LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Roster changes you'd make to improve this team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I would start Robinson and Ward as the starting corners and start playing more man/press man. Try and trade brock. Stick with Davis as the Nickle corner. Tartt as the starting SS. Bethea comes in during Nickle situations and plays next to Bowman. Start Buckner and AA. Put Tank in the starting spot and in the base defense and rotate Harold in for Nickle. Sign Keyarris Garrett off of the Panthers practice squad and cut K. Martin. Get Davis more carries. Start Kap. Garnett starts. Throw a deep ball.

You had me until here. This may be asking WAY too much.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I would start Robinson and Ward as the starting corners and start playing more man/press man. Try and trade brock. Stick with Davis as the Nickle corner. Tartt as the starting SS. Bethea comes in during Nickle situations and plays next to Bowman. Start Buckner and AA. Put Tank in the starting spot and in the base defense and rotate Harold in for Nickle. Sign Keyarris Garrett off of the Panthers practice squad and cut K. Martin. Get Davis more carries. Start Kap. Garnett starts. Throw a deep ball.

You had me until here. This may be asking WAY too much.

Yeah can only ask so much I got greedy
Serious question why don't we rush Harold from the Strong side? RT are usually not as athletic as the LT and Harold could be better there on passing downs using his speed. Have Brooks rush from the weak side where he can use his power and his veteran knowledge to beat the LT. Just a thought. Von Miller rushes on the strong side mostly due to this for a reason. Makes the RT bail his inside leverage scared of the speed rush and one cut and rip and he's at the QB. Simple thought that seems like it alludes some coaches.
*I would start Bellore at ILB with Bowman , it's worth a shot, we already know what were getting with Wilhoite and Hodges

*Move Ward to starting Strong safety , his athleticism would add a lot to the defense, Bethea isn't standing out as a top defender

*start Dontae Johnson at CB in Wards place, he's solid enough to run with bigger WR's

*start Blair at OLB, I don't care if he is young and raw , he has more potential to make plays than Harold and Carradine

*use Tank as an Edge rusher on passing downs in the nickel only, he just don't set the edge against in the run as a 3-4 OLB at this time

*Give Mike Davis the snaps that Draughn has been getting

*Streater and Burbridge need more snaps, maybe even start Streater to see if he can make some plays

*Garnett needs to play, I don't care if it's RG or LG, might as well let him get his feet wet now

$HIT NEEDS TO HAPPEN , these last 2 games were humiliating , we need to try some combinations and get this thing going
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Gabbert out , ponder gets the nod . Say what you want ponder can't do any worse and this offence may be suited to his skills more then you think . Tank or Eli takes a seat and Marcus rush gets the chance he already earned . Rush could be a hidden gem . Patton sits streeter starts , this is just to give us a different look on the outside and see what streeter brings to the table . Davis gets some carries north and south , big back may surprise us with some regular carries . Ponders the key we need to get him in there .

Talk about really taking preseason seriously.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not much we can do this year. A few lineup changes I would make:

1) Garnett the starting LG over Beadles.
2) Dorsey starting NT over Purcell.
3) Rashard Robinson becomes the primary Nickel corner. Ward regains slot role in Nickel. Chris Davis to the bench.
3) Get DuJuan Harris some touches on offense.
4) Use receiver by committee approach until someone, anyone, stands out.
5) Make a QB change sometime between weeks 6 - 9 unless things improve significantly.

agree with everything except #1. Beadles has actually done really good. Isnt it Tiller whose run blocking is horrible? Would make more sense to focus more on the run game by replacing the worst run blocker with Garnett
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by bors:
Go with the 4-3 alignment... seriously.

Why not, we sucked with what we were doing recently, so why not?

We really need to. I don't think we have the personnel for a 3-4 anymore.

3-4 depends on excellent play at NT. Right now, Purcell is still learning the game. He hasn't even played the equivalent of a whole season. He has played well for the most part but then makes mistakes due to his inexperience. Hopefully, with experience he levels out his play. Dorsey is very good when healthy. He is still not quite back. Look for him to take over the majority time in the next couple of weeks.

So as of now, we don't have the quality at NT to play 3-4 effectively and with Armstead not able to play a large number of snaps, we don't that the numbers to play 4-3. If he were healthy, a 4-3 might provide more pass rush than we are currently getting. We have to hope Lynch will help there.
Seems I have a doppelganger on these here forums...
Originally posted by dj43:

3-4 depends on excellent play at NT. Right now, Purcell is still learning the game. He hasn't even played the equivalent of a whole season. He has played well for the most part but then makes mistakes due to his inexperience. Hopefully, with experience he levels out his play. Dorsey is very good when healthy. He is still not quite back. Look for him to take over the majority time in the next couple of weeks.

So as of now, we don't have the quality at NT to play 3-4 effectively and with Armstead not able to play a large number of snaps, we don't that the numbers to play 4-3. If he were healthy, a 4-3 might provide more pass rush than we are currently getting. We have to hope Lynch will help there.

