LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

49ers Week 6 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: Hard to say really. Clearly rusty. Almost at times looked like he was trying to make throws his old self could make but that he just doesn't have the arm strength to make yet/anymore. Was still nice to see them challenge vertically.

A lot has been made of his stats being good in first half and bad in the second half. Kinda think both of those need an asterisk. I don't think he played as well as stats would indicate in first half and I don't think he was as bad as stats indicate in second. LOTS of drops in there but also a few poor throws. The TD to Torrey was a poor throw...but honestly I kinda think Gabbert would never have even thrown it there at all.

Curious to see how he looks without that wind and at home. Might be the same. We'll see.

2) Armstead: Mixed bag. There are times he looks so good. Just shot out of a cannon with so much power. There are other times that he looks like his feet are in cement. Maybe thats just who he is. Dunno.

3) ILB: Really, Really hard to watch the ILB play out there after having watched Willis, Bowman, and even Borland for so many years. They lost both Bowman and Armstrong for the year, but hard to think of a worse ILB situation to the Niners right now. I'd like to see Skov get more play out there.

4) NT: Another big need in the offseason. The middle of the D is just getting rocked. Ian Williams coming back will help but hard to count on him. Good defenses are strong from the middle out. The Niners D's biggest weaknesses are right up the gut.

5) Brown: I'm sure there were som plays in there he'd like back, but 6 games into the season it really looks like we've got an excellent RT for the future. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

6) Garnett: Yikes. That sack was hard to watch. Not sure if he even laid a hand on the guy. I'd like to see Garnett get some playing time, but was Tiller really a part of the problem?

7) O'Neal: I keep remembering a report in the offseason about one of the complaints about O'Neal in Cleveland was that his D-Lineman were forced to think too much and not just play. This resulted in lots of mistakes in the scheme and gaping holes. Its really starting to resonate over the past few weeks. I dunno if thats the problem or not, but there are huge holes all over the field. Is that just personnel, scheme, or both?

8) Baalke: As everyone here knows, I've defended Baalke for a long time. If for not other reason than a change in direction, I think its time. The rub here though is that I don't want those reighns given to Chip. Gamble? Dunno.

9) Kaps protest: Just gotta say....I was equal parts ashamed and proud of our country watching many of the antics from Bills fans in the parking lot. The crosshairs Kap T-Shirts are a disgrace and turn my stomach...but it was nice to see the group of fans who took a knee in support.

10) Draft: lets be real...its a countdown to what their draft position will be and the damn Browns keep losing. LOL. My current draft crushes? 1st Pick: QB Deshaun Watson (don't like Kizer). 2nd Pick: WR Cortland Sutton.

On offense, the Niners have a good start on the o-Line, TEs are serviceable, and I like Kerley in the slot and Torrey on the outside. Chip will be around awhile as Niners can't just fire him after one year for PR and $$$ purposes. I think Watson would be a good fit for Chip and Sutton would be the type of WR they are missing.
Any theory on why Tyrod Taylor had no problems with the wind?
Finally off the baalke wagon huh?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Tyrod hasn't taken a year off. Kap's armstrength did not weaken. His arm is just as strong as ever. The off or tight throws have more to do with rust. Right now, his throws will be a little choppy but the more he plays at game speed, the smoother he will get in his throwing and he will get more accurate.
Hamm was suited up but saw no PT. Give him some playing time, he does not have to do much to pass the other tight ends.
  • Tman
  • Veteran

Lol this

I keep seeing that wind excuse pop up but tyrod seemed to be dropping dimes without issue

I'm not blaming the wind. Just saying I'd like to see him without. He didn't play well. No excuses.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Tyrod hasn't taken a year off. Kap's armstrength did not weaken. His arm is just as strong as ever. The off or tight throws have more to do with rust. Right now, his throws will be a little choppy but the more he plays at game speed, the smoother he will get in his throwing and he will get more accurate.

I actually think his arm has weakened. He's lost significant muscle mass. That doesn't mean it can't come back but we won't see it this year.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Finally off the baalke wagon huh?

I guess I can put it this way.

I like a lot of the ways Baalke handles the draft and while not pro bowlers I like a lot of the players he's selected...

...but they are BAD right now. He's made ALOT of picks and his fingerprints are on every player on the roster not named Joe Staley.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 18, 2016 at 9:53 AM ]

Originally posted by Marvin49:

8) Baalke: As everyone here knows, I've defended Baalke for a long time. If for not other reason than a change in direction, I think its time. The rub here though is that I don't want those reighns given to Chip. Gamble? Dunno.

Question for fans...would there be a difference?
Good post. I'm finished with Baalke too as of this weekend. I, like you, believe he's suffered from some bad luck and actually has a lot of strengths as a GM/talent evaluator, BUT we're too bad for the excuses to matter anymore. On the bright side, a new GM will inherit a young team with some real talent and potential, and good draft position.

Baalke's inability to give us ANY viable option at WR and quarterback for this season is ultimately unforgivable. My draft crush last year was Michael Thomas of Ohio State (now the Saints). I would trade Garnett for that guy in a heartbeat. To say nothing of, say, trading Will Redmond for Dak Prescott. For every late-round gem Baalke finds, he passes on a no-brainer pick half the Webzone would have made.

On a related note, I'm also finished with Jim O'Neill. The defense plays with no discipline and underachieves below even its own meager talent level. And they seem to get worse every week.
Baalke needs to be ousted ASAP.

* He was prepared to go into the season with Gabbert and Driskell as our QBs (prior to signing Ponder who hadn't played a down in almost two years) while trying to trade off Kaepernick.

* He added zero competition or insurance at ILB

* He added zero competition at NT, despite Purcell being terrible last year, Dorsey on the PUP with an ACL, and Williams having surgery before free agency AND the draft.

* He added zero competition or insurance at OLB outside of a couple UDFA rookies.

* Last year he traded for an ILB who stunk and doesn't fit the new scheme, and he kept Wilhoite despite him getting destroyed by 5th string rooks in the 4th pre-season game.

* He added zero proven competition at WR until Kerley at the end of the pre-season. His "effort" was to draft a 6th rounder and sign a CFL player to compete with UDFA holdovers.

This is utterly embarrassing and beyond unacceptable. Our collective lack of starting talent and severe insufficiency of depth is absolutely destroying us right now. It's why we're decimated by any single injury.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

oh hey you still post here, I thought you said you were leaving for the chiefs forum.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I actually think his arm has weakened. He's lost significant muscle mass. That doesn't mean it can't come back but we won't see it this year.

I'm not sure if 15-20 pounds affects arm strength. I'm not sure if weight affects armstrength much at all. Throwing more will help him get the trajectory back and I think that's what was affected most by him not throwing much in live game action. Some throws need to be made quicker than what he is accustomed to make in practice. He will get the game speed trajectory back after 2 or 3 games.
Share 49ersWebzone