LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

2016 week 5 Arizona Cardinals coaches film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well, sadly, this may be all I have time and ability to post this evening. I just got a text from Verizon stating that my new Note S7(the one that was supposed to be fixed...) that Samsung is completely recalling all of them due to, "safety concerns" and that I need to turn it back in immediately for a replacement phone of a different model. That means, since I live in a small town, that I'll be making a 2-3 hour round-trip drive to a verizon store to get a new phone....

Congrats on the baby! bummer about the phone...thanks as always for the write up.

Love to see what the F is going on with our run D? Scheme? lack of talent? I'm guessing a little of both.

Thanks!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Well, sadly, this may be all I have time and ability to post this evening. I just got a text from Verizon stating that my new Note S7(the one that was supposed to be fixed...) that Samsung is completely recalling all of them due to, "safety concerns" and that I need to turn it back in immediately for a replacement phone of a different model. That means, since I live in a small town, that I'll be making a 2-3 hour round-trip drive to a verizon store to get a new phone....

Congrats on the baby! bummer about the phone...thanks as always for the write up.

Love to see what the F is going on with our run D? Scheme? lack of talent? I'm guessing a little of both.

Thanks!

Arians kept us in this game by not running DJ every single play. He was gashing us for 8-10 yards per touch. The DL got blown back every single snap, and the LBs can't defeat blocks and are poor tacklers.

This team is toast.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Arians kept us in this game by not running DJ every single play. He was gashing us for 8-10 yards per touch. The DL got blown back every single snap, and the LBs can't defeat blocks and are poor tacklers.

This team is toast.

He got almost 30 attempts don't think you can give him more lol.

Losing Williams and both our starting ILB (plus no buckner) hurts big time...it's just crazy because we held one of he best RBs week 1 to like 30 yards lol...is it because they have game tape on JoN's defense now? I don't think it's all lack of talent. Clevland got eaten alive in the run game last yr under JoN. Not sure if he has to just make things more simplistic read react vs throwing out some crazy scheme? Seems like coach Arians just out coached him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

This team is toast.

He got almost 30 attempts don't think you can give him more lol.

Losing Williams and both our starting ILB (plus no buckner) hurts big time...it's just crazy because we held one of he best RBs week 1 to like 30 yards lol...is it because they have game tape on JoN's defense now? I don't think it's all lack of talent. Clevland got eaten alive in the run game last yr under JoN. Not sure if he has to just make things more simplistic read react vs throwing out some crazy scheme? Seems like coach Arians just out coached him.

one thing that we really struggle to defend are the stretch run plays. ARI ran more power-man than our previous 3 teams but they're biggest gashes on us came on stretch zone plays. We really struggle with 2 gapping responsibility and our guys on the edge have allowed runs to get pushed too far outside. In the past, we could keep those stretch plays collapsed down, shrinking the gaps and making it easier on the interior guys. Now, our guys are getting driven across in different places.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I was taking my wife to one of her regular OB/GYN checkups as she's about 5 months pregnant with our first baby. Normally, she has those appointments on a Monday, but since it was a holiday, they were close and our appointment was for later this morning.

Congrats on the baby, jonnydel! That is great news.

Now back to football lol

D-line - Our D-line has been getting dominated. I think anyone can see that. It's gonna be a long season and I know we have injuries, but still. If our O-line didn't get a pass last year, I'm not giving our D-line one this year.

This has been the most surprising and disappointing development of the season for me. After investing a Top 10 pick in Buckner, in addition to the continued development of Dial and AA, the assumption was that this would be a better unit than last year. The unit has somehow regressed.

What happened? Was Ian Williams that crucial to the d-line, or is it more scheme? Injuries have surely taken a toll, as mentioned with Ian Williams. AA and Buckner are banged up too, but it doesn't explain how poorly they've played as a unit. We missing Tomsula?

I was hoping we could cover up the loss of Ian since nose tackles are used like 30-40% of snaps, but in hindsight losing our 2nd or arguably our very best player from last year is hurting a lot. He was very very good against the run last year and I suspect we would have used him as more than just a nose tackle this year especially with the run defensing being as bad as it is. I don't doubt our run defense would be significatly better this year with Ian and it would have helped take the load off of Bow and Ray-ray... maybe they wouldn't be injury now if we'd had him...

Hopefully Ian and Bow can come back next year ready to go.
  • thl408
Originally posted by matguy87:
I was taking my wife to one of her regular OB/GYN checkups as she's about 5 months pregnant with our first baby. Normally, she has those appointments on a Monday, but since it was a holiday, they were close and our appointment was for later this morning.

Now back to football lol

D-line - Our D-line has been getting dominated. I think anyone can see that. It's gonna be a long season and I know we have injuries, but still. If our O-line didn't get a pass last year, I'm not giving our D-line one this year.

This has been the most surprising and disappointing development of the season for me. After investing a Top 10 pick in Buckner, in addition to the continued development of Dial and AA, the assumption was that this would be a better unit than last year. The unit has somehow regressed.

What happened? Was Ian Williams that crucial to the d-line, or is it more scheme? Injuries have surely taken a toll, as mentioned with Ian Williams. AA and Buckner are banged up too, but it doesn't explain how poorly they've played as a unit. We missing Tomsula?

I was hoping we could cover up the loss of Ian since nose tackles are used like 30-40% of snaps, but in hindsight losing our 2nd or arguably our very best player from last year is hurting a lot. He was very very good against the run last year and I suspect we would have used him as more than just a nose tackle this year especially with the run defensing being as bad as it is. I don't doubt our run defense would be significatly better this year with Ian and it would have helped take the load off of Bow and Ray-ray... maybe they wouldn't be injury now if we'd had him...

The bolded was being done last season. There are teams (SEA) that like to get defenses into nickel, then run against that. One of the ways to combat this is to use the NT as one of the nickel DTs so that it keeps a good run stuffer on the field. Ian's loss is big because it removes the best player (run stuffing DL) from an area of weakness (run defense). I never bought the argument that NT's have lesser importance because they only play 33% of snaps. Those base run downs are important because if the offense rips off 5 yards to make it 2nd & 5, then the offense has its full playbook for the next two downs. If the defense earns a 2nd & 8, it helps to dictate the offense's next move.
Originally posted by thl408:

Now back to football lol

The bolded was being done last season. There are teams (SEA) that like to get defenses into nickel, then run against that. One of the ways to combat this is to use the NT as one of the nickel DTs so that it keeps a good run stuffer on the field. Ian's loss is big because it removes the best player (run stuffing DL) from an area of weakness (run defense). I never bought the argument that NT's have lesser importance because they only play 33% of snaps. Those base run downs are important because if the offense rips off 5 yards to make it 2nd & 5, then the offense has its full playbook for the next two downs. If the defense earns a 2nd & 8, it helps to dictate the offense's next move.

Good points. Ian played more downs than the average NT because of his ability to also play in Nickel. He was a key player for us anchoring the d-line. Honestly, I was expecting Purcell or Dorsey to pick up the slack and minimize the loss. Clearly underestimated Ian's value to the defense.
Here's a play that highlights the loss of Bow and shows how JoN is trying to scheme away the loss - but it bites us.

This play should look familiar to anyone who's followed these threads for a while. We ran this play a lot during Harbaugh's time. It's a power play with Iupati as the pulling guard. JoN, in an attempt to cover up for the loss of Bow is going to bring a strong side scrape exchange blitz.

At the snap you see Brook cross the face of the outside blocker and Bellore coming off the edge. This isn't just great anticipation, it was a run blitz.

Because we're scrape exchanging, the whole line is slanting toward the weakside - the idea is that we're going to fill all the gaps. This allows Armstead to get moved out of the hole and the T on that side is free to move to the 2nd level.

Bellore is free off the edge, but you're asking a lot of a big guy to run around the end of the LOS, turn and make a tackle in space. This is a special teams guy, not Bow. The TE got enough of a shove on Brooks to get him out of the play. With Bellore the only guy off the edge, we're terribly exposed off that side.

Bellore isn't able to turn the corner hard enough and Johnson gives him a little shake and he's gone.

Now, with Brooks out of the play and the T on Wilhoite - buuubye. 17 yard gain for the Cards.
Here was one of the reasons we struggled in the run game, at times. One thing about Kelly's offense and his running game - he relies on mis-direction a lot to open up the running lanes. The defenses he's faced in the NFC west are all good, disciplined run defenses and so some of his runs are going to have a really hard time getting going.

This play should look familiar from last week. We ran this inside zone out of a 2-back set to combat the scrape exchange Dal was running against us. Here, Ari just relies on their players playing disciplined.

Most zone blocking plays leave a man unblocked. In Kelly's scheme, he relies on that end man getting held up by the QB run action to open up cutback lanes if the defense over-pursues to the play-side. At the snap, you see the defense crashing on the play-side. Jones, #55 is playing disciplined. He's not crashing on the run, but it's selling out to the QB run either as he knows he's got an outside contain man. This play is all about how Jones plays it. Ari is helping out that EMLOS by giving him outside help so that he can play in between and ready to attack either way but doesn't have to keep contain - that's 22's job.

you see Staley and Kilgore are attacking the LB's but the ILB has already gotten up to fill the hole. Draughn's job is to block outside in case of QB run, so he runs right past Jones. You see Jones is keeping his body square to the LOS - he's playing very disciplined here.

The front-side is stuffed so you see Hyde wants to cut it back. If Jones weren't in position, this would be great. You'd have Hyde 1v1 in space against a safety. Something no safety wants to see. But, because of the way Ari played QB contain and how disciplined Jones was, it forces the play to the RB and with how we run our zone runs out of shotgun all the time, it makes it harder for our RB's to make quick cutbacks.

Jones tackles Hyde for a 1 yard loss.

We've got to figure out a way to turn our -1 yard runs into 2 and 3 yard runs. We can't keep putting ourselves in 3rd and 11's or have a 2nd and 6 turn into a 3rd and 7. It puts too much stress on our receivers and whoever our QB is.
  • thl408
Here's a play that highlights the loss of Bow and shows how JoN is trying to scheme away the loss - but it bites us.

This play should look familiar to anyone who's followed these threads for a while. We ran this play a lot during Harbaugh's time. It's a power play with Iupati as the pulling guard. JoN, in an attempt to cover up for the loss of Bow is going to bring a strong side scrape exchange blitz.

At the snap you see Brook cross the face of the outside blocker and Bellore coming off the edge. This isn't just great anticipation, it was a run blitz.

Because we're scrape exchanging, the whole line is slanting toward the weakside - the idea is that we're going to fill all the gaps. This allows Armstead to get moved out of the hole and the T on that side is free to move to the 2nd level.

Bellore is free off the edge, but you're asking a lot of a big guy to run around the end of the LOS, turn and make a tackle in space. This is a special teams guy, not Bow. The TE got enough of a shove on Brooks to get him out of the play. With Bellore the only guy off the edge, we're terribly exposed off that side.

Bellore isn't able to turn the corner hard enough and Johnson gives him a little shake and he's gone.

Now, with Brooks out of the play and the T on Wilhoite - buuubye. 17 yard gain for the Cards.

This was the first play of the game. Like you said, the playcall got Bellore into the backfield, not great anticipation. I think he should make the play here because the run blitz put him in what I think is good position. He took a very wide path to the backfield and that left a gaping lane for DJohnson. I think this one is on Bellore and his poor path to the ball carrier.

Now back to football lol

Good points. Ian played more downs than the average NT because of his ability to also play in Nickel. He was a key player for us anchoring the d-line. Honestly, I was expecting Purcell or Dorsey to pick up the slack and minimize the loss. Clearly underestimated Ian's value to the defense.