Yes but imagine AA and Buckner as DT next to one another. Blair and Lynch as the Ends.

OLB would be Brooks on the strong side and Ray Ray on the weak side. Since he's injured, our only hole on the front would be weak side LB, but that's easy to fill by drafting an oversized FS, undersized DE, fast ILB...there are so many different ways to fill the OLB spots in a 4-3 since our 4 man front is strong and set.

Right now, we have 2 glaring holes, pass rusher and ILB. In a 4-3, we are strong even without Lynch by using Tank as DE. He would get to do what he's good at which is attack.

Also, Harold and Hodges's are wasting a roster spot. We are talent heavy at the DL positions.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
If we see no improvement by the end of the year:

Tank
Eli
MM
Wilhoite
Hodges
TJE
Patton
Draugnh
Chris Davis
Purcell
Bethea
Kap
Gabbert
Ponder

Can all walk/traded/released

Chris davis?????????

• dj43
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not much we can do this year. A few lineup changes I would make:

1) Garnett the starting LG over Beadles.
2) Dorsey starting NT over Purcell.
3) Rashard Robinson becomes the primary Nickel corner. Ward regains slot role in Nickel. Chris Davis to the bench.
3) Get DuJuan Harris some touches on offense.
4) Use receiver by committee approach until someone, anyone, stands out.
5) Make a QB change sometime between weeks 6 - 9 unless things improve significantly.

agree with everything except #1. Beadles has actually done really good. Isnt it Tiller whose run blocking is horrible? Would make more sense to focus more on the run game by replacing the worst run blocker with Garnett

Tiller is #23 in the league in run blocking. Beadles is WAY down the list. #54 in run blocking. #66 overall. Marcus Martin scores better in run blocking than Beadles!

Look for Garnett to take over for Beadles in the coming weeks.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

Yes but imagine AA and Buckner as DT next to one another. Blair and Lynch as the Ends.

OLB would be Brooks on the strong side and Ray Ray on the weak side. Since he's injured, our only hole on the front would be weak side LB, but that's easy to fill by drafting an oversized FS, undersized DE, fast ILB...there are so many different ways to fill the OLB spots in a 4-3 since our 4 man front is strong and set.

Right now, we have 2 glaring holes, pass rusher and ILB. In a 4-3, we are strong even without Lynch by using Tank as DE. He would get to do what he's good at which is attack.

Also, Harold and Hodges's are wasting a roster spot. We are talent heavy at the DL positions.

are you impyng bow cant play ILB in a 4-3?
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
I know most of the fans and the veterans don't want to hear this, but what are we playing for here? Are the playoffs a reality this season? Do we want a mid-round slot just to miss out on the very best the draft may have to offer?

I'm not suggesting we deliberately tank the season, but the fact is we are missing the main ingredients that make for a consistently competitive team. If the last two weeks are any indication we won't need to tank to end up with a top five or ten pick. It'll happen naturally.

As suggested previously, let the kids play, we need to see what they're made of. If there is cream on the roster, let it rise to the top. Armstead (unfortunately he's injured), Buckner, Robinson, Tartt, let them loose.

Beyond some spots where the youth might be able to step up, there are more spots where there is basically nothing (QB, WR for example). Whether it is Gabbert (I'd almost prefer him because he is so bad) or Kaepernick, or Ponder, let's just ride this season out and get to the draft where the true opportunity for genuine improvement of the roster can begin.

We need to weed out the garbage quickly, but we have so many holes that true change will take longer than one off-season. I don't think blowing our salary cap load is the smart thing to do. Which is not to say that if the right (productive/impact/leaders) players come available that we shouldn't bring them in. I'm not sure there are a lot of options at this point in the season.

Someone or a moderator deleted my post, Gabbert is the new Curtis Painter, the Niners want to lose every game this year. It is a wise move. Better than giving up 3 first round picks to move up 5 slots for a ??? qb.
  • dj43

Armstead is the key. Everyone said he looked like the best player on the field in TC prior to the shoulder injury. Now he is dealing with a knee issue as well.

I agree on the LB needs. Would like to see Rush in passing situation. Too light to defend run. Don't see a replacement for Hodges. He has the physical package but just doesn't seem to have the football IQ to do the job. We've seen what Wilhoite can do = not much.
Armstead is the key. Everyone said he looked like the best player on the field in TC prior to the shoulder injury. Now he is dealing with a knee issue as well.

I agree on the LB needs. Would like to see Rush in passing situation. Too light to defend run. Don't see a replacement for Hodges. He has the physical package but just doesn't seem to have the football IQ to do the job. We've seen what Wilhoite can do = not much.

I'm almost close to wanting Wilhoite back in. The other guys make too many mental errors. With Wilhoite, at least he will flash his jersey in his gap in hopes to misdirect the ball carrier.
Share 49ersWebzone