LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Build Your Dream Team (49ers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Joe vs Steve also comes down to what you want in a QB...in the modern era where a QB is asked to be more mobile and athletic I can definitely see the argument for Steve. Nothing against Joe...but his style game, the stat lines he put up it is starting to slide into the baseball stats arguments. It was a different era, the rules were different. You start to question could he do now what he did then? Steve's game is much more comparable to the modern QB...in fact you could say he was the prototype for what a team wants out of a passer to this day.

Would I personally still go with Joe? Yeah...I think big game, ice water veins and legit field general skills outweigh so many things and Joe had all of that on a level of nobody since. But I don't make the call lightly...if you put Steve Young on the field behind any of the Patriots teams we have watched or put him up in Denver during the Manning era...multiple titles get won no question.

Only disagreement with this is the definition of athletic. Montana was an All-State B-Ball player in HS, so his nimbleness and balance were exceptional. He wasn't as fast but he had other qualities that fall into athletic for me--vision, agility, mental toughness, physical toughness, etc.

what does mental toughness or vision have to do with being athletic lol.

either way. you can't go wrong with either one, especially when you have Rice and TO on the team. i would probably take Young just because he was more exiting too watch. don't think he was the better QB, but he was a little more enjoyable to watch as a fan.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Joe vs Steve also comes down to what you want in a QB...in the modern era where a QB is asked to be more mobile and athletic I can definitely see the argument for Steve. Nothing against Joe...but his style game, the stat lines he put up it is starting to slide into the baseball stats arguments. It was a different era, the rules were different. You start to question could he do now what he did then? Steve's game is much more comparable to the modern QB...in fact you could say he was the prototype for what a team wants out of a passer to this day.

Would I personally still go with Joe? Yeah...I think big game, ice water veins and legit field general skills outweigh so many things and Joe had all of that on a level of nobody since. But I don't make the call lightly...if you put Steve Young on the field behind any of the Patriots teams we have watched or put him up in Denver during the Manning era...multiple titles get won no question.

Joe's numbers still hold up especially in the efficiency stand point. The big difference is passing attempts. Joe attempted 500 only twice in his career (would've been 3 if 1982 wasn't shortened). Brady for example has had 11 seasons of 500+ attempts. Comparing the two the numbers, they are pretty close.

REGULAR Season averages

JOE(w SF) 64% 210ypg 94rate
TOM 64% 250ypg 96rate

PLAYOFFS

JOE 64% 250ypg 98rate
TOM 63% 258ypg 88rate

I'd argue if you give Joe the 500+ attempts a year during the regular season he closes that 40ypg gap.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM ]
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
what does mental toughness or vision have to do with being athletic lol.

either way. you can't go wrong with either one, especially when you have Rice and TO on the team. i would probably take Young just because he was more exiting too watch. don't think he was the better QB, but he was a little more enjoyable to watch as a fan.

Mental toughness and vision are two elements of athleticism that are extremely important to be a quality football player. One is the underpinning of the whole building of a great athlete and the other is vital to completing passes and seeing the field. The fact that you seem to isolate "athletic" to running and physical strength is one way of looking at it. Wrong, but your right to be wrong.

Let me give you examples: Jay Cutler is one of the most physically gifted QBs in the NFL. Does he have mental toughness? But by your standard he's a better QB than Steve Young or Joe Montana. Better arm, just as fast as Montana...

Kaepernick is more physically imposing than either Montana or Young, so by your standard he is a better QB than either.

But you might argue..."Results!" Yes, results are important and mental toughness and vision are very important elements to winning.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM ]
Lol this has turned into a Joe vs Steve thread
Im going to make this interesting.... I'm going to say over the last 20 years... 1996-2016

QB - Steve Young - Jeff Garcia - Alex Smith
RB - Frank Gore - Garrison Hearst - Carlos Hyde
FB - William Floyd - Bruce Miller
WR - Jerry Rice - Terrell Owens - Michael Crabtree - Anquan Boldin - Brandon Lloyd
TE - Vernon Davis - Delanie Walker - Brent Jones
LT - Joe Staley
LG - Ray Brown
C - Jesse Sapolu
RG - Jeremy Newberry
RT - Trent Brown

LE - Justin Smith
DT - Bryant Young
RE - Ray McDonald
LOLB - Aldon Smith
MLB - Patrick Willis
MLB - Navorro Bowman
ROLB - Julian Peterson
CB - Rod Woodson
CB - Walt Harris
NCB - Carlos Rogers
SS - Donte Whitner
FS - Merton Hanks
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:

Sounds like a very good idea!

Beats the hell out of the QB fight in the other thead. I liked the the QB controversy of the all time greatest vs a solid top 10-15 QB all time vs the mess we have now.

Steve's my favorite because of his quest of trying to live up to Joe's incredible standard. I just loved watching Steve play so much but Joe is the greatest QB I've ever seen play. It was art.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
3-4 D
DE-smith
NT-Carter
DE-Young
ILB-Willis
ILB-Norton/Bowman (sorry can't decide)
OLB-Haley
OLB-Smith/Dean(sorry can't decide)
CB-Wright
CB-Sanders
S-Lott
S-Hicks

Let me help you:

Norton & Dean were trades. The other two were drafted by us.

Norton was a Cowboy and became a Hawk LB coach and now a Raider DC.

Dean came in from the Chargers and helped us to two SBs.

Norton was very good and instrumental in '94, and I have no real beef with him really......but Bowman is on pace like Willis to be a Niner only LB and that has to win the nod IMO.

Dean over Aldonicus is ok, even though on pure talent I think our prodigal son was better.

Bowman all day over Norton. Kenny Norton broke BY's Leg and his pops broke Ali's jaw
Originally posted by Niners816:

Beats the hell out of the QB fight in the other thead. I liked the the QB controversy of the all time greatest vs a solid top 10-15 QB all time vs the mess we have now.

Steve's my favorite because of his quest of trying to live up to Joe's incredible standard. I just loved watching Steve play so much but Joe is the greatest QB I've ever seen play. It was art.

Since we are not coaching or managing these guys, I'd rather talk about the greats! Now if I could be in the coaches room this week...
QB: Joe Montana
RB: Frank Gore
FB: Roger Craig
WR: Jerry Rice
WR Terrell Owens
WR: Dwight Clark
TE: Brent Jones
LT: Joe Staley
LG Guy Mcintyre
C: Jesse Sapolu
RG: Kevin Gogan
RT: Harris Barton

LE:Fred Dean
DT: Bryant Young
RE: Justin Smith
LOLB: Charles Haley
MLB: NaVorro Bowman
MLB: Patrick Willis
ROLB: Keena Turner
LCB: Deion Sanders
RCB: Eric Davis
FS: Ronnie Lott
SS: Tim MCdonald

P: Andy Lee
K: Joe Nedney

KR/PR John Taylor

Originally posted by pelos21:
Qb. Young
Fb. Beasley
Rb. Gore and Craig
Wr. Owens, rice and Taylor
Te. Eric Johnson
Lt. staley
Lg. allen
C. Newberry
Rg. Gogan
Rt. Deese

3-4 defense

Le. Young
Re. J smith
Dt. Ted Washington
Olb. Norton
Mlb. Willis
Mlb. Bowman
Olb. Haley
Cb. Primetime
Cb. Lott
Fs. Hanks
Ss. McDonald

Pretty formidable team I would say
Agreed, except I'd have D. Walker or B. Jones at Te. I also got love for D. Stubblefield at Nt
PK: Jose Cortez.
I'm currently reading Steve Young's new book so it got me in the mood for these gifs

A nightmare counts as a dream right? My nightmare team:

QB: Steve Stentsrom
RB: Jamal Robertson
FB: Zak Keasey
WR: Brett Swain
WR: P.J. Fleck
WR: Rashaun Woods
TE: Aaron Walker
LT: Anthony Clement
LG: Jordan Devey
C: Marcus Martin
RG: Chilo Rachal