooks as DEs, Armstead & Buckner as NGs, Dorsey/whoever at NT....

Mix it up with Bear fronts (inner 3 stacked close together), with some wide 9 looks.

2 gap, make those damn runs earned.

I would also say blitz a lot more too. Getting burnt by the blitz is almost never embarrassing, but attributed to the offense making a good play.

Every 3rd down from now until the end of week 17 should be a blitz. Just a question of how many guys.
I just want to know why our defense has regressed so much since week 1
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:

Everything is regressing since week 1
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:

Everything is regressing since week 1

But our defense looked really good, even in the beginning of the panthers game, before hyde fumbled, then ever since we have been absolutely terrible
Whatever it is, we need to do something different. What we are doing is clearly not working and what the Browns did last year clearly didn't work either sooo
Maybe just maybe the team has given up.

And on some level I would be ok with that (looking to the future of course).

When you factor in how we started the season with ferocity as good as any NFL team while the Rams as poor as any NFL team......it's interesting to say the least.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Maybe just maybe the team has given up.

And on some level I would be ok with that (looking to the future of course).

When you factor in how we started the season with ferocity as good as any NFL team while the Rams as poor as any NFL team......it's interesting to say the least.

I don't think we have given up, I think our offense lacks significant talent at key positions and the defense lacks a coach, a true NT, two solid ILBs and a pass rush. Hard to compete for 60 minutes when you're missing so much
The way to beat Chip Kelly and this goes back to his Oregon days, is to run on him. His offensive style leaves the defense on the field, his philosophy is to take chances on defense, and create turn overs, so he can quickly run up the score and put you out of your run game. Our total lack of ability to stop the run, ruins evened everything. The early success in the run game wears us out, and its game over by half time.

We need to completely sell out against the run in the first half, 5-2, 4-3, 9 men in the box what ever it takes. Get after the passes with blitzes, less stunts, more ridged run fits, and clear assignments at the edges. If we get into a fast scoring shoot out, that plays to Chips strength. We just need to find a complement offensive groove. More running from the spread, more misdirection in the run game. Kaeprnick is half a QB, and Gabber is flawed as well.

Its is so much like the Alex Smith Keapernick days is scary. We have captain check down, who cant stretch the field so our run game suffers, or the mad bomber who cant dump it off! I have been a loud proponent of drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds every season until we have our guy. Now we are so depleted, its hard to see a road back. Our linebacking core is a mess. Most of these guys couldn't start anywhere else in the league.

We need to come up with a defensive plan that keeps these idiots off the field, I would go 4-3 with Hodges as my SAM for coverage, Bellore, or maybe Blair as my run stuffing MIKE, and rotate Harold, and Lynch as my pass rushing WILL. Brooks, Lynch could also rotate as DE, to keep Buckner and Amsted fresh.

I would look to power rush the QB with a line of Buckner, Purcell, Dial, and Armsted. This D-line could clog the middle of the field and take away the inside run, letting my SAM and Will backers handle setting the edge. A rotation and run down sub packages would be needed, leaving us open to no huddle offense when we have a bad package on the field, but I would take that rsk, as we are so bad on all downs now, it would an improvement.
Totally agree with this thread, I posted a similar one but it disappeared by the WZ moderators. The team does not have a NT to run a 3-4 so you are proposing to run a 4-3 and make Lynch or Brooks be the outside linebacker. Solid thought.

The best players need to be on the field to stop the run. I am sorry but 4 undrafted free agents at ILB simply does not work. Wilhoit, Skov, Bellore, it is not their fault they are role players and special team players. Also they do not have DL taking on two OL in a double team so even the safeties have to tackle a RB with a full head of steam.
I wish we were 5-2

I think the problem is our guys just have to execute better No changes. Just execute better
Why not? Teams have been stacking up to 10 in the box for years with zero issues.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think the problem is our guys just have to execute better No changes. Just execute better

LMAO!!!
Share 49ersWebzone