There are 178 users in the forums

Adding power run/option scheme would be huge for Chip Kelly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Bills did what Dallas did to us. They hid the playside LB over the 3i tech DL against the run. The tackle and guard can't figure out who gets the backer on the 2nd level so he's free. The read end would crash on the back and the playside LB gets a free shot at the QB. They pretty much overload the RB side because all we run is an inside zone/zone read.

If we added power and inverted veer, teams wouldn't know which side to favor. They would leave the backside end on an island if they did decide to favor one side of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHU4bzsBFtk
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Chip Ego is too big to admit his system doesn't work. He's going to hammer down his 6 run plays until the season is over.
Chip does run power. He does it how he runs every other play: out of the gun w/ single back.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by jcs:
Chip Ego is too big to admit his system doesn't work. He's going to hammer down his 6 run plays until the season is over.

His system does work. Just doesn't have the personnel to run it.
Mobile QB -.yes
Mobile OL for tempo and pulls - no
Quick scat back that can stretch the field - no
Possesion WRs that can block downfield - no
Looking forward to the off season. I think we'll be able to solve the issues you listed above.

Healthy Rogers/Ellington, sign a proven big WR like Vincent Jackson,draft a WR&scatback RB(D-Thomas will be a FA i believe).

OL will be in their second year in the system.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by jcs:

His system does work. Just doesn't have the personnel to run it.
Mobile QB -.yes
Mobile OL for tempo and pulls - no
Quick scat back that can stretch the field - no
Possesion WRs that can block downfield - no

We have Harris on the practice squad...and inactive on Gamedays when he is called up.

We let Devon Cajuice (Sp?) go. He was Big and possession type...I'm sure he could've blocked well. As well as Campell, who was a big WR.

No excuses for Chip when he has some players but the coaches chose to keep other players instead.
  • thl408
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Bills did what Dallas did to us. They hid the playside LB over the 3i tech DL against the run. The tackle and guard can't figure out who gets the backer on the 2nd level so he's free. The read end would crash on the back and the playside LB gets a free shot at the QB. They pretty much overload the RB side because all we run is an inside zone/zone read.

If we added power and inverted veer, teams wouldn't know which side to favor. They would leave the backside end on an island if they did decide to favor one side of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHU4bzsBFtk
Now that Kap is most likely playing his last games as a 49er and the injury clause is removed, Chip can feel free to use Kap as an option QB. That'd be interesting to see. Here is Gabbert with an option RB pitch. Use Kap and Hyde this way and see how defenses adjust. Maybe run it to Staley's side because Brown can't hit his second level blocks.
Key red DE.

DE plays QB - pitch to RB.

As for inverted veer, the biggest concern is the QB running between the tackles. If Kap's health isn't an issue, do it. It was mentioned above that Chip does run Power plays.
Hey thl, since you're the local film junkie around here, can I ask a favor of you? On the 30-yard TD to Justin hunter, were the 49ers in base defense against 10 personnel?

I forgot to record the game and I dont have accesss to the coaches film(too cheap).

I swear O'Neil had the niners in their base defense against a 4 WR set....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Adding better players would be huge for Chip Kelly.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Hey thl, since you're the local film junkie around here, can I ask a favor of you? On the 30-yard TD to Justin hunter, were the 49ers in base defense against 10 personnel?

I forgot to record the game and I dont have accesss to the coaches film(too cheap).

Yeah the 49ers were in base. BUF was in 11. Wilhoite vs TE (Clay) on weakside.

Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah the 49ers were in base. BUF was in 11 Wilhoite vs TE (Clay) on weakside.

Was at work only got to see bits of the game but damn....this base against an 11 ...so JoN is hooked into the coaches club and has some sort of golden ticket
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Adding better players would be huge for Chip Kelly.

pretty much this
  • thl408
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah the 49ers were in base. BUF was in 11 Wilhoite vs TE (Clay) on weakside.

Was at work only got to see bits of the game but damn....this base against an 11 ...so JoN is hooked into the coaches club and has some sort of golden ticket
It's because their nickel was getting steam rolled in the run game. Someone posted a stat on some thread where the 49ers nickel package was giving up 9+ ypc. Something like that.
Thx for the reply.

Seems like we're doomed either way. Go nickel and get gashed, or stay in base, force a safety to cover and get beat. sucks tartt was inactive. I'm sure O'Neil would've preferred to use his big nickel.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
What power?
Share 49ersWebzone