There are 242 users in the forums

Week 3 Seattle Seahawks coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Would be awesome if we could do a real quick fleaflicker off that. Or have the RB get the ball and pitch out to the QB. Especially if a team has their LB covering both RB and QB as SEA did there. If Gabbert kept it, the LB's speed would be enough to catch him for minimal gain.
That's what I think as well. There are also two WRs on the edge that have to sustain blocks on CBs for Gabbert to get any moderate gain.

He did keep it later and gained 3 yards. Sea's LB's are so fast though, and all their zone coverages allow them to keep their eyes on the ball at all times so they rally to horizontal runs very quickly. When we started running more power run plays, we started to gain more traction. Even in the first half, we went almost no-where on our zone blocks and were mostly successful with power blocks. We'd at least get 3-4 yards.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
If you have the time and inclination, could you break down the 9ers offenses' "second and six" play on the second offensive series of the first quarter? It looks to me like a read option where Gabbert hands off to Hyde but it seems like Gabbert should have kept it.

Normally, the zone read will read the DE, but the way SEA lines up Bennett (Staley's inside shoulder) prevents Bennett from being the unblocked key defender to read. Because of this alignment, Staley is forced to block Bennett, otherwise Bennett will just fly in a blow up the mesh point since he's so close to the QB/RB.

Read KJ Wright. By doing this small teak to the DL alignment, it changes the blocking assignments and changes who the read defender is. Now, if Gabbert keeps, he isn't on the edge 1v1 with a DE, he's 1v1 versus a LB (more athletic than a DE).

Same moment in time as above. Gabbert can go 1v1 against KJ Wright if he chooses to, although there's a second LB that's also clean.

+3. Maybe the QB keeper gets more yards, but it's not a definite imo.

Isn't it a designed run between the C and RT? Look at the RG get on the 2nd level. Or maybe an intentional fake run between that gap.

I think Hyde bounced it outside the LT because Bennett was so successful at beating Staley inside. Bennett cheated heavily inside because he had complete confidence his LB could cover the gap outside LT.

If it was a designed run to the outside of Staley, the WR nearest the LT should come over to block the OLB over Staley's outside. Then if the WR comes to block the the OLB, hopefully the slight delay in Gabbert's hand off freezes his corner long enough for Hyde to get into space

edit: I dunno, the more I look at the more I think it was a designed fake run between C and RT with the intention of drawing the OLB out of position. The OLB's discipline to stay to the outside LT gap ended it. Chip was trying to fool them I think.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:56 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Would be awesome if we could do a real quick fleaflicker off that. Or have the RB get the ball and pitch out to the QB. Especially if a team has their LB covering both RB and QB as SEA did there. If Gabbert kept it, the LB's speed would be enough to catch him for minimal gain.
That's what I think as well. There are also two WRs on the edge that have to sustain blocks on CBs for Gabbert to get any moderate gain.

He did keep it later and gained 3 yards. Sea's LB's are so fast though, and all their zone coverages allow them to keep their eyes on the ball at all times so they rally to horizontal runs very quickly. When we started running more power run plays, we started to gain more traction. Even in the first half, we went almost no-where on our zone blocks and were mostly successful with power blocks. We'd at least get 3-4 yards.

Would be awesome if we see a pro set or power I with Blair at FB. Probably saving it for the playoffs.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Isn't it a designed run between the C and RT? Look at the RG get on the 2nd level. Or maybe an intentional fake run between that gap.

I think Hyde bounced it outside the LT because Bennett was so successful at beating Staley inside. Bennett cheated heavily inside because he had complete confidence his LB could cover the gap outside LT.

If it was a designed run to the outside of Staley, the WR nearest the LT should come over to block the OLB over Staley's outside. Then if the WR comes to block the the OLB, hopefully the slight delay in Gabbert's hand off freezes his corner long enough for Hyde to get into space

edit: I dunno, the more I look at the more I think it was a designed fake run between C and RT with the intention of drawing the OLB out of position. The OLB's discipline to stay to the outside LT gap ended it. Chip was trying to fool them I think.
What's great about zone runs is that the hole to run/gap to run through is to be determined based on the defensive alignment and the post snap action. Inside Zone generally wants to attack the A gap bubble (gap bubble is the gap that has no DL lined up over it), but a RB makes postsnap reads and adjusts accordingly.

Looking at the defensive front on this play, I agree that Hyde should look to go behind Tiller since that's where the bubble gap is.

Bennett does a good job shooting the gap between Beadles/Staley and disrupts Hyde from being able to get behind Tiller. Hyde is seen cutting back to avoid Bennett

It's interesting watching how defenses are defending Chip's run game. Whether it's adding another box defender right before the snap, lining up the DL a bit differently than convetional, or exchanging gaps post snap (gap scraping). These are all things I'm sure Chip has seen before and there are ways to exploit the defense for cheating towards stopping the run.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Thanks for the breakdowns jonny and thl.

I hold Gabbert accountable for a lot of the team failings, and think he's utterly woeful, and I think he makes us much easier to defend because of his poor throw selection (reads), accuracy and unwillingness to throw to the sidelines or deep. When a defense does not fear a deep ball it makes it much easier to stifle the offense and I did expect us to come out with a gameplan to stretch the field horizontally but the coaches should share blame for this result.

Having said that I wonder how much of the gameplan is based on Gabbert's inadequacies and trying to have something he can execute.I believe that the coaches are very much trying to cover up his weakness.

I won't add much more, but genuinely appreciate the work you guys do to provide these breakdowns and this thread is one of the highlights each week on the forums.

Here's your answer: "This is not a true intermediate downfield passing game. Everything with this offense is quick. It's a quick timing passing game," Cosell said. "At it's best, this is a sustaining offense, a methodical offense more than it is a big play offense. Ultimately you're looking to run a lot of plays really fast. Your looking to gain 5, 6, 7, 11 yards — not necessarily 30 and 40. That's not what the offense is."
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!! the Moonnnnnn has COMEBACCKKKKKKKKKKKKK to the FORUMMMMMM !!!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, to the NUMBERS AND NUMBERS AND NUMBERSSSSSSSSS of FANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS who emailed me and loved my GAME DAY DESIGN..

Tho I wasn't expecting them Hawks to SPANK us the way they did, we just really got SHERMANATEDDDDDDDDDDDDD all day longgggg !!!!

it was weird because the minute we were there for warm ups, it looked like we had already lost the game.. The same reason how JOHN ELWAY fired JOHN FOX after the AFC championship game 2 years ago, THERE WERE NO RAHHH RAHHH RAHHH from the team at all..

our DL must really be SOFTER than I have been thinking, but the way Seattle's OL gave way to their no name back, we may as well just not line up ..

OFFENSE - we didnt have any game plan.. Heck, the least we could have done was watch the how the Rams slow them down..

DEFENSE - what I noticed from our secondary is the fact that we have a bunch of athletic DBs but none of them seems to have a HIGH football IQ..
  • thl408

This was his "big" keep of the game and the 49ers played off the power run plays they ran earlier in the game. First play of 2nd half.
Here, Bennett is lined up at his more usual spot, outside of the Tackle. 49ers will pull Beadles to sell Power, hoping to get the LBs flowing strongside.

Red LBs flow strongside. This earns Staley a better angle to block. Bennett gets isolated 1vs2 (Gabbert + Hyde). Bennett crashes down on Hyde.

+10
Originally posted by NCommand:
Here's your answer: "This is not a true intermediate downfield passing game. Everything with this offense is quick. It's a quick timing passing game," Cosell said. "At it's best, this is a sustaining offense, a methodical offense more than it is a big play offense. Ultimately you're looking to run a lot of plays really fast. Your looking to gain 5, 6, 7, 11 yards — not necessarily 30 and 40. That's not what the offense is."

Id have to ask Cosell what offense's are designed to get 30-40 yards a rip? That stuff just happens.

The bolded can be said about our beloved WCO. Also, the part about not getting 30-40 yards ignores the vertical aspect to his offense. This play is a huge part of Chips offense:
Originally posted by Niners816:

Id have to ask Cosell what offense's are designed to get 30-40 yards a rip? That stuff just happens.

The bolded can be said about our beloved WCO. Also, the part about not getting 30-40 yards ignores the vertical aspect to his offense. This play is a huge part of Chips offense:

Which is why these threads (esp. over time) are so important in review. You know I smiled at the bold.
Interesting. I don't expect that play to work often.

For one thing, there is no safety on the left side of the field and he seems (from the gif) to be way to the right side of the field, not even center field. They left our left WR in 1on1 coverage with no help whatsoever (lol, no respect).

There are basically multiple alignment factors that enable Gabbert to pull it off and both the DE and OLB on the left side of the field bite on the fake. They were heavily anticipating a run to the right.

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Kap is a one read QB!!! Derp, derp...
One correct read. Still better than nothing.

LB - we desperately need another playmaker or at least solid LB next to Bow. I feel bad for the guy because his job is 10x harder than it has been in the past. The Seahawks ran at Hodges multiple times and were able to exploit him as well as exploit him in the passing game. Hodges had one of the worst games I've seen from a LB. It was bad. He gave up chunk runs, chunk passes and was at fault numerous times. We also desperately need some more help at OLB. Harold and Carradine are not the answer.
I happened to re-watch the first 2 TD's by the Seahawks and noticed they were keying on Hodges. Sadly, the O-linemen for Seattle would flow to the right and it was like there was something over there attracting him. He would fly to the right side even though the run was a cutback to the left. Completely ignoring his responsibility to stay in that Gap. This guy has done this since Day 1. Bowman can only cover up his mistakes so much. If he can't hang, give Bellore or Shayne Skov an opportunity because that was quite possibly the worst game by a inside LB I've ever seen and that was only a 1/4 of the game! Bowman has to be so frustrated.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

This was his "big" keep of the game and the 49ers played off the power run plays they ran earlier in the game. First play of 2nd half.
Here, Bennett is lined up at his more usual spot, outside of the Tackle. 49ers will pull Beadles to sell Power, hoping to get the LBs flowing strongside.

Red LBs flow strongside. This earns Staley a better angle to block. Bennett gets isolated 1vs2 (Gabbert + Hyde). Bennett crashes down on Hyde.

+10

Old Kap would have turned the corner around that block and taken to the house. I miss fast Kap.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I wonder if we have the receivers to run this system?
Originally posted by SoCold:

+10

Old Kap would have turned the corner around that block and taken to the house. I miss fast Kap.

What a p***y. Could have had 3 or 4 more yards and ran out of bounds but he ends up sliding way before the first down. I think they gave him the first on this one but he started his slide 2 yards before the marker. If he does that in a bigger game, then somebody should punch him.

The more I watch, the more I begin to think that he cares too much about keeping his jersey clean.
Share 49ersWebzone