LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 152 users in the forums

49ers Week 4 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry its a day late guys. Couldn't get to a computer until today.

1) Gabbert: More of the same. A few good throws in there. A few really bad throws. I really won't have much more to add in this regard until something changes. Gabbert is just a boatload of "meh" with very few targets to throw to.

2) Bowman: Thats just heartbreaking. He'd just gotten back and was just starting to get some of his old form back. Didn't even get hit. Ug. At the very least the good news is it happened early this year and it doesn't exactly appear like they be making any deep playoff runs. He's got time to heal and get back next year.

I knew game was over though the second he went down. They had no ability to stop runs up the middle. I'd expect that to continue all year.

3) Buckner: Hoping he's ok because we need him to get some experience this year. He's got a future for sure but he needs this year to develop.

4) Hyde: Looked good for most of the day but they ended up getting away form him on the final drive. Not sure why...they were only down by one score and needed to kill the clock anyway so not sure why he didn't get a single carry at the end there.

5) Armstead: I've seen a lot of people attack him but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. I think he's a lot more hurt than the team is letting on and its showing up in his play.

6) Refs: I do NOT want to be THAT guy who blames the game on the refs. I really don't. It also bears mentioning that the 49ers still have to play after bad calls so they bear 100% of the blame for the loss. However...the entire complexion of the game changed DRASTICALLY after the PF call on Tartt. That had to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Third down play had just been stopped and was about to be a punt. Instead extended drive in 49er territory. The D clearly lapsed after the call and the Cowboys put up a TD on a drive where they shouldn't have even had the ball.

Again...they should have stepped up. The refs didn't allow the TD that followed the bad call. That is possibly a function of youth that they didn't bounce back after the poor call.

What I hate though is when Zebras change the outcome of games.

7) Robinson: I was at the game with a friend of mine who is a Cowboys fan. I told him that on drafty day I was bummed that the 49ers skipped over 2 players I liked in the 4th round. Dak Prescott and Kenneth Dixon were both taken almost immediately following the player they DID take...Rashard Robinson. Its just one game, but I'm feeling less upset about that now. Dak looks great so not suggesting I like Rashard more than a QB, just stating that Robinson looks like maybe he's a player. He needs more meat on those bones, but I like what he showed out there on Sunday.

8) Kellys Offense: Others have stated that I've given the coaches a free pass on these posts and it really isn't that. I'm more taking a slower approach and not overreacting to what I see. What do I see on O? I see that its really hard to make any decisions with the guys out there playing. I don't see any receivers not named Kerley doing anything, but I also don't see them getting much separation. Now...is that because they are poorly run routes? Is it because the O is so predicable that the D knows what coming? I really don't know the answer to that.

What I do know is this though...while they are poorly ranked in passing, they are scoring. They are scoring more points than they scored last year and I can't ignore that. They are scoring points when they lack serious talent at many of the skill positions.

So, I guess I'm still kinda reserving judgement on the "does this O work" question for now until there is more evidence.

9) Bad D: Kinda the same as the above but with some differences. There is a ton of talent out there on D, but they are REALLY young and they are lacking at one of the most important spots: Pass Rusher. Maybe that changes now with Lynch back on the field. We'll see. Losing Bowman though means that there are going to have serious issues at ILB and I'd expect run D to be an issue all year.

10) Long Year: Yeah...its gonna be a long year. As I've stated before, I'd expect the Niners to have trouble winning games all year and I'd expect them to jump up and win a few nobody expects. We are in the rebuild and it doesn't happen overnight. This year is really just an audition for guys to see if they fit into plans in the future.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM ]
Best self-inflicted rebuild evar
1/4 mark summary right there^^^^^^
Good pst as usual - Thanks.

I think the refs missed on more than 3-4 occasions the LT jumping offsides.

It was pointed out by announcers almost everytime he did it.

Kerly is the best FA pick up in a VERY long time.

Agree our receivers can't get seperation BUT do you feel that our play in just about every 3rd quarter goes terrible flat?

It seems to me that the playcalling fails - especially in the 3rd quarter.

Or is it the execution?
Originally posted by crabman82:

Peeps can have their issues with York/Baalke over Harbaugh, but they didn't push Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Chris Borland, or Anthony Davis out the door. They didn't give Aldon the Alcohol, they didn't get Bowman hurt, and they didn't make Vernon Davis lose all ability to play football.

People can hold them responsible for losing Walker, Crab, and Iupati, but they couldn't afford Delanie, Crab took less money to move on, and they weren't going to pay that much for a guard.

Jed/Baalke deserve some blame, no question, but there were WAY, WAY too many other factors IMO to call it "self-inflicted".
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The real rebuild won't start until we have a new gm.
Originally posted by susweel:

Well since IMO players like Buckner, Armstead, Ward, Robinson, Blair, Hyde, Brown, Reid, Tartt, and many other will be a part of the rebuild I'd say its already started.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by susweel:

HERE HERE
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Peeps can have their issues with York/Baalke over Harbaugh, but they didn't push Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Chris Borland, or Anthony Davis out the door. They didn't give Aldon the Alcohol, they didn't get Bowman hurt, and they didn't make Vernon Davis lose all ability to play football.

People can hold them responsible for losing Walker, Crab, and Iupati, but they couldn't afford Delanie, Crab took less money to move on, and they weren't going to pay that much for a guard.

Jed/Baalke deserve some blame, no question, but there were WAY, WAY too many other factors IMO to call it "self-inflicted".

How about just the injuries alone being a MAJOR factor in all of this for the past three years now. 21 players on I.R. in 2014, 17 more in 2015 and through 1/4 of the season, already 5 this year and I'm sure we're not even close to being done either...that's not even considering key injuries too like Armstead, Buckner, Kerley, Dorsey, etc. This is one reason I keep posting the snap counts cumulative over the past two years (when our current starters started getting NFL snaps in meaningful roles; even the bridge players were hurt like Bethea, Dorsey, Williams, etc. decreasing their snap counts in the [new] systems).

How can these kids grow if they can't even stay on the field especially, together?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM ]
Marvin love your take on the game , i can't belive you watched it again , i deleted the game before it was done

Defense is lacking much more than pass rush. It's lacking NT, DE and without Bow 2 ILB'er spots. If Robinson and Ward are on the outside I would also add in slot CB to the needs list. There is zero depth also. Harold and Tank are worthless.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM ]
Sure hope your right about Armstead because he looks as soft as a marshmallow. Not impressed
Another long year of niner football, ugghh.

Well at least the giants made it into the postseason on another even year and the Warriors have almost a dream team that will tear up the league.
[ Edited by Team49ers on Oct 4, 2016 at 10:06 AM ]
I don't know how more people on this forum are not calling out jim o'neil??? This guy is TERRIBLE. His fits in the front 7 leave massive weaknesses. I see gaps unaccounted for on too many plays. How about personnel mismanagement? Why does Buckner rush from a 2-point stance? Blair only rushes over the center?? Why is our line one gapping without the linebackers accounting for remaining gaps? 3-man rush on long downs?

How people aren't losing their s**t over this bum lets me know how much people have no idea what they're seeing.
This is what hurts the most.

It's not like we came off a championship run and our franchise QB retired. Our owner didn't like the coach who kept us as perennial contenders and so he fired him.
Share 49ersWebzone