LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

2016 week 5 Arizona Cardinals coaches film analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Is it just me... or do we run every single play out of the shotgun?

That's Chip being Chip.

I have co-worker who's an Eagles fan and he pretty much said that was the most frustrating thing about Chip's system and it's not sustainable in the NFL.

Eagles fans loving Peterson right now.
  • thl408
Here's his pass defensed.
Press bump and run vs John Brown. Much better feet positioning. Ball is on the 27 yard line.

No better way to impede a WR than to have a hand full of chest.

Brown can't get RR off.

Ball comes right as Brown turns around and he drops it because he located it too late due to shoving and pushing with RR.

That's contact way past the 5 yards from LoS. Oh well.
I have co-worker who's an Eagles fan and he pretty much said that was the most frustrating thing about Chip's system and it's not sustainable in the NFL.

They are off to a nice start. Peterson is doing a good job. Also found themselves a good, young QB...so that helps.

But we'll see what happens in the future. There was a time when Chip came onto the scene like gangbusters and Eagles fans loved him. 2 winning season first 2 years. One losing season later and he's a stooge who can't win in the NFL lol.

Point is, that's just fans being fans. Harbaugh was wildly successful here, and some fans here think he's a coach who's offense got figured out, can't work in the NFL anymore...etc....He's obviously a great coach.

Right now things are not looking good for Chip and the team, but it's not like he has a ton to work with. His scheme, like any scheme, can move the ball and score points when you have talent. It's not perfect, there are legitimate questions about his offense, and maybe it doesn't play complimentary football with all 3 phases of the game. I just know that right now there are plays there to be made. The talent just isn't there to execute.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM ]
Thanks for the cut-ups of Robinson, thl. Dude has definitely been a bright spot. For a guy that skinny, he's awfully strong in press.
  • thl408
Here's Tartt's PBU and it shows off a nice read of the WR.
Tartt with off man coverage vs Fitz

As soon as Fitz breaks inside, Tartt starts his break towards the slant.

Almost got an INT.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

They are off to a nice start. Peterson is doing a good job. Also found themselves a good, young QB...so that helps.

But we'll see what happens in the future. There was a time when Chip came onto the scene like gangbusters and Eagles fans loved him. 2 winning season first 2 years. One losing season later and he's a stooge who can't win in the NFL lol.

Point is, that's just fans being fans. Harbaugh was wildly successful here, and some fans here think he's a coach who's offense got figured out, can't work in the NFL anymore...etc....He's obviously a great coach.

Right now things are not looking good for Chip and the team, but it's not like he has a ton to work with. His scheme, like any scheme, can move the ball and score points when you have talent. It's not perfect, there are legitimate questions about his offense, and maybe it doesn't play complimentary football with all 3 phases of the game. I just know that right now there are plays there to be made. The talent just isn't there to execute.

Fair post. I guess we'll just have to find out. I'm even more skeptical now though because honestly, shotgun on every play sounds very gimmicky to me.
@jonnydel
I won't openly disagree with your assessment that Kelly was ultimately responsible for the 2nd int, but don't you think that an NFL coach would be smart enough to tell his QB to watch out for the defense playing the anticipated scheme and not the players?

I just can't believe that Kelly wouldn't tell his QBs to watch exactly that and adjust the read and throw accordingly. Torrey probably runs that go route every time because it eventually leads his defender to play him with a lot of cussion, so that's possibly the point where the ball should go to him.

I think that that's exactly the hard part of being a Quarterback in Kelly's Offense: to see the point where the defense plays the scheme/route and not the receiver.
  • thl408
And the other throw that was hard to watch.
Mills (yellow + red) combined with a Fade-Out (yellow + orange) vs man coverage

ARI is manned up except for two underneath zone defenders (orange). An odd coverage. The safety (blue) is manned up and drives on the Dig route. Two ARI defenders are picked (red) and that's what gets separation for Streater.

CB with outside leverage vs Streater's Post with no safety help.

Blame it on the Blaine.
Fair post. I guess we'll just have to find out. I'm even more skeptical now though because honestly, shotgun on every play sounds very gimmicky to me.

The league is trending toward more shotgun anyways, but Chip's scheme certainly takes it to the extreme. I can't recall a single passing play from under center. There may have been a few runs from under center.
And the other throw that was hard to watch.
Mills (yellow + red combined with a Fade-Out (yellow + orange) vs man coverage

ARI is manned up except for two underneath zone defenders (orange). An odd coverage. The safety (blue) is manned up and drives on the Dig route. Two ARI defenders are picked (red) and that's what gets separation for Streater.

CB with outside leverage vs Streater's Post with no safety help.

Blame it on the Blaine.

This one was a killer. That could have been a TD, or at the very least a 40-50 yard gain.

• thl408
Here's the nice 24 yard gain to Kerley on the 1st TD drive.
4 verticals vs Cover1 robber

As Gab does playaction, he's looking to his left. This pulls the safety over (blue). Kerley starts his route by stemming outside.

Safety moves with eyes so progress to side without the safety. Matthieu's hips are turned towards the sideline because of Kerley's stem. Kerley starts to break inside.

Safety removed. CB gets spun. Throw needs to lead WR towards the inside.

+24. Three plays later the 49ers score a TD.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The league is trending toward more shotgun anyways, but Chip's scheme certainly takes it to the extreme. I can't recall a single passing play from under center. There may have been a few runs from under center.

There was a few plays from under center, also a couple of pistol formations
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Johnny can you speak more about Rashard Robinsons skill set? Hes been a bright spot the past few games but has he been a beneficiary of bad wr/qb play or is he legit? Can you speak to his technique and decision making?
I'll show two of his plays where he can be seen from the broadcast cam. It's hard to show anything clear from the all22 of player technique.

