There are 211 users in the forums

49ers Week 4 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice post again Marvin49. This was a hard game to watch both offensively and defensively. I'm not sure what changes can be made to make anything much better right now, but we have to try something to improve the play on the field, please Chip, please!!
How can you rematch that?......
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NCommand:
How about just the injuries alone being a MAJOR factor in all of this for the past three years now. 21 players on I.R. in 2014, 17 more in 2015 and through 1/4 of the season, already 5 this year and I'm sure we're not even close to being done either...that's not even considering key injuries too like Armstead, Buckner, Kerley, Dorsey, etc. This is one reason I keep posting the snap counts cumulative over the past two years (when our current starters started getting NFL snaps in meaningful roles; even the bridge players were hurt like Bethea, Dorsey, Williams, etc. decreasing their snap counts in the [new] systems).

How can these kids grow if they can't even stay on the field especially, together?

Even if only we had Ian Williams we might be three and one. He is great against the run and that was all we needed against the Cowboys and even would of helped tremendously against the Panthers. Sucks but at least it will help us get a great draft pick I hope our team loses this injury bug hex

Like we said coming in...it all starts in the trenches.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
While I agree that this is a rebuild year, this is a Baalke induced rebuild. I really didn't expect us to make any kind of a PO push, but I did expect us to be at least competitive, at least .500.

This Baalke roster is just horrible. We simply do not have the talent to match up against even an average team (like Dallas missing multiple starters). I can see Chip's direction, and it's pretty creative, much more than last season. But he simply don't have the talent to pull any consistant success out of it, in particular at QB and WR, and I think it's caused Chip to more predictable. What we are looking at is the result of Baalke's roster at work with nobody to place blame on. Teams are running all over our D-line. Our defensive backfield is good and deep but the lack of a pass rush is exposing them. Tank? Eli? Thanks Baalke!

As I predicted that ILB position is weak, and showing the signs of being completely ignored for two straight drafts. Behind Bowman there's nothing. Last year I lamented that Baalke was relying on a guy who at that time was coming back from a serious knee injury and a few backups in Wilhoite and Hodges. This season was no different with just Armstrong in the mix. Ignoring the ILB position is simply unforgivable. The only thing that rivals that is how he's handled the WR and QB position.

What's become plainly, painfully clear to me is this team is just outmatched talent wise, and there's no nice way to put that. This loss was particularly frustrating to me, as it showed this team has no chance at getting to .500.

My exact thoughts. Baalke stinks Marvin not sure how you think this is on injuries only. Baalke DRAFTED MOST of them injured while banking on comebacks that never even happened (ex: Lattimore, B. Thomas, etc.) He simply isn't a good GM. We need a upgrade, maybe Gamble who understands chip's needs, or a new guy who can bring in a new d coordinator lol. One who can realize DJ and Rashard need to start with Ward, and we need MLB's and WR's and a freaking QB immediately to begin rebuilding. BAALKE CANT DRAFT OFFENSE. Hyde and o line were his best picks. Find me another skill position pick. Fire this guy please at the end of the year, and draft Kizer or Watson.
Originally posted by susweel:
The real rebuild won't start until we have a new gm.

True and a new D coordinator.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:22 AM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by susweel:
The real rebuild won't start until we have a new gm.

True and a new D coordinator.

Unfortunately probably also won't start until we have a new coach, left tackle, ILBs, etc...

agreed we have a UDFA at NT (who's looked like one) a rookie and a banged up (project with upside) 2nd yr player. Dial is depth more than anything. Williams was a top 5 NT in the league and is sorely missed. I will say if we still had Borland our run D would be much much better, he was a tackling machine. It's crazy the string of back luck we've had with injuries and crazy retirements.

But yes rebuilds start in the trenches and I think when healthy it's a good young DL group and our OL is worlds better than last yr. Gonna have to add ILB to the list of needs in the off season. Kiko and Zack Brown have both looked like solid ILB and are FAs end of the yr.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

agreed we have a UDFA at NT (who's looked like one) a rookie and a banged up (project with upside) 2nd yr player. Dial is depth more than anything. Williams was a top 5 NT in the league and is sorely missed. I will say if we still had Borland our run D would be much much better, he was a tackling machine. It's crazy the string of back luck we've had with injuries and crazy retirements.

But yes rebuilds start in the trenches and I think when healthy it's a good young DL group and our OL is worlds better than last yr. Gonna have to add ILB to the list of needs in the off season. Kiko and Zack Brown have both looked like solid ILB and are FAs end of the yr.

We obviously have talent at the DE spots (Armstead, Buckner, Blair, Dial) but one's a 2nd year guy who's hurt, and two are rookies with one being hurt. Also, it's abundantly clear how much the NT matters when you look at this year and last year. You could argue NT is probably the most important piece of the 3-4 because even if your DEs aren't great pass-rushers, if they can at least eat up blockers in the run game, you can maintain a good run defense and make an offense one-dimensional. That also allows the LBs to make more plays. Only problem is we have no play-making LBs left, outside of Lynch.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 5, 2016 at 7:35 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

We obviously have talent at the DE spots (Armstead, Buckner, Blair, Dial) but one's a 2nd year guy who's hurt, and two are rookies with one being hurt. Also, it's abundantly clear how much the NT matters when you look at this year and last year. You could argue NT is probably the most important piece of the 3-4 because even if your DEs aren't great pass-rushers, if they can at least eat up blockers in the run game, you can maintain a good run defense and make an offense one-dimensional. That also allows the LBs to make more plays. Only problem is we have no play-making LBs left, outside of Lynch.

I think you and I have been saying this since day 1. I really wanted Harrison or Knighton in FA esp. after Williams went down. I know we were banking on Dorsey/Dial/Purcell (which is understandable) but we need security and top notch talent there.

I think you and I have been saying this since day 1. I really wanted Harrison or Knighton in FA esp. after Williams went down. I know we were banking on Dorsey/Dial/Purcell (which is understandable) but we need security and top notch talent there.

It now looks like an enormous mistake that we let Garrison Smith go. Yes, he's far down the depth chart in Seattle, but the potential he showed makes you wonder what he could've done perhaps in 2017, considering all three of our nose tackles will be free agents after the season (Dorsey - UFA, Purcell - ERFA, Ian Williams - UFA).

We have a desperate, and I mean a DESPERATE need for a NT of the future right now. Purcell isn't it, and while Dorsey is slightly better it looks like he's severely declined too. He and Ian Williams have a major injury history recently too. It would be an absolute TRAVESTY and an inexcusable act to ignore NT again this off-season. It already was ridiculous that we did that this past off-season.

It now looks like an enormous mistake that we let Garrison Smith go. Yes, he's far down the depth chart in Seattle, but the potential he showed makes you wonder what he could've done perhaps in 2017, considering all three of our nose tackles will be free agents after the season (Dorsey - UFA, Purcell - ERFA, Ian Williams - UFA).

We have a desperate, and I mean a DESPERATE need for a NT of the future right now. Purcell isn't it, and while Dorsey is slightly better it looks like he's severely declined too. He and Ian Williams have a major injury history recently too. It would be an absolute TRAVESTY and an inexcusable act to ignore NT again this off-season. It already was ridiculous that we did that this past off-season.

Terrance "pot roast" knighten is chilling at home give him a call up! Still not sure what's up with Dorsey? Did he play?

Pot roast is currently unemployed

Totally agree.
I know people always throw it out like it's easy to do, but with all the weaknesses and injuries... Would a 4-3 work better at the moment?
Originally posted by 9erred:
Chip Kelly is the real deal. Bill Bellichek the godfather thought the Eagles gave up on him way to early, and he brings a different element to the NFL.

Coaching, A. Way less penalties, no delay of games, way less qb sacks, scoring TD's instead of field goals. Need I say more, the defense is the issue right now. The team is scoring points, the defense needs to get its head out of its arse

I agree with this 100%. The offense will improve I think also, but realize it's in It's infancy stages as It's the first year. D needs to be solid in the NFL THOUGH.
Share 49ersWebzone