LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

49ers Week 5 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Marvin, no mention of any bright spots besides Robinson? I would throw Hyde's red zone production. He has what? 6 TDs on the year?

Also besides the interior line and LBs how do you ignore the wart named Brock on the back end? Pass rush or not he's the biggest liability in coverage. Look for teams to target him all season until he starts picking off a few passes.

I only use 10 points, but Brock has struggled for sure.

I like Hydes ability to get into the endzone, but lets see if he can still walk upright for the entire season.
Originally posted by znk916:
Disagree on Kap, we don't need to see him again to know that he's not the answer. Guy is about to turn 29, had scheme continuity his first three years in the league and got progressively worse. There's no such thing as Kapexcuses because you can't make any for him.

What is progressively worse? 4,000 total yards 20/10 TD INT ratio, 61% comp percentage 7 ypa in 2014 isn't awful at all. harbs scheme wasn't made to make the qb the center of the offense not even in college before and now....even luck who we can all agree is a much better overall qb never blasted out for 4,000+ yards under Jim.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Marvin is spot on. Gabbert isn't it. Kap probably isn't, but we have to see him. No choice.

This
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They need to switch to a 4-3, they have no nt or inside lbs

Are you suggesting they have DTs?

Dial and Dorsey in the middle or even DeFo and Dorsey in the middle with Tank and AA on the ends. I give up on Purcell.
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They need to switch to a 4-3, they have no nt or inside lbs

Are you suggesting they have DTs?

Dial and Dorsey in the middle or even DeFo and Dorsey in the middle with Tank and AA on the ends. I give up on Purcell.

I don't really see how that line is much better. Defo and Armstead are prototype 3-4 ends. You switch to a 4-3 and you are playing everyone out of position.
Good write up Marvin. I think most of your points are valid. As far as Baalke, I've always tried to stay open minded about him. If the organization had let him go this past off season then I wouldn't have flinched but they didn't and I think in taking the open minded approach, you can say he's had a couple rough hands. Before all those retirements last off season, as well as Aldon going full potato, people forget that this team was still viewed as a playoff contender at the time. There is talent on the defense and he's positioned some young potential building blocks on it with four former first round picks starting and two guys in Bowman and Ian Williams that when healthy are among the very best at their positions. Now we have a young and exciting corner in Robinson on the up and up. So I can see the argument for keeping him around. On top of those youthful potential building blocks, he seems to have the offensive line pointed in the right direction. We have a young back that fits Chip's scheme really well. We look to be heading the direction of another top ten pick next year and plenty of cap space to play with. There are speculations that he had less to do with hiring Tomsula then he did Harbaugh and Chip, and with these young players, some are in their third system in three years and the others, their second in as many years. That is counterproductive for a young man's development, and can definitely stunt it. I understand the arguments for keeping him a little longer.

With that said, I completely understand the arguments with letting him go just as much. Baalke does well positioning himself with lots of picks every draft but sometimes it feels like a throwing mud on the wall approach and seeing what sticks. What I mean is now that Bowman has suffered yet another devastating injury, what will he look like post recovery? Ian Williams continues to stay hurt more and more and has missed more games than he's played in since becoming a full-time starter in 2014 and if he is resigned, which I think he will to probably another one year prove it kind of deal, what will he look like? It's quite possible that these pesky injuries he keeps getting might finally catch up to him. With all these draft picks, after losing those two in particular, the lack of depth is apparent, most importantly in stopping the run. You hit the nail on the head, if you can't stop the run then you will not win a lot of games in the NFL. We could try and add context to some of these players like Carradine and say we did him no justice by having him add weight on a torn ACL and playing him out of position since he was drafted but I'm sure any team can make an excuse for a player underachieving. Sometimes it is what it is. Now that we have gotten him back to his natural setting on the edge, it might be too late. That for me is really the biggest knock on Baalke. With all these picks, where's the depth? Does it go back to hindering these young player's development with changing schemes on them for a second or third time in as many years? Or are lots of these guys just not good football players? It's a matter of opinion. My mindset is where it was last year. If they let him go I'm good with it, if they keep him, I understand the arguments.

As for O'Neil. He is a Rex Ryan/Pettine understudy. He is well versed in exotic blitz packages. You have to wonder if so much of what he does though, the overall complexity of his scheme was due to lack of talent in Cleveland and lack of a pass rush here, so he's using it as a buffer? Fangio ran a much simpler scheme but had the horses to rush the passer with only four ( which makes a huge difference) and more veteran players on his depth chart. I honestly don't know. If the team takes the wait and see approach with him and gets him some more pass rushers then we will have to see if he simplifies things.

On Chip, I agree with you. I am on record saying that I wasn't particularly enamored with his hiring when it happened, but firing him isn't the answer after this season. You can't keep doing that to a football team with so many young players. A fourth coach in four years. Which means yet again another system is as many years. The growing pains will keep growing with that strategy. We need to stick with him at least another two years and see what he can do with more talent.

As far as his scheme. I'm not sure how anybody can question it but so much. We have arguably one of the worst receiving cores right now. Kerley and Streater were added last second to an even worst receiving core beforehand and both before that were probably on their way to being released by their respective clubs. Yet in spite of that, these guys are getting open enough. We are missing two or three big opportunities a game to put more points on the board that end up being reflected in the final score. With a below par skill group overall, what more can one ask of Chip?

Once again, good write up Marvin and on a side note, I hope you feel better soon bro.
That boy Kelly from SEC is who I want
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Marvin, not sure how you can still support baalke. I've always been a supporter of his and made excuses as to why there were talent deficiencies in certain areas. Injuries and retirements really can't be blamed on him but this team is extremely devoid of talent and that DOES fall on baalke.

It's not like he hasn't had the tools to get what we need. He always has a huge number of draft picks (to his credit), and our cap has been managed well (also to his credit), but he has done nothing with either of them. We have one decent offensive skill player in Hyde, and even that's not solid as he's constantly injured/concussed. With all the attention he gives to the defensive side there's no excuse for being the worst in the league.

To top it all off, as of recent, he's STILL drafting injured players when it's clear that philosophy has gotten us nothing. How anyone can still support this guy is beyond me.

Please enlighten us and let us know what you see in him.

I guess you can say I don't flip on people that fast. For me, saying "this teams performance for three years now fairly puts his job in jeopardy" is pretty damning.

he's ignored postions of need for 2 years in a row. (WR/QB). and quite frankly don't think he has the capability or knack to hit on that position.
  • thl408
I thought the 49ers were hanging in there until costly mistakes set up the ARI offense with easy TD drives. The batted pass for INT, fumble on the kickoff return, running into the kicker penalty, and the second INT all put the ball right on the doorstep for ARI's scores. I was puzzled at how often Stanton was asked to dropback and pass during the 1st half when it was obvious he was inaccurate with his throws. All the while DJohnson had success.

Rush defense actually had up and down moments during the 1st 3 quarters as they forced a few '3rd and pass it' situations for ARI, but it was a 4th quarter ARI drive that broke the will of the 49er defense. ARI had a 12 play drive and 11 of the plays were rushes. The only pass was to a RB. So they basically lined up and just crammed the ball down the 49ers throats while playing their backup interior offensive line. The multiple 49er mistakes and that drive was ball game.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought the 49ers were hanging in there until costly mistakes set up the ARI offense with easy TD drives. The batted pass for INT, fumble on the kickoff return, running into the kicker penalty, and the second INT all put the ball right on the doorstep for ARI's scores. I was puzzled at how often Stanton was asked to dropback and pass during the 1st half when it was obvious he was inaccurate with his throws. All the while DJohnson had success.

Rush defense actually had up and down moments during the 1st 3 quarters as they forced a few '3rd and pass it' situations for ARI, but it was a 4th quarter ARI drive that broke the will of the 49er defense. ARI had a 12 play drive and 11 of the plays were rushes. The only pass was to a RB. So they basically lined up and just crammed the ball down the 49ers throats while playing their backup interior offensive line. The multiple 49er mistakes and that drive was ball game.

yeah mistakes kill

Fumble the kickoff then you hold them to a FG then run into the kicker and give them a TD run on the next play. Not too many teams come back from that.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Good write up Marvin...

Very well written Willis! One of the best posts I've seen in a while.
Originally posted by thl408:

That's perfect...I was just telling a poster that I started to document the huge errors this TEAM has made to lose games and just gave up b/c it was getting too long and comical. The creative ways this team has found to shoot itself in the foot at the worst time is mind boggling. You just covered four of them.
We don't have to see Crapernick. If we do our luck would be he gets hurt bad and then we have to see him and his salary all of next year. Not worth it imo
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very well written Willis! One of the best posts I've seen in a while.

Thanks man. Just calling it how I see it bro.
Originally posted by Wisconsininer:
We don't have to see Crapernick. If we do our luck would be he gets hurt bad and then we have to see him and his salary all of next year. Not worth it imo

Hey....ya think maybe thats why they are renegotiating his contract? :D
Share 49ersWebzone