LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Better squad than last year....apparently

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
From what I am reading in this forum it's a general,consensus that we have a better OL and defence, with better coaches and better play calling.

And yet......

We are still 1-4 same as last year, with what I can see a long season ahead.

Where then has it all gone so wrong?

So many turnovers last game, it's a crime! But Can't be just be that....

Is the locker room so toxic with Kap still around? Seems it's not a team playing but a bunch of individual covering their asses on the field.

So frustrating so much promises.
Bad quarterback play. You can never get around it unless your name is Bill Bellichick..
Gabbert has been god awful and single-handedly tanked the offense imo.

The defense had the talent to be much improved, but then injuries took their toll. Bowman and Ian Williams were 2 of our top 3 players on defense. The other being Aaron Lynch who got himself suspended for 4 games. We then had injuries to Armstrong, Ward, AA, and Buckner. Now we can't stop the run or rush the passer. The group has been decimated by injury.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 10, 2016 at 3:03 AM ]
Too many misses on early round picks. Picked up no playmakers in free agency. Baalke needs to be fired.
We would still be crap with decent QB play. Marginal with good QB play. The QB play is bad along with many other areas on this team. Some people seem to only focus on that position without looking at other areas.

People thought a lot of things. One thing I was consistent with was that the team would be crap. You can't fail at replacing talent for so many years and expect the team to just miraculously improve.

OL much improved and that's about it.
Originally posted by MFWIC:
From what I am reading in this forum it's a general,consensus that we have a better OL and defence, with better coaches and better play calling.

And yet......

We are still 1-4 same as last year, with what I can see a long season ahead.

Where then has it all gone so wrong?

So many turnovers last game, it's a crime! But Can't be just be that....

Is the locker room so toxic with Kap still around? Seems it's not a team playing but a bunch of individual covering their asses on the field.

So frustrating so much promises.

We aren't worse though...we went from 32nd in points per game to 15th (as of last week). The locker room looks more together with kap as of late not more toxic.

What's s**tty is who we've been rolling out at qb and the lack of talent at the skilled positions. I'm not a huge fan of JoN and the defensive especially up front (missing both starting ILBs and out top 5 NT).

I have no issue with play calling on offense
Originally posted by Blindfury:
We would still be crap with decent QB play. Marginal with good QB play. The QB play is bad along with many other areas on this team. Some people seem to only focus on that position without looking at other areas.

People thought a lot of things. One thing I was consistent with was that the team would be crap. You can't fail at replacing talent for so many years and expect the team to just miraculously improve.

OL much improved and that's about it.

Ppl focus on the QB position and say the position is the reason the team is bad bc it is the exact reason, think about it if Gabbert or Kap passed the ball good not even great then defenses would have to respect it and play differently which would cause them not to fill the box every damn play and Hyde would have better running lanes and play actions would fool defenses more plus with a good passing attack that picks up more 1st downs that lead to the niners defense getting more rest and being more fresh on the field plus the simple fact that with a good QB the team would obviously score more which last time I checked the team that scored most wins ! THE BIGGEST MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS TEAM IS QB PLAY AND UNTIL THAT IS FIXED EVERY YEAR WILL BE LIKE THIS..plain and simple..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Ppl focus on the QB position and say the position is the reason the team is bad bc it is the exact reason, think about it if Gabbert or Kap passed the ball good not even great then defenses would have to respect it and play differently which would cause them not to fill the box every damn play and Hyde would have better running lanes and play actions would fool defenses more plus with a good passing attack that picks up more 1st downs that lead to the niners defense getting more rest and being more fresh on the field plus the simple fact that with a good QB the team would obviously score more which last time I checked the team that scored most wins ! THE BIGGEST MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS TEAM IS QB PLAY AND UNTIL THAT IS FIXED EVERY YEAR WILL BE LIKE THIS..plain and simple..

First of all, Kaep shouldn't even be lumped into this. He has not played yet this season and we have yet to see him in a Chip Kelly offense. So if you're blaming the QB play, then you are blaming Gabbert and Gabbert only.

Dude, the QB is a problem, but it is not the only problem just like last year but people focus on the QB because yes, the position is important but 9er fans especially have deluded themselves into thinking a QB plays all the positions on the field and QB play is directly correlated to how all those positions play. I doubt San Diego would agree with you.

We have one of the worst defenses in the league. That has nothing to do with how bad Gabbert is. It has to do with how bad our D is. The talent is not up to snuff period. If we had improved QB play, we'd score more points but would still have the same porous defense. Have you seen our run D? It is obscene.

We are allowing 28 gotdamn points a game and you are singling out the offense? The O sucks and so does the D.

First of all, Kaep shouldn't even be lumped into this. He has not played yet this season and we have yet to see him in a Chip Kelly offense. So if you're blaming the QB play, then you are blaming Gabbert and Gabbert only.

Dude, the QB is a problem, but it is not the only problem just like last year but people focus on the QB because yes, the position is important but 9er fans especially have deluded themselves into thinking a QB plays all the positions on the field and QB play is directly correlated to how all those positions play. I doubt San Diego would agree with you.

We have one of the worst defenses in the league. That has nothing to do with how bad Gabbert is. It has to do with how bad our D is. The talent is not up to snuff period. If we had improved QB play, we'd score more points but would still have the same porous defense. Have you seen our run D? It is obscene.

We are allowing 28 gotdamn points a game and you are singling out the offense? The O sucks and so does the D.

My point is if the QB play was better everything is better..I agree the D is bad but who knows if like I said if Gabbert kept the offense out their more and controlled the game that the defense with the extra rest and confidence bc confidence for a whole team makes them better too in my eyes would have the D playing better..QB play is the most important to a team in any sport it predicts if the team is good or bad the most
[ Edited by jersey49er on Oct 10, 2016 at 5:25 AM ]
My point is if the QB play was better everything is better..I agree the D is bad but who knows if like I said if Gabbert kept the offense out their more and controlled the game that the defense with the extra rest and confidence bc confidence for a whole team makes them better too in my eyes would have the D playing better..QB play is the most important to a team in any sport it predicts if the team is good or bad the most

Our O averages 22 points per game. You could say that if our D was better, we'd win more games. The D is averaging like 30 pts/game. Lets say they averaged 12 like the Vikings. How many games would we have won? QB is bad, but so is everywhere else on the team. Blaming solely the QB is too easy.

Our O averages 22 points per game. You could say that if our D was better, we'd win more games. The D is averaging like 30 pts/game. Lets say they averaged 12 like the Vikings. How many games would we have won? QB is bad, but so is everywhere else on the team. Blaming solely the QB is too easy.

Cmon man have you been watching the games..? Blaming Gabbert is exactly on point..a lot of the points scored were in garbage time too..during the games that were close like the games vs the Panthers( until the pick to Kuechly),Cowboys(until the pick to Claiborne and the D still held them to a fg for Gabbert to possibly tie the game with a td) and Cardinals(missed so many throws that would have helped and changed the game and his 2 picks were costly, mostly the 1 Cooper had in the beginning of the 4th down 7 ) Gabbert missed throws in the games that NFL QBs have to make..game changing throws that would have changed the game around, gave momentum and who knows after that..its Gabbert that is keeping this team from having a chance to be good..he hurts the team more than any other player..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Oct 10, 2016 at 6:03 AM ]
Cmon man have you been watching the games..? Blaming Gabbert is exactly on point..a lot of the points scored were in garbage time too..during the games that were close like the games vs the Panthers( until the pick to Kuechly),Cowboys(until the pick to Claiborne and the D still held them to a fg for Gabbert to possibly tie the game with a td) and Cardinals(missed so many throws that would have helped and changed the game and his 2 picks were costly, mostly the 1 Cooper had in the beginning of the 4th down 7 ) Gabbert missed throws in the games that NFL QBs have to make..game changing throws that would have changed the game around, gave momentum and who knows after that..its Gabbert that is keeping this team from having a chance to be good..he hurts the team more than any other player..

Your pinning the entire failure of this team on one player who spends half the time on the field. I can't back that. I've seen enough ineptitude on the field at other positions to claim that Blaine is the reason for us having one of the worst D's in the league. Our run D is atrocious. We are a gaping vagina right up the middle.

Chargers and Saints have top 5 offenses. Their seasons are already over.

Your pinning the entire failure of this team on one player who spends half the time on the field. I can't back that. I've seen enough ineptitude on the field at other positions to claim that Blaine is the reason for us having one of the worst D's in the league. Our run D is atrocious. We are a gaping vagina right up the middle.

Chargers and Saints have top 5 offenses. Their seasons are already over.

All I'm saying is it starts with Gabbert and the QB position, as bad as the defense has played the niners have stil been in the game where they can take the lead or tie it and Gabbert screws it up which leads to more points being scored late in the game..go rewatch the games please..or the highlights..Gabbert gives this team no chance of being good bc he is terrible..there were soooo many throws he missed that would've been a sure TD..anyone can see Gabbert is the main issue..
Every team has issues but when QB is the main issue it makes the other issues worse..QB play is the most pivotal play in sports today..its the main reason whether your team will win or los, be good or bad..
Bad quarterback play, and awful inside linebacker play. The worst run defense in forty niner history, but we are at least scoring some points....crap, I had my hopes up this season! I really felt Chip would be good for 21 points a game, and with our decent talent level on defense, and good DC, we could keep teams to 14-17 a game. This O'niel guy is awful!
Share 49ersWebzone