LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Adding power run/option scheme would be huge for Chip Kelly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheNef77:
This isn't the same offense he had in Oregon or in his first year with Vick. This is a watered down version of what Foles had. Defenses had to over compensate to contain the scat back and that's how the dual threat QB killed them. I still don't understand why Chip didn't keep Vick, DJax, and Shady together but oh well. Chip the GM is horrible. Chip the Offensive Minded HC is great.

Because Vick was a terrible fit at QB. People get overly obsessed with a QB being super fast in Kelly's offense when decisiveness and top notch accuracy are a lot more important.

The decision making is largely done post-snap so your QB better be quick on his feet, have a quick release and have outstanding accuracy and ball placement.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I have been waiting to see Chip install a formation that can be used to grind out those tough 2-3 yards when needed , but it's obvious we will never see that happen under Chip Kelly, even if we do eventually acquire the players that fit his system.
but as of right now, I want Chip to go back to college , because I and others, simply don't have the patience to wait around and see if we do find the players to fit his offensive scheme
because I just don't envision his offense making a deep playoff run, plus it would take 2-3 seasons to actually build a roster that would be competitive using Kelly's system, and then there is no guarantees that it will successful as he would like
I'd rather hit the re-set button, and bring in a WCO coach, that will use a FB and TE at the same time, I seriously want to get back to "Big Boy Football" , it would be much easier to go back to our roots, and start playing real football again , we should have brought in a Shannahan /Holmgrem , a coach that's won it all on an NFL level using the WCO and power running

don't get me wrong, I enjoy Chip Kelly's offense, but at a college level , his offense will not have success, and it's because his offense does not have an option to use power when needed , and I am hoping that soon we will be rid of Jed and Trent, and bring in a smart GM and let him hire a solid coaching staff, and get back to 49ers football , this is 2 years in a row that we have been cheated of having a competitive team to cheer for , Trent and Jed have seriously ruined what could have been a powerhouse team , and after they poisoned the locker room and turned some of the players against Harbaugh, we STILL went 8-8 , something Kelly wont ever be able to achieve as 49ers head coach ....LETS START OVER , I'M SICK OF THIS ..I'm SICK OF JED, I'M SICK OF TRENT , but most of all , I'M SICK OF LOSING !!!!!

+1
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We possess power / players to do this?

#
I dont wanna say the oline is possibly being misused so I'm gonna say the line is probably being misused
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 26, 2016 at 4:32 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
Originally posted by jcs:
Chip Ego is too big to admit his system doesn't work. He's going to hammer down his 6 run plays until the season is over.

His system does work. Just doesn't have the personnel to run it.
Mobile QB -.yes
Mobile OL for tempo and pulls - no
Quick scat back that can stretch the field - no
Possesion WRs that can block downfield - no

No, his system doesn't work because it's a gimmick and got figured out.

What exactly got figured out? The only things particularly unique about the system are the tempo and the sideline audibles. It's a pretty standard spread offense otherwise. We're varying tempo too, not always playing super fast.

The problem isn't the system. His Eagles teams scored plenty of points and were ranked highly in efficiency every year. The problem is Jeremy Kerley is our best weapon in the passing game and we're starting Michael Wilhoite and Nick Bellore at ILB.

His limited run game, the read option... his playbook is based on a gimmick. Tell me how the Wildcat is doing. Tell me how the read option is doing elsewhere in the league...
Take Hyde and Kerley out... end of story IMO.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Now that Kap is most likely playing his last games as a 49er and the injury clause is removed, Chip can feel free to use Kap as an option QB. That'd be interesting to see. Here is Gabbert with an option RB pitch. Use Kap and Hyde this way and see how defenses adjust. Maybe run it to Staley's side because Brown can't hit his second level blocks.
Key red DE.

DE plays QB - pitch to RB.

As for inverted veer, the biggest concern is the QB running between the tackles. If Kap's health isn't an issue, do it. It was mentioned above that Chip does run Power plays.

Rugby Union and Rugby league style passing. Clever innovation
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
running up the middle out of the shotgun is basically our main running play , and every DC knows this , that's why Rex Ryan said they didn't need to make any adjustments at halftime , because we never change things up, it's the same ineffective plays over and over
and we don't have the players to run it is no damn excuse , this offensive line is talented enough to get the job done , and opposing defenses will always be ready for it, predictability is what screws us every week

...except Rex lied. I rewatched the game, and they were in man-1 with a spy for the whole first half. In the second half, they had cover 2, man-2, cover 3 cloud (IIRC), cover 3, as well as man-1 w/a spy. That's a significant change in strategy, imo.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by jcs:
Chip Ego is too big to admit his system doesn't work. He's going to hammer down his 6 run plays until the season is over.

His system does work. Just doesn't have the personnel to run it.
Mobile QB -.yes
Mobile OL for tempo and pulls - no
Quick scat back that can stretch the field - no
Possesion WRs that can block downfield - no

No, his system doesn't work because it's a gimmick and got figured out.

What exactly got figured out? The only things particularly unique about the system are the tempo and the sideline audibles. It's a pretty standard spread offense otherwise. We're varying tempo too, not always playing super fast.

The problem isn't the system. His Eagles teams scored plenty of points and were ranked highly in efficiency every year. The problem is Jeremy Kerley is our best weapon in the passing game and we're starting Michael Wilhoite and Nick Bellore at ILB.

His limited run game, the read option... his playbook is based on a gimmick. Tell me how the Wildcat is doing. Tell me how the read option is doing elsewhere in the league...

Seattle and Carolina didn't seem to be doing too badly. Panthers been injured a bit tho.
Actually seattles offense has been below mediocre and you talking about the 2-5 panthers?

Maybe THL can show that play last game with Kap under center running a hard play action pass to a crossing Burbrige for about 15 yards. Man was that refreshing to see some play action from under center. Would love to see more of it.
We aren't beating defenses to the punch anymore. May as well slow it down but go no huddle when they aren't expecting it. Keeping it different is what keeps defenses off guard. Trying to speed it up all the time allows defenses to get accustomed to it.
Put Blake bell to run the zone read and have designed keeps for him lol. Eff it run the wild cat with him.
Share 49ersWebzone