LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Which former 49er would make a good GM in your opinion ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm gonna say Merton Hanks or Steve Young

Merton was a big wig with the league as an executive , and could be a decent GM that could rebuild our team, he is a smart man and I suspect he would bring respectability back to our front office, plus after we draft a solid player, Merton could do that sesame street chicken dance to celebrate

Steve is a beloved sports figure , and is respected in a big way , and I would think his aggressiveness as a player would translate into a GM that goes after talent hard, plus his love for the 49ers is obvious , he would always make the best decisions to shore up weak spots and glaring needs on the roster, plus he is a WCO guy, and Bill Walsh's presence and influence would be back in 49ers headquarters
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Oct 19, 2016 at 7:16 AM ]
Steve young/Brent jones
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Steve young/Brent jones

...I almost listed Brent Jones , Dwight Clark is another sharp dude too
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Steve young/Brent jones

This.

Not going to happen because that would be great and make too much sense, though.
Yorks don't want anything to do with the former regime, players included. Yorks think they have all the answers, shut up and keep making your SBL payments..morgage the house if you have to is their thinking.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Charles Haley or TO
Lawrence Phillips
Does Scot McCloughan count?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
as a GM, I think Matt Millen and his no-nonsense approach would be perfect, but I would also let him know that he will need to hire an assistant when it comes to drafting players..

stay away from MOOCH !!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Not sure what Brent has done as a football manager but he's currently involved in hockey, Dwight was the first GM for a few seasons of the new Cleveland Browns...no thanks.

Originally posted by 9moon:
as a GM, I think Matt Millen and his no-nonsense approach would be perfect, but I would also let him know that he will need to hire an assistant when it comes to drafting players..

stay away from MOOCH !!

We wouldn't have to worry about not being able to draft wide receivers anymore.
Mike Nolan is my pick. People keep talking about how our squad from 2011 - 2013 was built by Scot McCloughan, but I've always contended that credit should go to Mike Nolan for those 2005 - 2007 drafts. It was well known that he was acting General Manager during that time and was stripped of his duties following the disastrous 2007 season. He truly missed his calling as a personnel guy.

Outside of that, I'd trust guys like Steve Young and Brent Jones to bring in smart football people and build a well run organization. They would also be very passionate about the team. Steve Young in particular.

I wouldn't let Mike Holmgren anywhere near personnel, but he has great coaching connections and typically has strong staffs. I'm sure he could've hooked Chip Kelly up with a quality DC or an up and coming guy who deserves a shot since defense is not his forte.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Not sure what Brent has done as a football manager but he's currently involved in hockey, Dwight was the first GM for a few seasons of the new Cleveland Browns...no thanks.

I also look at those Dwight Clark/Carmen Policy years when we went into cap hell for the first time. That's two strikes.
Was talking with a buddy about this the other day. Steve Young would be a phenomenal hire but it won't happen. He has a cushy job with less stress. Also, I assume he wants nothing to do with Jed and the York family.

My take: Make Steve Young President/GM of the Niners and get the hell out of the way.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Mike Nolan is my pick. People keep talking about how our squad from 2011 - 2013 was built by Scot McCloughan, but I've always contended that credit should go to Mike Nolan for those 2005 - 2007 drafts. It was well known that he was acting General Manager during that time and was stripped of his duties following the disastrous 2007 season. He truly pissed his calling as a personnel guy.

Outside of that, I'd trust guys like Steve Young and Brent Jones to bring in smart football people and build a well run organization. They would also be very passionate about the team. Steve Young in particular.

I wouldn't let Mike Holmgren anywhere near personnel, but he has great coaching connections and typically has strong staffs. I'm sure he could've hooked Chip Kelly up with a quality DC or an up and coming guy who deserves a shot since defense is not his forte.
Mike Nolan had more than enough time here to prove he is nothing more than a above average Defensive Coordinator in the NFL...and that's it.
Share 49ersWebzone