Press bump and run vs 6'3" Floyd. The ball is already snapped and RR's feet aren't set. He will recover, but I doubt he's being taught to do this. Feet should be parallel to LoS or close to parallel.

RR smacks Floyd right in the chest and holds it. Floyd can't RR off him.

Robinson getting physical with a big bodied WR. Floyd's slant is defeated. Target went somewhere else (Tartt with a nice pass break up).

Ahhh my jam press. Well done kid!

That said, you can't miss otherwise you're screwed. You have to be calculated but I love it om third downs.

I badly wish we could get Johnson in their. That's his specialty as well IIRC. Cromartie as well.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Wanted to show the last INT and how I put it on Kelly. To do that, you're going to have to bear with me as there's going to be a lot of pics.

Here's a play early in the 2nd quarter. Kelly likes to start out in this formation a lot 3 receivers to one side with the TE on the other and the HB in the pistol. About half the time he'll motion one of the receivers across the formation though. Note that Kerley is the closest receiver inside. This is the first pass thrown out of this formation with Kerley in this position.

We're going to run a mix of concepts. Divide + flood. We have a "divide" concept with the streak/post combo and a "flood" with the streak/D-out/shallow cross.

We run PA first(we run 75% of the time out of this formation) it holds up the LB's and Ari is in quarters cover(i think).

You see the double on the post, Peterson is taking care of Torrey(this is a formation where he only ever runs a streak...) and Marcus Cooper is attacking Kerley's route.

There's a busted coverage at the bottom with the RB - but I think this is designed to go to Kerley(i think...not sure though). We get 13 yards on a completion to Kerley.

This is later in the 2nd quarter. Again, Kerley is the closets receiver in from the same formation. Again, we're going to run divide+flood. This is the 2nd pass out of this formation.

We run PA...look familiar??

Ari is in zone. Your see the coverage on the post, you see Peterson has T. Smith again(again...the only route he runs from this formation....) and the underneath crossing route is attracting the LB to open up the D-Out.

Kerley is once again open. This time Ari doesn't bust coverage on the RB

Don't let the flip of the play fool you. Same formation, just flipped. This will be the 4th pass run out of this formation with Kerley in that inside spot. The next time they threw this formation it was still a flood concept. Kerley ran a hitch-out, so his route was still the intermediate route - no vertical route threatened from this formation. Also, we didn't run any run action fake on that play. Again, you see it's the divide+flood.

PA fake - this time the RB didn't move for the fake because of a blitz p/up assignment. But Gabs still carries out the fake - guess where the ball is going....anyone??? I bet Marcus Cooper knows.....

Look out how they're playing the other routes, they're expecting them. Peterson has no fear of an underneath route, the safeties are jumping on the post and Marcus Cooper is sitting flat footed on the out route - he knows it's coming and baits Gabs. When Kerley starts his break, he looks open. But Cooper knew this route was coming and was ready to drive on it.

He drives to under-cut the route.

The throw was a little behind Kerley, but not much. I don't think it would've mattered anyway. Cooper saw the route coming the whole way. It was the same play, out of the same formation, the 3rd time and there was only ever 1 variation that never threatened deep. Once he saw that PA fake on the throw, he knew where it was going and he knew the route that was coming.

This was a HUGE point in the game. We were down 21-14 at this point and had just stopped Arizona. To me, this is on Kelly the whole way. You can't be that predictable in your formations. If I could catch this watching film. You better believe these guys did when it's their job.....

I know it is easy to judge from the tape but... i think Kaepernick would of ran right instead of making the throw. Look how open it is... there is an advantage to running a play again too, blaine was baited to throw to kerley but if blaine wasn't having a panic attack he could bait them back.

In other words you can't blame chip for throwing to kerley again
[ Edited by Matchuu84 on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM ]
I want to say something about the QB issue before it starts because I think we can lose the forest for the trees, sometimes. We're a bad team. We could, obviously, get better production out of our starting qb but I fear we still wouldn't win many games. I'm not saying we keep playing Gabbert, I'm saying we need to realize that this teams problems run much deeper. We gave up another 100 yard rusher - this time the highest single rusher of the season in the league. In the modern NFL teams that allow a 100 yard rusher lose 75% of the time. That's a problem and it's shown to be the real determining factor for if we win or lose. We won the 1 game we didn't allow a 100 yard rusher and lost the 4 games we've allowed them. People say our running game doesn't get going because we're too predictable when we run and the other team stacks the box. At one point, the Cards ran on 12/13 plays. We knew they were gonna run it. We stacked the box. We still couldn't stop them. So, what excuse do we have?? We don't...we suck. We have problems all over the field and we're gonna need CK to play all-world or better to help us overcome so many deficiencies. I thought we actually had the 2nd worst QB in that game. Drew Stanton's numbers were worse than Gabs(save for the picks) and he wasn't facing near the pressure and has much better receivers. Yet, his team was able to overcome his deficiencies. We are simply a bad team.

Great write up. Totally agree with the running game comment. This team has big issues, and even if we light up the scoreboard, we are likely to lose. See NO. Brees can score a ton but their D sucks so they lose. Gabbert was garbage, but even if he played well, we still would lose. Same thing for Kap. Honestly the only thing you can look for in the remainder of the season is trying to decide if Kap can be 2012-2013 Kap, or is he 14 & 15 kap.

I think Tyrod and McCoy have a big day on Sunday.
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Oct 12, 2016 at 6:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone