There are 156 users in the forums

Reason To Watch: Who's Worth Keeping?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
How many speed guys get into the NFL and flop? How many speed guys have 1,100 yards receiving as the #1 target on their respective teams?

It appears the 49ers will be drafting a QB, and if that is the case, you want to give your young QB more, not less weapons, especially if you have a veteran receiver who has seen it all, who has been in the playoffs, played in and won a SB. Cap space isn't going to become an issue for a few years and with Torrey you have a guy that defenses will always have to account for.

Just because the current batch of QB's suck badly(Kaepernick missed a wide open Torrey in the endzone today), doesn't mean that a guy they draft won't have a use for Torrey. The 49ers need more, not less good receivers.
A lot of guys are good for a couple of years only to fall off a cliff and loose their careers. Torrey might be one of these guys. Last year was below average for him and this year his play has completely fallen off a cliff. If he had an average salary it would make sense to ride it out but he's making a lot of money right now for the production he's shown and his career is trending down fast. Lets be honest he only had 17 yards today.

Past performance aside, Torrey Smith has reminded me this year of Ted Ginn. Speedster that can get open deep, but doesn't have reliable hands and struggles to make plays in traffic.

I don't necessarily think we should "cut" Torrey.... or Vance McDonald for that matter. I just see them as guys that have been part of the problem for us. A young QB needs a guy with reliable hands that can make difficult catches. Smith doesn't look like that guy to me.
A lot of guys are good for a couple of years only to fall off a cliff and loose their careers. Torrey might be one of these guys. Last year was below average for him and this year his play has completely fallen off a cliff. If he had an average salary it would make sense to ride it out but he's making a lot of money right now for the production he's shown and his career is trending down fast. Lets be honest he only had 17 yards today.

And more likely he might just be a receiver saddled with s**tty QB play, including your boy Gabbert that you repeatedly kept trying to prop up.

When a receiver gets open, the receiver has done his job, the QB by not getting it to them, has failed to do his. Torrey got wide open in the endzone today, he's gotten open at other times for big plays and the QB's either completely whiffed on the throw or flat out didn't see him. That doesn't mean that a better QB wouldn't find a use for him.

With the 49ers cap space, there's no urgent need to cut him or trade him, see how he does with a new quarterback that the 49ers draft and if his production improves with someone that is capable of throwing downfield with accuracy.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Past performance aside, Torrey Smith has reminded me this year of Ted Ginn. Speedster that can get open deep, but doesn't have reliable hands and struggles to make plays in traffic.

I don't necessarily think we should "cut" Torrey.... or Vance McDonald for that matter. I just see them as guys that have been part of the problem for us. A young QB needs a guy with reliable hands that can make difficult catches. Smith doesn't look like that guy to me.

So a young QB is better off with this team removing, not adding WR talent? There's absolutely no guarantee that you draft someone as productive as Torrey has been throughout his career. The 49ers have over $80 mil in cap space. So where is the urgency to get rid of him when the 49ers haven't had a QB that can take advantage of his skillset.

I guess what makes sense to me is adding, not removing from the WR group. Looking into FA its not exactly a stellar group of WR's. If you can sign a guy like Alshon Jeffery, great, but signing him doesn't prohibit you from keeping Torrey and giving a QB more options.
LOL at people wanting to get rid of Torrey, funny how he made plays with a franchise qb like flacco throwing him the ball but when he has gabbert and Kaepernick throwing him the ball he dissapears. I wonder why? Maybe because both those qbs should never see the field
  • jcs
  • Veteran
So a young QB is better off with this team removing, not adding WR talent? There's absolutely no guarantee that you draft someone as productive as Torrey has been throughout his career. The 49ers have over $80 mil in cap space. So where is the urgency to get rid of him when the 49ers haven't had a QB that can take advantage of his skillset.

I guess what makes sense to me is adding, not removing from the WR group. Looking into FA its not exactly a stellar group of WR's. If you can sign a guy like Alshon Jeffery, great, but signing him doesn't prohibit you from keeping Torrey and giving a QB more options.

I'm pretty sure you can sign a WR in FA for half of what we are paying him and get better production. Look at Kearly.
I'm pretty sure you can sign a WR in FA for half of what we are paying him and get better production. Look at Kearly.

So because your boy Gabbert can't throw beyond 15 yards and kept force feeding it to the slot receiver, who was on the verge of getting cut by the Lions, that makes him a better receiver than Torrey?

