There are 192 users in the forums

Is it time to trade Joe Staley?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to trade Joe Staley?

Yes, I do think it's time to trade him. Give Brown a new contract and move him to the left side and draft a new tackle. I would be curious to see what a team would offer for him. I think we could get a third for him and move on from his salary and allocate it to Brown.
Originally posted by steiber:
Yes, I do think it's time to trade him. Give Brown a new contract and move him to the left side and draft a new tackle. I would be curious to see what a team would offer for him. I think we could get a third for him and move on from his salary and allocate it to Brown.

I would draft a new RT and see if he's capable before trading Staley. Or take Staley up on his desire to stay a 49er, cut his contract and move him to Guard after we draft a new RT.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 10, 2017 at 2:33 PM ]
Yeah, let's intentionally create a massive need and then look to fix it by overpaying a free agent that is likely to be a downgrade from Staley or invest draft resources on a player from college, which is suffering from an OL famine right now.

Great idea.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I thought about trading him to the Giants since they would be desperate but if CJ or another rookie comes into the fold next year we are going to need him to protect the QB so they don't get beat to hell early in their careers. Until we have a strong replacement he needs to stay.
No way....

Draft a QB high and give him the best chance of success possible Staley will help get a rookie QB functional quickly.

A 3rd or 4th rounder is not likely as useful to a rookie QB as Staley will be
Originally posted by Dshearn:
No way....

Draft a QB high and give him the best chance of success possible Staley will help get a rookie QB functional quickly.

A 3rd or 4th rounder is not likely as useful to a rookie QB as Staley will be

This, I agree completely..
Good Lord...isn't there something meaningful for you "fans" to do other than float goofy ideaslike this?
Lol no
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Lol no

Agreed. We have nobody waiting in the wings who is half as good as Joe Staley.

Next question!
Staley has given up a lot of sacks and pressures this year (for him) but when a LT gets older, you just move him to RT and draft a lineman to train behind him. Brown to LT.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM ]

• JMC52
  • Veteran
Yes full blown rebuild get value, that way when we are actually good again he's not on his way out
No.

Wow this is even a thread/question.
If you are in the time for CJ camp then you sure as hell cant trade him
Should have traded him during the draft, when his value was higher, because Joe's not looking all that sharp lately. Plus he might have got himself a ring. Better a year early that a year too late. Didn't Bill Walsh believe in that?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 11, 2017 at 3:21 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
you guys just make me laugh more often than some..

I've told you before the season started, while people around the NFL still thinks STALEY can play, we should trade him... now, everyone saw what I've been seeing the last 3 years and we finally thinking of offering him around??

you all gotta listen to me sometimes..

We let Watson (WR) getaway from Buffalo to the Rams for a mere 2nd rounder when we could have gotten him.. He could have been the Julio Jones of this offense.

We also ignored the fact that this team needs to be running the ball more than trying to be a passing offense under HALLER HOYER, we should have traded for PETERSON since Carlos HURT is at it again... Peterson still has 2 to 3 more years left and can really help this team.
Share 49ersWebzone