There are 232 users in the forums

Ryan Day-QB Coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Any opinions of him? Did you guys think it was a good hire or DO YOU STILL think it's a good hire? Is he a quarterback guru or is he another Geep Chryst/Steve Logan.
Never heard of
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Never heard of

He was under the radar hire and I think the QB coach is the most important position coach on the staff. It is essential to have a good QB coach. IIRC, i remember someone said that he was a good coach.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Never heard of

He was under the radar hire and I think the QB coach is the most important position coach on the staff. It is essential to have a good QB coach. IIRC, i remember someone said that he was a good coach.

I remember the hiring. That's about it. Never had heard of him before.

Aside from the ol coach, I agree that the qb coach is the most important. But we'll need for others to weigh in because I simply don't know enough about him to form an opinion.

Based on gabberts play? Can't see how it was a good hire, but then again it's gabbert, so who knows.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Any opinions of him? Did you guys think it was a good hire or DO YOU STILL think it's a good hire? Is he a quarterback guru or is he another Geep Chryst/Steve Logan.

Here is a write up on him:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/1/23/7879537/philadelphia-eagles-qb-coach-ryan-day-boston-college-chip-kelly
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 5, 2016 at 9:58 PM ]
Hard to say with any of the position coaches. It's hard to evaluate how good or bad a job they're doing, because you can't pin the playcalling or player performance on them.

People despised John Morton when he was the WR coach here. Now he's in New Orleans and apparently is doing a good job. A lot easier to get production from receivers when you have Sean Payton calling plays and Drew Brees orchestrating the offense.
Hard to truly judge. I won't blame the coach solely for a QBs poor decision making. Now if Kap were to come back and plsy smarter than he did before, that is s plus for Day. If he plays the same or worse, then you have to start looking at the coaches.
I was excited that Niners contacted John DeFilippo for OC position (at least Kawakami thought he was clinched on Kelly's staff) but he chose Philly instead.

DeFilippo has good track on tutoring young QBs on his football preps and development such as Eli Manning, Derek Carr and Carson Wentz. But also give veteran passers a fresh start such as Carson Palmer and Josh McCown.

Personally I have him on my mock to replace Tim Day as QBC but with a promotion of Assistant to HC/Passing Game Coordinator to lure him out of Philly.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Hard to say with any of the position coaches. It's hard to evaluate how good or bad a job they're doing, because you can't pin the playcalling or player performance on them.

People despised John Morton when he was the WR coach here. Now he's in New Orleans and apparently is doing a good job. A lot easier to get production from receivers when you have Sean Payton calling plays and Drew Brees orchestrating the offense.
This.
First of all, you need a proper evaluation of the talent, i.e. you need to determine its ceiling in the first place. Then, as we are talking about the QB in the Kelly-system (packaged plays), one needs to know whether the QB coach can teach decision-making that much...
I think there needs to be an offensive guru at HC, or OC at least, so that they can identify players who we need to bring in, but also they need to be able to identify good coaches to be underneath them. There needs to be a coherent organisational system and that starts at the top. If you're a GM and defense is your strength, you better have quality guys who know offense, and can supplement where you are weak. At this point we don't have the offensive talent which makes it difficult to discern if the offensive coaching is any good. I don't know if Ryan Day is any good because our personnel at the QB position is so, so bad. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt until the roster is improved.

Dont trust anybody whos last name rhymes with Gay
  • dj43
One positive sign would be the improved play of Bradford in the second half of last season.

Day played QB at New Hampshire. That is a big improvement from having a former defensive lineman coach QB's under Nolan.
Originally posted by dj43:
One positive sign would be the improved play of Bradford in the second half of last season.

Day played QB at New Hampshire. That is a big improvement from having a former defensive lineman coach QB's under Nolan.
No???!!!
Day is a stud
I have no problem with him...you think Blaine was gonna do any better then he has?? I keep saying this but you can only polish up a turd so much.
Share 49ersWebzone