Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to trade Joe Staley?

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
This seems like something you'd see on here in the offseason

I agree 100%
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Joe has been one of our only staples but it seems he's wasting his last few valuable years on a completely talent devoid team. It will be at least 3 years before we're competitive again, so should we move him now while he still has some trade value?

So football is about trading good players stuck on bad teams? You better let the league know. There are a lot of players getting hosed then.

luulz
Hell No ....trade Big Joe for a draft pick that will be used on an injured player, or a player we wont put on the field , I'm disappointed in the way our picks were used this season , Theus and Cooper aren't doing us any good sitting on the bench , Blair has rarely been used , thankfully we are getting some production from Buckner and Robinson , and Garnett is finally playing

but no, don't trade Joe , let him retire a 49er , so he will always be a beloved figure by the fans
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
I GOT AN IDEA, LET'S TRADE EVERY GOOD PLAYER WE HAVE FOR MORE PICKS FOR TRENT BAALKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trent has a plan, he will take all those picks, and trade them for more picks next year....then he will get great value by drafting 15-20 guys with injuries, this will allow him to draft lower the following year, and when the 15-20 injured players return....yeah, no, screw Trent, Im done with his act, bring on the next clown.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Joe has been one of our only staples but it seems he's wasting his last few valuable years on a completely talent devoid team. It will be at least 3 years before we're competitive again, so should we move him now while he still has some trade value?

So football is about trading good players stuck on bad teams? You better let the league know. There are a lot of players getting hosed then.

luulz

I'm simply asking the question. He's been good for us but we need more young talent to build upon. If we could get a second or a third I might consider moving him.

luulz

This. "But but he's STUCK on a BAD team!!!"

Is he paid any less to be on a bad team? No? Alrighty then.

You dont get better by trading away some of the best talent you do have.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2016 at 7:39 AM ]
Trade him. He is done. Watching from my living room, I have seen the guy give up on like 5-10 plays this year and just let the d-end fly by that resulted in a sack honestly. He doesn't care anymore. Talented player but clearly disinterested at this time and seriously how much longer is he going to play? It's been 10 years and hes been an amazing left tackle but I'm afraid he will be the next to call it quits.
[ Edited by PrimeTime on Oct 19, 2016 at 8:28 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Hell No ....trade Big Joe for a draft pick that will be used on an injured player, or a player we wont put on the field , I'm disappointed in the way our picks were used this season , Theus and Cooper aren't doing us any good sitting on the bench , Blair has rarely been used , thankfully we are getting some production from Buckner and Robinson , and Garnett is finally playing

but no, don't trade Joe , let him retire a 49er , so he will always be a beloved figure by the fans

I hate to sound like I am defending Baalke, I'm not, however, AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT, we didn't know if AD would come out of "retirement" or not.

We didn't know if Trent Brown would have his weight under control and be starting grade. (His run grades are very low.)

We knew that Staley wouldn't play for ever, hence, drafting a future replacement was sound policy.

As a result of those three things, drafting Theus and Cooper made sense, particularly now that we know Davis is gone. Right now we have 3 OTs on the 53, Brown, Staley and Theus. If either of the starters go down, Theus is next man up and Cooper comes up from the PS.

All that makes sense to me.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

I hate to sound like I am defending Baalke, I'm not, however, AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT, we didn't know if AD would come out of "retirement" or not.

We didn't know if Trent Brown would have his weight under control and be starting grade. (His run grades are very low.)

We knew that Staley wouldn't play for ever, hence, drafting a future replacement was sound policy.

As a result of those three things, drafting Theus and Cooper made sense, particularly now that we know Davis is gone. Right now we have 3 OTs on the 53, Brown, Staley and Theus. If either of the starters go down, Theus is next man up and Cooper comes up from the PS.

Except Theus and Cooper both looked like crap. One was drafted to specifically be a swing tackle (Baalke again not drafting the best talent) and the other was a developmental player. Baalke just got lucky that Brown / Staley have been healthy this season.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
DON'T FORGET THAT I'VE TOLD EVERYONE HOW BAD AND OVERRATED STALEY HAS BEEN..

you all didn't believe me prior to the draft.. now, the team must suffer !!

• dj43
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by dj43:

Except Theus and Cooper both looked like crap. One was drafted to specifically be a swing tackle (Baalke again not drafting the best talent) and the other was a developmental player. Baalke just got lucky that Brown / Staley have been healthy this season.

I did not watch either of them closely enough to say whether or not they may become decent players, TBH. My only comment was in response to the fact we have two guys that are in line to take over in case of injury.

As to drafting quality players, that discussion is over in the Baalke thread - we clearly do not have quality players on the roster outside of a few guys like Staley who continues to play at a high level.
Wtf. We need Staley to stay with us. He is the best OL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

luulz

This. "But but he's STUCK on a BAD team!!!"

Is he paid any less to be on a bad team? No? Alrighty then.

You dont get better by trading away some of the best talent you do have.

Yep, if you're gonna say good players being on bad teams is unfair to the player, then you're saying the whole draft system is unfair to the player also. Anyhow, as you say, they're all paid very well to perform so it's tough titties. I don't get the logic of letting your best players go to give them an opportunity to win on another team. That's elevating the individual player above the group. The club comes first. No individual is bigger than the club.
Another thing, I could understand if there were some idiot franchise willing to do a Herschel Walker type of trade. Then by all means, trade him. But we are talking about trading away good players to receive a 4th - 6th round pick. That is not how this works.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I can't believe rumors in the media are saying we are willing to trade him. If I was Staley I would retire before I let them screw me over.
Share 49ersWebzone