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL at people wanting to get rid of Torrey, funny how he made plays with a franchise qb like flacco throwing him the ball but when he has gabbert and Kaepernick throwing him the ball he dissapears. I wonder why? Maybe because both those qbs should never see the field

This. "49ers need to draft a young QB....and give him LESS weapons."

I'd understand the argument somewhat if the 49ers were anywhere near the cap limit and had to make ends meet somehow. They'll have over $80 million in cap space that they'll be hard pressed to spend in 2 offseasons.

As Eddie Murphy said, the ends are meeting like a motherf**ker.

You keep Torrey around and see what your newly drafted QB can do with him. If he isn't working out, THEN you cut or trade him, not before.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:

Torrey Smith is obviously not a number 1, when he was in Baltimore and have Anquan Boldin as the number 1 and him the 2 and Jacoby Jones was in the slot he was very productive, plus at that time Flacco probably threw the nicest deep ball in the league..with Alshon Jeffery demanding the other teams best CB plays him Smith will have an easier time getting open, and main thing hopefully a QB who can hit him on those long passes he has been open a lot on..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Torrey Smith is obviously not a number 1, when he was in Baltimore and have Anquan Boldin as the number 1 and him the 2 and Jacoby Jones was in the slot he was very productive, plus at that time Flacco probably threw the nicest deep ball in the league..with Alshon Jeffery demanding the other teams best CB plays him Smith will have an easier time getting open, and main thing hopefully a QB who can hit him on those long passes he has been open a lot on..

People also forget that the dude had 1,100 yards receiving in Baltimore when the next best receiver was Marlon Brown and their TE was injured most of the season. He's proven he can produce but you have to throw the ball to him consistently. Getting him 1 or 2 targets a game is a joke. If he's got 1-1 coverage deep downfield he should get plenty of throws in those situations.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
So because your boy Gabbert can't throw beyond 15 yards and kept force feeding it to the slot receiver, who was on the verge of getting cut by the Lions, that makes him a better receiver than Torrey?

Please don't stick that garbage of a QB on me, I supported him because I didn't want to see Kap play...that said It's clear you have a torrey smith jersey at home and that's fine...doesn't change the fact that he's the 101 ranked WR in the NFL as a #1.

• jcs
  • Veteran
People also forget that the dude had 1,100 yards receiving in Baltimore when the next best receiver was Marlon Brown and their TE was injured most of the season. He's proven he can produce but you have to throw the ball to him consistently. Getting him 1 or 2 targets a game is a joke. If he's got 1-1 coverage deep downfield he should get plenty of throws in those situations.

In 2013, he's at 199 after 7 games in 2016. He's on pace for 454 yards this season for what is almost an $8 Million dollar WR who can only run one rout and is a lousy run blocker.
[ Edited by jcs on Oct 23, 2016 at 10:16 PM ]

Please don't stick that garbage of a QB on me, I supported him because I didn't want to see Kap play...that said It's clear you have a torrey smith jersey at home and that's fine...doesn't change the fact that he's the 101 ranked WR in the NFL as a #1.

Wait since when has Torrey ever been a number 1 or any1 say he is..? Hes a 2 playing on a s**tty WR core..so that makes him the number 1..he has never been considered a number 1 except this year bc every other player sucks behind him..if Anquan resigned he would be the number 1..and Torrey would be considered what he is..a 2.. next yearhe will hopefully be a 2 bc the niners will sign a 1..now as a number 2 Torrey would be ranked very high..

Dude, you made every excuse in the book for Gabbert, that somehow receivers weren't defying the laws of physics to go after throws. Torrey Smith has been a quality receiver in the NFL, your boy Gabbert has been crap the entire time, make as many excuses, deflect as much as you want, doesn't change the fact that he's always been a terrible QB. Bashing on Torrey doesn't make Gabbert suck any less, sorry.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 23, 2016 at 10:17 PM ]
In 2013, he's at 199 after 7 games in 2016

Yep, its a shame that he can't throw the football to himself because neither of the 49ers QB's have been able to get the job done this year.

In 2013, he's at 199 after 7 games in 2016

Honestly he would have what 3 more TDs and 150 more yards in 3 catches if the QBs didn't suck..cant really put it all on him when they can get him the ball..he might be open every play..i remember Crabtree left and said he did bc the QBs couldn't get him the ball..now look at him with a QB that gets him the ball
Share 49ersWebzone