LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Thoughts on the State of the Team: 2017 Outlook & Why Baalke is Responsible

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by mayo49:
This is a rebuilding year what are all you Debby Downers complaining about?

I just want to keep trying though, season is still young... not giving up.

Yeah, I still have hope for this season to be respectable, although for me that doesn't change the current disappointment. I'll take refuge in the hope that they're doing some serious information culling and talent evaluation from these losses to put to good use in the future.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hitman49:
We have no more bright spots left...only 4 games into the season...no player you can look at on this current roster and think that is someone we can build around(maybe Hyde)...even with all those draft picks on the defensive side...

That is just nonsense.
In not sure who to blame more, Gabbert or whomever is calling the plays. It is what is killing our drives. Can someone tell me why Gabbert tosses the ball to a receiver who is underneath the 1st down mark AND why he throws it long when we are just 3 yards away from the 1st down? It defies logic when you are a team that is so devoid of talent, momentum, and inspiration??? Maday maday, I know someone is out there, I know someone can hear me.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jed_York

Read if you need to feel more hopelessness and depression.

We are the Browns 2.0. This team is FUBAR.

I think rebuild puts a little bit too positive of a spin on it. It makes it sound like this is a process, like we'll definitely be good in 3-4 years. But the 2000s showed us that that isn't always true. Hell, everything before 1981 shows that isn't always true. To call anything a rebuild is just sad to me and indicative that this team could be mediocre for a long time.

All that matters is right now. It's unrealistic, but to say "well this year is a wash but we'll be back at the top in no time" is just a desperate fantasy by teams that are mediocre with no sign of improvement.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dicekiller:
Originally posted by LVJay:

I just want to keep trying though, season is still young... not giving up.

Yeah, I still have hope for this season to be respectable, although for me that doesn't change the current disappointment. I'll take refuge in the hope that they're doing some serious information culling and talent evaluation from these losses to put to good use in the future.

Like just be competitive and/or win at least 4 more games?

I definitely think so too about that information / evaluation process...
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
In not sure who to blame more, Gabbert or whomever is calling the plays. It is what is killing our drives. Can someone tell me why Gabbert tosses the ball to a receiver who is underneath the 1st down mark AND why he throws it long when we are just 3 yards away from the 1st down? It defies logic when you are a team that is so devoid of talent, momentum, and inspiration??? Maday maday, I know someone is out there, I know someone can hear me.

I agree except that the WRs, outside of Kerley and Smith don't even look like they belong on an NFL field. They all had defenders draped all over them all day long. To compound the issues when a receiver breaks free the QB can't deliver the ball (see the late int).

The biggest issue on defense is simply all the wasted picks Baalke has made. Remember this 49ers roster is chalked full of Baalke's early round picks, which means some of them should be showing something. Buckner played well today as did Robinson. Beyond that it's just a dogs breakfast. It's not that they're bad, they're just not that good either.

What I'm disappointed with on defense is that nobody has seized the opportunity they've been given and made themselves indispensable and that's really disappointing given the premium picks that have been used in them. If the young guys don't improve Baalke should be on the hot seat.

It might actually do York some good to purge the team of a bad past and start anew with cap space and high draft pick for a new regime to select a QB for the future.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM ]
Originally posted by reasonable1:
What's going on currently has been happening in waves.

2013 CG loss and Willis misses significant time for the first time.

Bowman gets hurt and misses 2014.

Also in 2014 Willis gets hurt and Kaepernick starts to moderately regress. Guys get older. Ray Mac gets into trouble and so does Aldon.

2015 the mass retirements and exodus begins...

In that time...there was no need for Baalke to spend high draft choices on OLBs when you have a guy on pace to set the all time sack record. There was no need to draft a QB when your HC was all in on the one you had. There was no need to draft ILBs when you had 2 of the very best at the position already starting for you.

Sometimes you have to chill the emotion and see things for what they are. Yes Baalke missed on some talent but he has also hit on a lot too and that was on display today at many positions.

Unfortunately...the positions we are suffering the most right now are the ones the team didn't think they had to worry about for a long time.

And it isn't that easy to just replace HOF talent with more HOF talent. Its just not. Especially not when they're at the most important positions on the field.

Good post man, sounds like you believe in baalke
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If you look at Baalke recent picks/signings/trades:

- Hodges isn't cutting it at ILB and will be now FORCED to take over for Bowman.
- NT position is s**t and it's part of why we are getting gashed for big gains against the run. Purcell...really?
- Brock should not be any team's #1 CB. He gets paid like a #3 and performs like it, too.
- Gabbert...nuff said.
- Where's Mike Davis? Get him on the f**king field.
- Blake Bell..where is he at? McDonald down, Celek injured, and no weapon from a 4th round pick in a TE friendly offense? Yikes.
- Smith doesn't have the same speed and burst that he had last year...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Basement dwellers,Doormats. Just a complete mess all together.

Jed thought that he could keep winning after firing Harbaugh because it wasn't the coaching that mattered. This is what happens when you're a moron and you get conned by shysters like Baalke, Turns out winning is a bit harder than he bargained for.

I want to see Trent Baalke and Jim O'Neil get the axe.

All 3 Quarterbacks released

Chip I am on the fence about still, leaning towards the axe.

Promote Gamble to GM.
Originally posted by corona55569:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
What's going on currently has been happening in waves.

2013 CG loss and Willis misses significant time for the first time.

Bowman gets hurt and misses 2014.

Also in 2014 Willis gets hurt and Kaepernick starts to moderately regress. Guys get older. Ray Mac gets into trouble and so does Aldon.

2015 the mass retirements and exodus begins...

In that time...there was no need for Baalke to spend high draft choices on OLBs when you have a guy on pace to set the all time sack record. There was no need to draft a QB when your HC was all in on the one you had. There was no need to draft ILBs when you had 2 of the very best at the position already starting for you.

Sometimes you have to chill the emotion and see things for what they are. Yes Baalke missed on some talent but he has also hit on a lot too and that was on display today at many positions.

Unfortunately...the positions we are suffering the most right now are the ones the team didn't think they had to worry about for a long time.

And it isn't that easy to just replace HOF talent with more HOF talent. Its just not. Especially not when they're at the most important positions on the field.

Good post man, sounds like you believe in baalke

You know, I could play devil's advocate here and say that the guy is right and Baalke (and the 49ers really) were dealt a bad hand.

However, the 2-3 years we were this de facto #1 team in the NFL, not once did Baalke really do something to take us over the top. Having seen what John Elway did to an inferior 2012 Broncos team to make them superb is sickening.

Elway GMing us would have gotten 1 or 2 rings guaranteed. IMO, one blue chip CB or WR would have done the job to knock off Seattle or whomever.

Failure, and it sucks.
Average team, but better than the results suggest.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
I want to see Trent Baalke and Jim O'Neil get the axe.

All 3 Quarterbacks released

Chip I am on the fence about still, leaning towards the axe.

Promote Gamble to GM.

A bit contradictory, don't you think. Gamble is probably who suggested Chip to Baalke/York. I don't think you can promote Gamble and have him axe Chip.
This is a total mess that wasn't hard to see coming. It will remain a total mess until winning is prioritized over profitability. Over 40 million in unused salary cap space from a team that is in the top 5 in generating revenue. That's the real story that's being overlooked while we cry about a horribly overmatched guy like Baalke. After we get rid of Baalke, there's just going to be another Baalke. That's the saddest part of this whole excercise. It's an excercise of futility. We are a bad franchise. We are a franchise that nobody wants to play for. We are a franchise with an ownership group gravy training the legacy of a once proud franchise built by men that cared about football.
[ Edited by Follower on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone