LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Passing game - play by play v Dallas

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
O14 - 3/13 - 3 yd completion to Draughn in right flat. No other receivers open.

I think this is the one I watched a few times, it was a really poor pass that seems indicative of many of Gabbert's short passes that are complete. It was an easy pass, there was no pressure on Gabbert and no defenders anywhere near Draughn yet Gabbert sailed it way over the receivers head and away from the direction the receiver was running, Draughn had to jump and twist just to catch it and had no hope of much YAC because of the poor throw.

Draughn wasn't going to make much more on that play if Gabbert had run over and put it in SD's arms. Dallas had everything covered and was playing the short stuff just like Seattle did last week - let SF complete the short stuff and tackle the receiver all the while taking away anything past the sticks.

Receivers have to make those kinds of catches all the time. I watched the NO game last week and saw Drew Brees twist some of his receivers into pretzels in order to catch balls that were not perfectly thrown.

But stay focused on this one play that was going nowhere no matter how perfect the throw and ignore the numerous other VERY GOOD throws he made.

I think there were YAC to be had but that is beside the point, it was a terrible pass despite the fact that it was caught. Decent quarterbacks make that easy throw consistently.
That play is indicative of how Gabbert delivers the ball regularly, for his entire career.
He made some good throws for sure but not nearly enough to make up for the horrible ones.

Go do your own analysis of the plays yesterday and get back to us.

He had two poor throws. The worst was the INT. The other was the one that bounced in front of Burbridge who was well defended short of the LTG. Two others might have allowed some RAC had they been perfect. The rest were pretty much on target.

I don't give a darn what he did the rest of his career. All I was reviewing is what he did yesterday.

How did the throw I pointed out not make your list of poor throws? It was not a good or even average throw, it was lucky to be caught at all.
The touchdown to Kerley was 100% on the O line. They stone walled the blitz all Gabbert had to do was throw the ball relatively close to Kerley.
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:

He had two poor throws. The worst was the INT. The other was the one that bounced in front of Burbridge who was well defended short of the LTG. Two others might have allowed some RAC had they been perfect. The rest were pretty much on target.

I don't give a darn what he did the rest of his career. All I was reviewing is what he did yesterday.

There was a very flat pass he threw to Patton on a Corner route that was severely underthrown as well. On the passes that you say the WR was well covered, it could be that it was a poor decision to target that WR in the first place. This analysis is a great read, but it is very much centered around grading his accuracy and not his decision making.

true dat.

Until we see the all22 we cannot evaluate his decision making. All I could go on was what was visible on the screen and Aikman's comments as to Dallas' ability to cover.
  • dj43

I think this is the one I watched a few times, it was a really poor pass that seems indicative of many of Gabbert's short passes that are complete. It was an easy pass, there was no pressure on Gabbert and no defenders anywhere near Draughn yet Gabbert sailed it way over the receivers head and away from the direction the receiver was running, Draughn had to jump and twist just to catch it and had no hope of much YAC because of the poor throw.

Draughn wasn't going to make much more on that play if Gabbert had run over and put it in SD's arms. Dallas had everything covered and was playing the short stuff just like Seattle did last week - let SF complete the short stuff and tackle the receiver all the while taking away anything past the sticks.

Receivers have to make those kinds of catches all the time. I watched the NO game last week and saw Drew Brees twist some of his receivers into pretzels in order to catch balls that were not perfectly thrown.

But stay focused on this one play that was going nowhere no matter how perfect the throw and ignore the numerous other VERY GOOD throws he made.

I think there were YAC to be had but that is beside the point, it was a terrible pass despite the fact that it was caught. Decent quarterbacks make that easy throw consistently.
That play is indicative of how Gabbert delivers the ball regularly, for his entire career.
He made some good throws for sure but not nearly enough to make up for the horrible ones.

How did the throw I pointed out not make your list of poor throws? It was not a good or even average throw, it was lucky to be caught at all.

It was a catch a pro football player is expected to catch 90% of the time. Was it perfect? No. Was it terrible? No again.

How is it that you continue to choose to ignore the throws that the announcers raved about and focus only on this one?
dj, great effort and all but I don't even know if this thread is worth while. It is clear by now that our current starter is no leader of men. Any discussion regarding our WR's or QB's is numb to me now.

It was a catch a pro football player is expected to catch 90% of the time. Was it perfect? No. Was it terrible? No again.

How is it that you continue to choose to ignore the throws that the announcers raved about and focus only on this one?

I expected him to catch it and do nothing with it because it was so poorly thrown. he had to leave his feet to catch it. It was terrible a two yard pass that was almost uncatchable and left the receiver unable to get any YAC and, if there had been a defender closer, would have put the receiver at risk of injury (like the Celek throw the week before).
This bad throw was more indicative of Gabbert's current ability than the good throws. Look at the numbers. The 49ers rank 30th in YAC.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
dj, great effort and all but I don't even know if this thread is worth while. It is clear by now that our current starter is no leader of men. Any discussion regarding our WR's or QB's is numb to me now.

You may be correct. Most seem to have their own opinion and nothing is going to change their mind.

I enjoy doing it, in part, because I want to make up my own mind about what is going on out there rather than just the same old harangue about what happened 4 years ago. Also, I like to watch the play unfold the first time - follow the ball instead of watching the play of individuals. After the game is over then I go back and look for the reasons why something worked or didn't work. Very often my impression from my first watch is changed by the re-watch. Anyway.....
This was a much more enjoyable task to review this game than last week. Here are the passing plays with my comments at the bottom.

Yd line - down/distance - result

O41 - 2/6 - 5 yard completion to Burgridge. Nice to see AB getting some run. His size and strength have been lacking.

D49 - 2/12 - inc to Patton along right sideline, ball knocked away by DB. Patton's timing was altered somewhat by incidental contact with Dallas DB covering another 49er on crossing route.

D36 - 2/10 - 3 yd completion along left sideline to Celek who went down very easily by a one-arm tackle by DB. Had he been able to run through that tackle he would have had another 4-6 yards. Good throw on type of pass Gabbert has struggled on in the past.

D33 - 3/7 - 15 yd strike to Kerley RAC the remaining 18 yds for TD. Gabbert waited for Kerley to clear and threw a good ball. Good drive.

____

O25 - 2/9 - inc along left sideline to Patton who was well covered. Ball was high but there was little chance Patton could have made catch due to coverage.

025 - 3/9 - 13 yd completion to Celek. Good route. Good throw.

D48 - 1/10 - 8 yd pass with 20 yds RAC by Celek. Deeper routes cleared zone for Celek. Gabbert waited for Celek to clear and hit him in stride.

D29 - 2/12 - 17 yd completion to Kerley. GREAT throw into tiny window. Good catch by Kerley. (Hyde ultimately scores TD.)

___

O13 - 2/7? - Brown allows immediate pressure between guard and tackle and Gabbert is sacked for 7 yard loss. No "hot" receiver visible.

___

O33 - 3/3 - Inc to Kerley short right. Dallas DB gets away with hold on Kerley to prevent him from coming back to the ball. Bigger receiver might have fought free but Kerley is not that guy.

___

D44 - 1/10 - 14 yd throw to Celek with 14 yd RAC. Incredible one-handed catch on ball that could not have been more expertly placed. Aikman raved about it.

D18 - 3/4 - Inc. intended for Burbridge. Ball bounced short of Burbridge who was short of LTG. First bad pass of the game for Gabbert. FG.

___

O23 - 3/7- 4 yd completion to Hyde. No open receivers.

___

O22 - 1/10 - 6 yd completion to Kerley on rt sideline. First look. All receivers run short of LTG.

O44 - 3/3 - Inc. 18 yd throw to Kerley knocked away on good play be DB. "No separation and no other targets open," Aikman. Just as Gabbert released ball it appeared Smith might have been getting behind DB but was not open earlier.

___

O45 - 1/10 - INT by Claiborne on under thrown ball. Worst pass of an otherwise good day for Gabbert.

___

O25 - 1/10 - 9 yd completion to Celek on rt sideline. Smith was also open on opposite sideline for what might have been a 12 yd completion.

O35 - 2/? - 6 yd completion to Kerley who makes a great catch on ball thrown low and away from DB.

O41 - 1/10 - 18 yd completion to Kerley who goes to knees to make the catch. A higher throw would have allowed Kerley to stay on his feet for RAC.

D40 2/1 5 yd completion to Kerley who came back to make catch. Higher throw might have gained 2-3 more yards however it also might have allowed DB to make play to defend it. Kerley did not have separation laterally. Come back allowed him to make easy catch.

D36 - 4/6 - Staley gives up a rare quick hurry forcing Gabbert to roll rt, eventually throwing incomplete to end game. Had Staley been able to force rusher wide Gabbert would have had 10+ plus yards to run up the middle or possibly find an open receiver.

SUMMARY: A bitter sweet game. By far Gabbert's best performance as a 49er. Unfortunately it will also be remembered for the under throw pick by Claiborne. Gabbert made some incredible throws and receivers made some great catches. The routes were deeper in this game and receivers were getting more open than in the past, albeit against a weaker secondary than the past two games. OL was giving excellent protection and Gabbert was showing the patience we have all hoped he would show. 3rd down conversions were a very pleasant surprise both in the passing game and Gabbert's running.

Gabbert's running results were a mixed bag. Some good runs for good gains, particularly on 3rd down runs. He also was tackled for little or no gain on several plays where he kept the ball instead of handing off. Dallas had obviously scouted the Seattle game and was doing a good job taking away the handoff as well as the keep. Kelly kept forcing the issue in hopes of opening the middle for Hyde runs. It did seem to be working but Dallas was well prepared and held gains to a minimum. Lack of speed did not seem to be the issue with turning the corner as Gabbert has excellent speed. Dallas just had it well defended.

All of which only points to the fact that until the defense improves, the margin for error with this team remains razor thin. With Bowman now out, that margin will be even thinner. Hopefully the defense will rally around and improve. We will have to wait and see.

Thanks for putting in the time on this. I couldn't/wouldn't rewatch this game
Good read
Good stuff dj...couple this with the film thread and we've got a nice accurate account. Much appreciated.

One thing I like about Kelly is that he's honest. When he screws up, he admits it. When a RB or WR screws up, he talks about it. So it was refreshing to hear him admit that INT was on Gabbert and not a WR/QB miscommunication. It was on Gabbert. Period. With that said, I'll take Kelly's word that Gabbert played well too overall. Your breakdown supports that. Aside from Robinson, who had a better game?

Maybe Kelly can build on the 5-15 yard passing on first downs going forward.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Never Forget

Originally posted by captveg:
Posting this again here because it's absolutely relevant to the many 2nd and long / 3rd and longs we are seeing.

Kelly needs to pass more on 1st down. The stats back this up, even with Gabbert at QB and the current WR/TE group. Here are all the first downs plays in yesterday's game, separated by drive:

Run/Pass, player, yards

Run, Hyde, 4
Run, Gabbert, -2
Run, Gabbert, 0

Run, Hyde, 0
Run, Draughn, 1
Pass, Celek, 25
Run, Gabbert, -2
Run, Gabbert, 6

Run, Hyde, 4
Pass, SACK, -7

Run, Hyde, 9

Run, KNEEL DOWN, -1 (Ignoring in analysis below)

HALF

Run, Hyde, 32
Pass, Celek, 29
Run, Gabbert, -1

Run, Hyde, 1

Pass, Kerley, 6
Run, Hyde, 4

Pass, Smith, INT

Pass, Celek, 9
Pass, Kerley, 20
Run, Gabbert, -1

-----

14 first down runs, 7 first down passes

Throw out the 32 yarder and we ran for 23 yards on 13 first downs. That's a 1.7 yard average folks. And five of them were for a loss or no gain.

Gabbert was 5/6 passing on first down and those five completions averaged 17.8 yards, with the incompletion being the long shot INT, and the 7th play being the sack. Even with those two negative plays the average yards for the 1st down pass plays was 11.7. And 3 of the 7 first down passes came on the last two drives of the game when we were behind and Dallas was EXPECTING pass.

So, when you look at it, the run:pass ratio on first down until the INT in the 4th quarter was 13:4. 3x the runs on first vs. the passes. And of those four pass plays there was one negative, but three positive for gains of 25, 29 and 6.

Conclusion? THROW THE DAMN BALL MORE ON 1ST DOWN. The ratio needs to be 1:1, not 3:1. What about the sack and the INT you say? Yes, negative plays will happen. But you know what? They happen a lot less frequently so far. Keep the passes in the 5-15 range and Gabbert has done pretty well passing on 1st. Don't let one sack (first of the year?) and one INT (on a long low % attempt) dictate avoiding gains of 6, 25, 29, 9, and 20.

This is important info and thl also noted that there should be a run pass option. If Kelly is a stats guy, he's got to be seeing his own primary calls coupled with Gabbert most likely staying with it and the lack of success because defenses are more than ready for it. And with this pass protection, Gabbert should have all day back there allowing our weak and learning receivers that extra second to get open. Gabbert seems to be most accurate on the intermediate passes...is that just me?
Originally posted by LenCat:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by awp8912:
Sad that, that was his best performance as a Niner.....I mean come on.

196 yards and 1 TD for Gabbert is a career game. That just depresses the hell out of me.

Remember what Bill Walsh said about Steve DeBerg? "He plays just well enough to lose"

Glad you brought it up. I was thinking about this all of yesterday.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Never Forget

this
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is important info and thl also noted that there should be a run pass option. If Kelly is a stats guy, he's got to be seeing his own primary calls coupled with Gabbert most likely staying with it and the lack of success because defenses are more than ready for it. And with this pass protection, Gabbert should have all day back there allowing our weak and learning receivers that extra second to get open. Gabbert seems to be most accurate on the intermediate passes...is that just me?

It's not just you. That's why I think 50% of 1st down calls should be passes of 5-15 yards.
I actually thought Gabbert was playing well for a majority of the game. There were a few times where he made the correct reads and found the guy but he was completely covered by the defender. He also made one throw to Celek that had me going there that maybe he's turning a corner. But then there was the Torrey Smith thing.......

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000714054/Blaine-Gabbert-threads-it-to-Garrett-Celek-for-29-yards

I don't know. Blaine is frustrating because he's just
not consistent enough for my liking and he doesn't have the big play capability where he can get away with some head scratchers.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 3, 2016 at 10:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone