LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Roster changes you'd make to improve this team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gabbert out , ponder gets the nod . Say what you want ponder can't do any worse and this offence may be suited to his skills more then you think . Tank or Eli takes a seat and Marcus rush gets the chance he already earned . Rush could be a hidden gem . Patton sits streeter starts , this is just to give us a different look on the outside and see what streeter brings to the table . Davis gets some carries north and south , big back may surprise us with some regular carries . Ponders the key we need to get him in there .
If we see no improvement by the end of the year:

Tank
Eli
MM
Wilhoite
Hodges
TJE
Patton
Draugnh
Chris Davis
Purcell
Bethea
Kap
Gabbert
Ponder

Can all walk/traded/released
I would like to see Nick Bellore get the nod over both Hodges N Wilhoite at ILB
Play as many young guys as we can to see where we need to improve our roster in the off-season through the draft and free agency. We have a ton of cash to spend and should have a very high draft pick, so there should be a huge influx of talent before Kelly's 2nd year as head coach. Give Tank some playing time, play Johnson and Robinson some more at CB, and maybe give Tartt some more playing time.

I don't really care who plays at QB - we already know we have to find a replacement at QB. Gabbert may give us a better idea on where the rest of the offense stands because he's less of a train wreck than Kaepernick. Ponder is not a good football player.
I know most of the fans and the veterans don't want to hear this, but what are we playing for here? Are the playoffs a reality this season? Do we want a mid-round slot just to miss out on the very best the draft may have to offer?

I'm not suggesting we deliberately tank the season, but the fact is we are missing the main ingredients that make for a consistently competitive team. If the last two weeks are any indication we won't need to tank to end up with a top five or ten pick. It'll happen naturally.

As suggested previously, let the kids play, we need to see what they're made of. If there is cream on the roster, let it rise to the top. Armstead (unfortunately he's injured), Buckner, Robinson, Tartt, let them loose.

Beyond some spots where the youth might be able to step up, there are more spots where there is basically nothing (QB, WR for example). Whether it is Gabbert (I'd almost prefer him because he is so bad) or Kaepernick, or Ponder, let's just ride this season out and get to the draft where the true opportunity for genuine improvement of the roster can begin.

We need to weed out the garbage quickly, but we have so many holes that true change will take longer than one off-season. I don't think blowing our salary cap load is the smart thing to do. Which is not to say that if the right (productive/impact/leaders) players come available that we shouldn't bring them in. I'm not sure there are a lot of options at this point in the season.
Put Garnett in over Beadles or Tiller, not that they haven't played well but I think he's better even now. Give Mike Davis some meaningful carries, sign Marcel Reese, a couple more deep throws a game, some trick plays and reverses.

Chris Davis is not good, Robinson and Redmond (when he comes back) should be getting his playing time. More corner and safety blitzes, let Tank pin his ears back and just focus on hitting the QB. Make Armstead, Dorsey, and Buckner the starters on the line.

Put in Kaep.
Not much we can do this year. A few lineup changes I would make:

1) Garnett the starting LG over Beadles.
2) Dorsey starting NT over Purcell.
3) Rashard Robinson becomes the primary Nickel corner. Ward regains slot role in Nickel. Chris Davis to the bench.
3) Get DuJuan Harris some touches on offense.
4) Use receiver by committee approach until someone, anyone, stands out.
5) Make a QB change sometime between weeks 6 - 9 unless things improve significantly.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not much we can do this year. A few lineup changes I would make:

1) Garnett the starting LG over Beadles. Beadles is ranked #66. Garnett should be able to play at that level.
2) Dorsey starting NT over Purcell. Purcell has had some good plays but also made some bad plays due to inexperience. As he gains experience, he will eliminate those. Dorsey, when healthy, is very good.
3) Rashard Robinson becomes the primary Nickel corner. Ward regains slot role in Nickel. Chris Davis to the bench. Like Robinson. Davis has flashed but not dependable.
3) Get DuJuan Harris some touches on offense. We need more of a receiving threat out of the backfield. Harris has some burst and shake.
4) Use receiver by committee approach until someone, anyone, stands out. FULLY agree. Burbridge may be the guy to win some 50/50 balls. Other than that, I don't see much.
5) Make a QB change sometime between weeks 6 - 9 unless things improve significantly. Until #4 improves I don't see that a change in QB is going to make any difference. Even then, we are just moving chairs on the deck.

My comments above.
How would Eli be as a insider linebacker
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Errrrrybody!!! Almost....

Keep Bowman, Lynch, Dial, Brooks, Blair, Robinson, Tartt, Reid, all the Olinemen, Hyde, Dawson and maybe the Baby Huey Twins (MAYBE)

Play Johnson and Robinson on the outside
Play Brock at slot until ward comes back and then let ward play outside and Johnson can be a backup.
Don't play Chris Davis or reaser at all
Play rush and have him on pass rushing dens instead or Harold
Play Garnett at left guard
Play Davis vs Draughn as a second rb (easy decision)
Patton is not good so send out Streater to take his place
Play kap ASAP
Let tartt play Nickle lb like he is and also let him play or rotate with bathea
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Ponder is the key to the porta potty and Gabby / Kap are duplicate keys... I'd rather put my trust in a Bellichick coached Julian Edelman
  • dj43
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
How would Eli be as a insider linebacker

I don't think he has ever played there, certainly not here.

Too bad Ray Ray got hurt. He had surprised everyone with his play. His speed made a difference.
You guys have really put some great effort in to this. Well done. But I have to be honest and say that it is like reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
You guys have really put some great effort in to this. Well done. But I have to be honest and say that it is like reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

#ToTheBottomFolks
Share 49ersWebzone