LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Which former 49er would make a good GM in your opinion ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Mike Nolan is my pick. People keep talking about how our squad from 2011 - 2013 was built by Scot McCloughan, but I've always contended that credit should go to Mike Nolan for those 2005 - 2007 drafts. It was well known that he was acting General Manager during that time and was stripped of his duties following the disastrous 2007 season. He truly pissed his calling as a personnel guy.

Outside of that, I'd trust guys like Steve Young and Brent Jones to bring in smart football people and build a well run organization. They would also be very passionate about the team. Steve Young in particular.

I wouldn't let Mike Holmgren anywhere near personnel, but he has great coaching connections and typically has strong staffs. I'm sure he could've hooked Chip Kelly up with a quality DC or an up and coming guy who deserves a shot since defense is not his forte.

This. He was actually a good GM in conjunction with Baalke (leading the draft). That was a pretty solid combo. Nolan actually is quite the salesman and he'd be great for attracting FA's. I don't remember if he did any trade ups/backs though.

Steve would be another good one b/c of his expertise in the law field (contracts). He should be able to work well with Paraag on that. In addition, he'd want a WCO coach and traditional WCO QB.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Mike Nolan is my pick. People keep talking about how our squad from 2011 - 2013 was built by Scot McCloughan, but I've always contended that credit should go to Mike Nolan for those 2005 - 2007 drafts. It was well known that he was acting General Manager during that time and was stripped of his duties following the disastrous 2007 season. He truly pissed his calling as a personnel guy.

Outside of that, I'd trust guys like Steve Young and Brent Jones to bring in smart football people and build a well run organization. They would also be very passionate about the team. Steve Young in particular.

I wouldn't let Mike Holmgren anywhere near personnel, but he has great coaching connections and typically has strong staffs. I'm sure he could've hooked Chip Kelly up with a quality DC or an up and coming guy who deserves a shot since defense is not his forte.

This. He was actually a good GM in conjunction with Baalke (leading the draft). That was a pretty solid combo. Nolan actually is quite the salesman and he'd be great for attracting FA's. I don't remember if he did any trade ups/backs though.

Steve would be another good one b/c of his expertise in the law field (contracts). He should be able to work well with Paraag on that. In addition, he'd want a WCO coach and traditional WCO QB.

He traded up for Manny Lawson, and while people were not fond of Lawson, the guy did last 10 years in the league for what it's worth. I don't think we had a better stretch of adding talent to the team from 2005 to 2007 for quite some time when you really think about it. Every draft he oversaw produced quality players. And although most of his players didn't become stars until after his departure, that probably had as much to do with his own coaching and Singletary's (though he did get Vernon Davis going) than it did with the players themselves.
Originally posted by jcs:

Mike Nolan had more than enough time here to prove he is nothing more than a above average Defensive Coordinator in the NFL...and that's it.

So you don't like his drafts when he was GM? Outside of the Walsh years, it's hard to find a better three year run of drafts for this team.
Kentwan Balmer.
IIRC Steve Young has had a missing relative for a year now. He may have some personal things that keep him from taking his career in a new direction (assuming he wants to).

But as far as skillset, I believe Young also has experience as a finance executive, so it doesn't seem like he'd be too out of place anywhere in an NFL FO (JD, executive experience, QB, athlete). He's a guy that should be well-rounded enough to start anywhere in the FO and work his way into a role with the inner circle.
He traded up for Manny Lawson, and while people were not fond of Lawson, the guy did last 10 years in the league for what it's worth. I don't think we had a better stretch of adding talent to the team from 2005 to 2007 for quite some time when you really think about it. Every draft he oversaw produced quality players. And although most of his players didn't become stars until after his departure, that probably had as much to do with his own coaching and Singletary's (though he did get Vernon Davis going) than it did with the players themselves.

Yeah, that sounds familiar. Lol. Players need years to develop WITH quality coaching. But he found some great ones indeed and his personality is perfect for free agency. Fire up the helicopter and power up those PowerPoints!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
romanowski
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Lawrence Phillips

Didnt he die?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
romanowski

The thought alone makes me lol. I'd pay to watch a skit of Romanowski as GM.
i feel like at this point the ONLY move ownership could make to save face is to hire a former glory day 49er as GM or top exec. like steve or merton. cause besides all they can do is hire another regular GM an everyone will jsut roll their eyes an have that well here we go again feeling.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Mike Nolan is my pick. People keep talking about how our squad from 2011 - 2013 was built by Scot McCloughan, but I've always contended that credit should go to Mike Nolan for those 2005 - 2007 drafts. It was well known that he was acting General Manager during that time and was stripped of his duties following the disastrous 2007 season. He truly missed his calling as a personnel guy.

MIKE NOLAN??

SO HE CAN WORRY ABOUT WEARING SUITES ONCE AGAIN WHILE WE'RE ON A 7 GAME LOSING STREAK??
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Lawrence Phillips

Didnt he die?

I thought he killed a dude in jail.
Steve Young for sure. He'd bring that winning mentality like Elway did with the Broncos.
Steve Young
I would say Steve Young also.
Share 49ersWebzone