LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

49ers Week 5 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry guys...I've been hacking up a lung since the thurs night game. Still sick as a dog so I'll make this one brief. I'm not sure if I'm actually sick or if the teams performance is have adverse effects on my health.

1) Gabbert: What is there to say that hasn't been said by myself and countless others. Not. The. Guy.

2) Kap: I don't know that he's the guy either, but if he restructures and becomes the starter, at the very least maybe we can put this one to bed once and for all.

3) Kelly: Really having trouble with this one. Many take issue with the scheme, but I have trouble being too critical when at LEAST once or twice a game I see a receiver running WIDE OPEN for a possible TD and Blaine airmails the ball 5 to 10 yards over his head. If the QB puts the ball on the player those are TDs. How can I put that on the offensive system?

4) Front 7: WOW does the front 7 suck without Ian Williams, Buckner, Bowman, and with a one armed Armstead. Niners have no chance in any game if they can't stop the run. They are sorely lacking at NT and ILB and its kinda hard to put that all on Baalke as they have had significant injuries at both positions. You could argue "he didn't add depth" there and that's fair, but I dunno many teams who are 2 deep at NT and 3 or 4 deep at ILB especially when 1st year players at the position retire, a great player retires, and another just can't stay healthy. Still...don't want to do fully defend Baalke here as it's still his job to put a good product on they field.

Niners have some pieces in the front 7 that will be big in the future, but this is still a need area in the offseason.

5) D Scheme: Really easy to say there is something wrong with the scheme as well, but I couldn't tell you exactly what. I seem to remember in the complaints about O'Neal in Cleveland was that his scheme forced players on the D-Line to think too much and not just react. Perhaps thats a part of whats going on here? I dunno.

6) Kerley: That guy has been a real find. He seems to be the only player Gabbert is capable of completing a pass to. Actually it seems he might be the only player Gabbert is capable of even seeing on the field because he's 5 yards in front of him. Gabbert targets Kerley ALOT but to Kelleys Credit, he's getting open and he making the most of it. I don't know that he's a star or anything of the kind, but he looks to possibly be e very solid slot receiver moving forward. We have to collect and hang onto those guys that might have a part in the future.

7) Torrey: Dude's production has been nonexistent, but its really hard to put that on him. I don't think the issue is that he's never open. I think the issue is that Gabbert can't complete a pass over 10 yards (and rarely even tries) and Torrey is a deep shot receiver. I really can't blame him for his frustration.

8) Robinson: I like this kid. Still needs meat on those bones but I like his skill set.

9) New GM?: I know it would make some people on the 'zone SOOOOOO happy to see Trent go. I have supported Trent all along and I'm not yet jumping off the wagon, but I do think this teams performance for three years now fairly puts his job in jeopardy. Some of this stuff was outside his control, but even his staunchest supporter can see that he hands blindspots at certain positions and those positions are currently killing this team. I'm not calling for Trents firing, but I do think its on the horizon.

10) 5 games in: 1-4 out the gate with 11 more to play. I'm already looking at draft position. Sucks bad to throw the towel in on the season this early, but I'd rather the Niners sucked than were mediocre. That actually my fear of Colin coming in. I'm afraid he'll make them just better enough to win a few games and screw them in April. All well, I don't have any control over it. As I said before, this is just an extended preseason and time to evaluate all players on the roster.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM ]
2) Kap: I don't know that he's the guy either, but if he restructures and becomes the starter, at the very least maybe we can put this one to bed once and for all.

This is where I'm at w/ Kap. Even if the so called restructure doesn't happen, I want to see him in. So we can close that chapter if need be, or see if there is something there.

Your post on Baalke is confusing. Do you think he shouldn't get fired, but will? How much time do you think he deserves?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
D Scheme: I think its easy to figure out.... Armstead has been hurt all year, Buckner is a rookie (and now hurt), Glenn Dorsey is not 100%, Aaron Lynch was out 4 games (and even with him pass rush is a weak spot), never had Ian Williams, Bowman & Armstrong are out for the year. We dont have great depth and are dealing with a lot of injuries. Not a good combo.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM ]
Marvin, not sure how you can still support baalke. I've always been a supporter of his and made excuses as to why there were talent deficiencies in certain areas. Injuries and retirements really can't be blamed on him but this team is extremely devoid of talent and that DOES fall on baalke.

It's not like he hasn't had the tools to get what we need. He always has a huge number of draft picks (to his credit), and our cap has been managed well (also to his credit), but he has done nothing with either of them. We have one decent offensive skill player in Hyde, and even that's not solid as he's constantly injured/concussed. With all the attention he gives to the defensive side there's no excuse for being the worst in the league.

To top it all off, as of recent, he's STILL drafting injured players when it's clear that philosophy has gotten us nothing. How anyone can still support this guy is beyond me.

Please enlighten us and let us know what you see in him.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Marvin, not sure how you can still support baalke. I've always been a supporter of his and made excuses as to why there were talent deficiencies in certain areas. Injuries and retirements really can't be blamed on him but this team is extremely devoid of talent and that DOES fall on baalke.

It's not like he hasn't had the tools to get what we need. He always has a huge number of draft picks (to his credit), and our cap has been managed well (also to his credit), but he has done nothing with either of them. We have one decent offensive skill player in Hyde, and even that's not solid as he's constantly injured/concussed. With all the attention he gives to the defensive side there's no excuse for being the worst in the league.

To top it all off, as of recent, he's STILL drafting injured players when it's clear that philosophy has gotten us nothing. How anyone can still support this guy is beyond me.

Please enlighten us and let us know what you see in him.

I guess you can say I don't flip on people that fast. For me, saying "this teams performance for three years now fairly puts his job in jeopardy" is pretty damning.
Originally posted by sacniner:

This is where I'm at w/ Kap. Even if the so called restructure doesn't happen, I want to see him in. So we can close that chapter if need be, or see if there is something there.

Disagree on Kap, we don't need to see him again to know that he's not the answer. Guy is about to turn 29, had scheme continuity his first three years in the league and got progressively worse. There's no such thing as Kapexcuses because you can't make any for him.
Originally posted by znk916:

Disagree on Kap, we don't need to see him again to know that he's not the answer. Guy is about to turn 29, had scheme continuity his first three years in the league and got progressively worse. There's no such thing as Kapexcuses because you can't make any for him.

um...who's making excuses? We've seen Gabbert in Chips system. He's not the guy. Next we need to see Kap in that system. My expectation is that he also likely isn't the guy.

If we exhaust all the options the 49ers have no choice but to address the position in the offseason. There are no excuses there.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM ]
Gabbert is the new Curtis Painter, the Niners want to suck to get a higher draft pick. Too bad this qb class is weak. I would like to wait for the kids from University of washington.

The scheme is fine, if the team had a qb who could throw the ball, it would be at least entertaining.

The D is in shambles, it is too bad that when the niners traded up in the draft they did not take Myles Jack instead of bench warming Garnett.
State of the team: we suck.

We even suck at sucking. Last years team was a 2 win team that won 5. Who knows how many we'll win this year to put us out of reach for a QB

I agree with what you say on Kap but Marvin states the right thing, let's put this Kap situation to bed once and for all. Empty the pitcher of Kool-Aid and never go back there again.

• FaTaL
  • Veteran
They need to switch to a 4-3, they have no nt or inside lbs
Marvin, no mention of any bright spots besides Robinson? I would throw Hyde's red zone production. He has what? 6 TDs on the year?

Also besides the interior line and LBs how do you ignore the wart named Brock on the back end? Pass rush or not he's the biggest liability in coverage. Look for teams to target him all season until he starts picking off a few passes.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

um...who's making excuses? We've seen Gabbert in Chips system. He's not the guy. Next we need to see Kap in that system. My expectation is that he also likely isn't the guy.

If we exhaust all the options the 49ers have no choice but to address the position in the offseason. There are no excuses there.
Marvin is spot on. Gabbert isn't it. Kap probably isn't, but we have to see him. No choice.
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They need to switch to a 4-3, they have no nt or inside lbs

Are you suggesting they have DTs?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I haven't re watched a niner game years.
Share 49ersWebzone