LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

STOP GOING TO GAMES

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Baldie:

If it got to the point where they started to blackout games in the bay because of the non-sell outs, then that might get their attention.

The NFL lifted the blackout rule last season. Teams don't need to sell out for the games to be shown locally anymore.

Oh.....LoL
We already have stopped. Look at 49ers.com all you see is ads for buying tickets, season tickets, suites, anything lol

I went to the home opener, not a bad experience, but not a great one either. Definitely not a sell-out, i doibt we see one until jed and co. Get us a real team out there competing
  • dj43
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by dj43:
It would be a major embarrassment to Jed if the rest of the home games had similar numbers of opposing fans as for the Dallas game.

It is one thing to see empty seats, but when more fans pay to see the opponents than the home team? THAT is embarrassing.

Let's face it. The Yorks don't need the money. They already are making bank from multiple other events scheduled there to say nothing of the season ticket purchasers. Now when they get embarrassed on national television with all the other owners around the league watching, that is classic.

I'm not so sure it phases them. Money blinds things. Plus aren't the yorks involved in so many other ventures that the niners might not be #1 on their list.

I don't think they have any other interests. Denise gave her interest in the DeBartolo Corporation to Eddie in exchange for the 49ers. John is a retired blood pathologist of some note. He serves on some business committee for the NFL. Other than that, I am not aware of any other interests of any significance.

The stadium has increased the value of the franchise enormously and the steady stream of non-football events brings in a solid cash flow.

Jed was groomed from enrollment at ND to take over the team. For him to see so many opposing fans sitting in his place has to have an impact, IMO.
  • dj43
Originally posted by FromDaBay2La:
We already have stopped. Look at 49ers.com all you see is ads for buying tickets, season tickets, suites, anything lol

We gave up our season tickets when the new stadium opened. We enjoyed Candlestick for two decades, loved the tailgating, got to know all the fans that sat around us, however, as time went by, many of those other fans died or quit coming and the seats were bought out by businesses who handed out tickets as perks for business deals. The camaraderie died. There were usually different people sitting next to us for every game, most of them knew little about football and generally nothing about the team in particular. They were there for a social event.

With so many cameras covering the games now, you can see the game much better at home. Now add in the seat license and you have a very expensive way to watch the game.

We may pick a game or two and pay the resale price but my wife is not at all interested in paying for the quality of the product on the field now.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
What? Do the 49ers own the Mercury News and I missed it?

Purdy (same writer as the original article I posted) wrote another one about how it's becoming difficult to defend the SF Giants territorial rights over Santa Clara County:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2011/01/30/purdy-san-francisco-giants-territorial-claim-to-south-bay-becoming-impossible-to-defend/

So your bias here is as equally unfounded.

No But a San Jose Paper is going to support the team in their back yard and hype them up.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I'm East Bay, takes me just under 1 hour to/from Levi's for a Sunday game, that NEVER happened at the Stick, it was always between 1-1/2 to 2 hours....and that was ~15 miles CLOSER.

I'm not a fan of York, but credit where it's due for getting this stadium built, and even better that in the process gave a big F**K YOU to SF. They kept d**king around for years and being provincial snobs, not believing the 49ers would dare leave their precious little Baghdad By The Bay...the city with the ever-present dank aroma of bum piss.

So stupid the complaints about how Levi's looks.... it's a f***in football stadium, not a piece of abstract art hanging in an art gallery that we're all supposed to gaze upon and contemplate. The Stick was good for its time, but that time had long past.

Where I sat in Upper Box at Candlestick, we had a restroom and concessions right outside our section, yet even hitting just one of those during halftime you risked missing kickoff, and try to do both and guaranteed you'd miss at least 5 minutes of game time. Narrow a** concourses, disgusting bathrooms on par with Third World pit toilets,
mud parking when it rained, sketchy neighborhood, etc etc....THAT is a DUMP. But you say Levi's is because it's warm for a few home games...hilarious.

The Irony is you're talking about me talking about how Levi's looks and you're talking about how Candlestick looked. I'm sure all the people footing the taxes for that POS monstrosity care how it looks. One of the biggest issues is the seats facing the sun, you can joke about it all you want but it's a serious problem and one of the biggest complaints. If you look on yelp there's a reason most of the reviews are about concerts and not football, because that is not a football stadium, it's a concert venue that hosts football.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kense:
The Irony is you're talking about me talking about how Levi's looks and you're talking about how Candlestick looked. I'm sure all the people footing the taxes for that POS monstrosity care how it looks. One of the biggest issues is the seats facing the sun, you can joke about it all you want but it's a serious problem and one of the biggest complaints. If you look on yelp there's a reason most of the reviews are about concerts and not football, because that is not a football stadium, it's a concert venue that hosts football.

In today's world, the cost of building a stadium to host football games demands that it must accommodate many other events. As big a money-maker as NFL football is, it is not big enough to realize any substantial ROI if it does not.

If you don't like sitting in the sun here, try going to an early fall game in Jacksonville, Miami or Tampa Bay when the temp is 85 degrees and the humidity is 70+%.

Rebuilding Candlestick a la what Minneapolis did with the Metrodome was always an option and the weather there was much better. Unfortunately the anti-sports snobs that run the city/county of SF really didn't want the team there anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone