There are 236 users in the forums

Play-by-play Passing game review

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Bummer for the CK fans too: "Chip Kelly on Kaepernick: "I don't think he's ready to go full-time"

You are not a CK fan?
I am a Niner fan which means I am also a CK fan, it is a shame you are not.

Could you please post Gabbert's completion percentage? All I have is the one that shows up in the box score which you think is not real.

Your problem is you are so QB focused you don't appear to recognize any other component of the game.

Do you have any comment on the design and sequencing of the pass plays that Kelly?Modkins called? Do you disagree with my observation that the majority of the play calls were designed to gain 10 yards or less?

Your problem is that you dislike Kaepernick so much that you will do anything to make excuses for Gabbert's play which has been perhaps the worst of any starter in the NFL this year. Gabbert is the same player he has always been.

Who is fixated on what? I put up a lengthy post that detailed every pass play and all the visible components of those plays with observations about each...and all you can talk about is the play of the QB. You have yet to even acknowledge anything else was said.

Now, as I said above, nothing further from me.
  • thl408
He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

Thanks for this thread. I agree on that play there was nothing Gabbert or Vance could do for RAC. Chancellor was playing off coverage which is the best way to attack a flat route. Watch the throw, take the proper angle, smash the WR. On a route like that, the defender needs to be in a trail position for RAC to take place.
Just as I suspected after reading this same thread after last weeks game. Blame everything on either play design, play call or the receiver running a bad route.

Gabbert must be the greatest 50% completion, 5 ypa passer anyone has ever seen.
  • dj43
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Just as I suspected after reading this same thread after last weeks game. Blame everything on either play design, play call or the receiver running a bad route.

If you actually read the thread, I blamed all three areas at various times and sometimes all at the same time. So I guess you jus take what you want.

"Gabbert didn't have any really horrible passes yesterday"

"The lack of quality receivers may be forcing him to play more timid than we would like."

Gabbert has been consistent for most of his career. He plays timid most of the time when the scores are close.

being down by 20 pts though... shiiiiit there might not be anyone better.
Bummer for the CK fans too: "Chip Kelly on Kaepernick: "I don't think he's ready to go full-time"

You are not a CK fan?
I am a Niner fan which means I am also a CK fan, it is a shame you are not.

Could you please post Gabbert's completion percentage? All I have is the one that shows up in the box score which you think is not real.

Your problem is you are so QB focused you don't appear to recognize any other component of the game.

Do you have any comment on the design and sequencing of the pass plays that Kelly?Modkins called? Do you disagree with my observation that the majority of the play calls were designed to gain 10 yards or less?

Your problem is that you dislike Kaepernick so much that you will do anything to make excuses for Gabbert's play which has been perhaps the worst of any starter in the NFL this year. Gabbert is the same player he has always been.

Who is fixated on what? I put up a lengthy post that detailed every pass play and all the visible components of those plays with observations about each...and all you can talk about is the play of the QB. You have yet to even acknowledge anything else was said.

Now, as I said above, nothing further from me.

Oldman used to do that for Alex, but it was obvious he had a bias in his approach/agenda.

and you've been doing the same...

and the same was being done in the film threads last year.

If it smells like BS, it will be called out... especially when we keep seeing the same garbage s**t, yet someone is telling us differently.

If you actually read the thread, I blamed all three areas at various times and sometimes all at the same time. So I guess you jus take what you want.

I want you to pick one pass play that was clearly Gabbert's fault and be critical of it. I mean you even blamed the RB for Gabbert hitting him in the back of the helmet. That ball needs to be out in front. Your breakdown of the passing plays are really good but your bias is what is frustrating.
I rarely saw a ball that I thought was put int he right spot. Just because a pass is caught it doesn't mean it was a good pass. He needs to put the ball in a place that gives the receivers a better shot at YAC. He put his receivers in poor position on catches a lot yesterday.

What did you think of the WR play?

It is also the case that if the WR is not running the route the QB anticipates, the ball will not appear to be in the best spot.

I don't think the WRs are great but they are not the problem with Gabbert's accuracy. Take that second pass of the day, was that one that was thrown short of Vance that he had to turn back for? He had no chance of making anything of that throw.
Gabbert is not delivering the ball accurately, that is almost all on him.
Are we talking about the same play?

I listened to the first half on the radio with Tim Ryan commenting. He is always on the critical side and he called it a good throw. When I got home I watched the entire game, then watched it again for the summary above, and then just looked at that specific play again after reading your comment. Yes, McD twisted his body back a bit but the ball was there on time, and, Chancellor knocked him out of bounds as soon as he turned back. There was NO CHANCE, NONE whatsoever to make any YAC on that play. It appeared to be a design play to spread the Seahawk defense for upcoming plays.

He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

If that is the way you see it, then I have nothing further.

Me either.
Carry on telling us how great Gabbert has been.

This crap needs to stop. Nowhere anywhere did he say Gabbert has been playing great. Add something other than a box score and it might actually help the discussion.
I don't understand rewatching this one play by play.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't understand rewatching this one play by play.

That man is suffering for our sins.

• thl408
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Oldman used to do that for Alex, but it was obvious he had a bias in his approach/agenda.

and you've been doing the same...

and the same was being done in the film threads last year.

If it smells like BS, it will be called out... especially when we keep seeing the same garbage s**t, yet someone is telling us differently.
Well that certainly is calling me out. What was I doing last year in the film threads that gave you the impression I had a bias/agenda towards Gabbert? I thought I showed his good and bad plays and at no point did I think he was the answer at QB, which means I never spoke glowingly of Gabbert on a whole. Perhaps a play here and there where praise was warranted, but not as a comprehensive review.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
I've never seen so many people make excuses for a 3rd string caliber QB in my life. The entire NFL fanbase knows what we have at QB but you have delusional fans here making excuses for Gabbert. SMH
Originally posted by Kense:
I've never seen so many people make excuses for a 3rd string caliber QB in my life. The entire NFL fanbase knows what we have at QB but you have delusional fans here making excuses for Gabbert. SMH

Well, if that's how you interpret his work, do one yourself...the antithesis of it.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Well, if that's how you interpret his work, do one yourself...the antithesis of it.

Do what myself
Originally posted by Kense:

Count Kelly in as one of the delusionals. He's been saying the same thing the last 2 weeks. It's the offense as a whole, not solely on Gabbert.
Share 49ersWebzone