Awesome points. Yeah, Williams actually played 60% of our snaps last year...basically, like Ward (66%). They were "starters" in a defense that was in nickel/dime a lot.
This was the first play of the game. Like you said, the playcall got Bellore into the backfield, not great anticipation. I think he should make the play here because the run blitz put him in what I think is good position. He took a very wide path to the backfield and that left a gaping lane for DJohnson. I think this one is on Bellore and his poor path to the ball carrier.

The question comes to, and we can't know the answer, what is JoN asking him to do? Is he trying to bring Bellore as the disruptive force or Brooks? Is Bellore's main responsibility outside contain? If so, I could understand the wider track so he can't get out run and give himself a better angle to square up on an edge.

You're right though, he was in the backfield and had a chance to make a play and it shows how we're going to miss Bow....
  • thl408

The question comes to, and we can't know the answer, what is JoN asking him to do? Is he trying to bring Bellore as the disruptive force or Brooks? Is Bellore's main responsibility outside contain? If so, I could understand the wider track so he can't get out run and give himself a better angle to square up on an edge.

You're right though, he was in the backfield and had a chance to make a play and it shows how we're going to miss Bow....
Watching this play in slow mo, I can't answer the question in bold. Brooks hits the inside shoulder of the EMOL (TE) hard, almost too hard. Couple that with Bellore's wide path and that's how the lane appears. I feel as though Bellore is supposed to beat the pulling guard to the spot and be a disruptive force, forcing the RB to perhaps go lateral, which is what a defense wants. Bellore took such a wide path that the pulling guard had no one to block. If Bellore doesn't put any arc to his path, it compresses that lane imo.
We had multiple instances in the game where we had breakdowns in pass-pro. Draughn had a sup-par game, to me, in pass pro. However, it is worth noting that our RB's aren't asked to do a lot of pass blocking in Kelly's system, so it's not something they do on a regular.

One thing ARI loves to do is bring cover-o blitzes. They do on this occasion, unlike sometimes when a receiver will stay in to block, they'll blitz, they "spy" their receivers to make sure no leaks out on a check-release. #36 in on Draughn 22 is on Celek. They run a 6 man blitz with interior stunts. The stunts aren't actually what screws us...

We slide the line to the TE side and are able to pick up the extra rushers. There seems to be some confusion here between Brown and Celek. My experience and all the tape I've watched, when a line slides to one side, the off man from the LOS(usually a RB or FB or "U" back where Celek is lined up) will step up in between the T and G and the T will block the end man on the LOS. Brown doesn't slide out, as if he's expecting Celek to take the EMLOS. You'll see the same thing on the other side. Staley takes the EMLOS and Draughn steps up between the G and T.

Draughn steps up to take on 51 and celek is looking inside to give help there.

The blitzing LB blows right past/through Draughn and is in the backfield. You also see Brown and Celek both trying to block the same area....

The LB is now coming straight at Gabs and the guy off the end is around both Celek and Brown. Also, note that Gabbert is just hitting his back step. This is the load step to start to make your throw. But, he doesn't even get through his dropback before there's a guy running free at him.

So, as he finishes his dropback he can't step up, he can't go left and he can't go right.....balls......

Arizona has a conference meeting at the quarterback. Doesn't matter who the quarterback is, we gotta pass block better than that.

Watching this play in slow mo, I can't answer the question in bold. Brooks hits the inside shoulder of the EMOL (TE) hard, almost too hard. Couple that with Bellore's wide path and that's how the lane appears. I feel as though Bellore is supposed to beat the pulling guard to the spot and be a disruptive force, forcing the RB to perhaps go lateral, which is what a defense wants. Bellore took such a wide path that the pulling guard had no one to block. If Bellore doesn't put any arc to his path, it compresses that lane imo.
I think he tried, he just couldn't do it physically. You see his body leaning almost the whole way, he's trying sooo hard to turn that corner, lol. But just....can't....do it. That's kinda what I meant when I said it's asking a lot of a guy. Not that I think what JoN is asking is crazy, but might be too much for who he's got on the field.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone