LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

49ers Week 3 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Set up for failure . Chips system is best utilized in college period . The offence needs the huddle , needs the breather between plays . These kids have huddled up since pee wee for crying out loud . Chip is no offensive genius , there's a reason he wasn't in demand this off season . Only Jed came calling . It was a bad hire and has sentenced us to doom until he departs . I also feel it was the plan all along . The only way you get the cream of the crop play makers outta college is to draft top 10 for consecutive years . Niner fans screamed for improvements so to quiet the masses Jed gave us the bare minimum he could to buy some time and finish low enough to draft top ten for a few years. 2 more drafts with top talent brought aboard and chips gone and we replace him with a real coach who has tons of talent to work with . Does anyone really believe streeter and kurley were brought in to be the answers long term to our offensive woes ..... 2 more drafts , switch coaches and we're playoff bound once again . The truth is out there ....
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Set up for failure . Chips system is best utilized in college period . The offence needs the huddle , needs the breather between plays . These kids have huddled up since pee wee for crying out loud . Chip is no offensive genius , there's a reason he wasn't in demand this off season . Only Jed came calling . It was a bad hire and has sentenced us to doom until he departs . I also feel it was the plan all along . The only way you get the cream of the crop play makers outta college is to draft top 10 for consecutive years . Niner fans screamed for improvements so to quiet the masses Jed gave us the bare minimum he could to buy some time and finish low enough to draft top ten for a few years. 2 more drafts with top talent brought aboard and chips gone and we replace him with a real coach who has tons of talent to work with . Does anyone really believe streeter and kurley were brought in to be the answers long term to our offensive woes ..... 2 more drafts , switch coaches and we're playoff bound once again . The truth is out there ....

That or we suck for another 7 year stretch....
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Preach doc!

Every damn game I watch you hear, "Now that was an excellent (great) design."

Honest question...

When was the last time you heard this said about us?

Agree but sometimes you need talent on offense to make an offense go. There's a reason he's running the ball so much because he has no faith in our QB, put the ball in our playmakers hands ( Hyde) we have no play makers and no QB had to make an offense go.

Yeah, f**k that. You pass every first down the rest of the season and challenge the players to step up. And when they don't you tear into them and try it again.

I don't care what the talent level is - rolling over and playing a 1970s offensive game plan is a losing proposition before even one snap has been played.

Bill Walsh didn't hold back on his pass-to-set-up-the-run strategy in 1979-80 even though his personnel was poor. He just DID IT, and 8-24 over those two seasons be damned. If he had waited until 1981 to install that offensive philosophy they never win that first Super Bowl.

Pretty much.

I'm still saying it's way too premature to be totally s**tting of Chip.

Speaking of Walsh, he started his tenure with the niners 0-7 and it was a progressive build in turning out yardage. His first 3 games yardage wise was 350, 290 and 230....it takes time. Now Walsh is my favorite thing about football, so i don't compare anyone to him. IMO, chip is kinda dicking around with tempo now. I want to see where he is at the halfway point and then see how he finishes out.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Speaking of Walsh, he started his tenure with the niners 0-7 and it was a progressive build in turning out yardage. His first 3 games yardage wise was 350, 290 and 230....it takes time. Now Walsh is my favorite thing about football, so i don't compare anyone to him. IMO, chip is kinda dicking around with tempo now. I want to see where he is at the halfway point and then see how he finishes out.

I agree...he wasn't run run pass in Philly. End of the day the offense chip is running is what his QB can run. Chip tries to call plays to the strength of the team (which is supposed to be running the ball and quick shorter passes for our awesome QB) like I said earlier chip can only polish up a turd so much.

I agree...he wasn't run run pass in Philly. End of the day the offense chip is running is what his QB can run. Chip tries to call plays to the strength of the team (which is supposed to be running the ball and quick shorter passes for our awesome QB) like I said earlier chip can only polish up a turd so much.

I want to see it with other quarterbacks. Blaine just hasn't performed like I hoped he would. If Kap wants to save his career this would be an outstanding time for the light to go on. If not we will see ponder as well. Outside of someone performing much better then their recent history, the QB going forward is not on the roster at this time.

For all of its detractors, chips offense has been a 6000 a year offense without the benefit of a top shelf QB. That's not some small feat.
I want to see it with other quarterbacks. Blaine just hasn't performed like I hoped he would. If Kap wants to save his career this would be an outstanding time for the light to go on. If not we will see ponder as well. Outside of someone performing much better then their recent history, the QB going forward is not on the roster at this time.

For all of its detractors, chips offense has been a 6000 a year offense without the benefit of a top shelf QB. That's not some small feat.

Yup at this point I really don't see how Kap could do worse in this offense.

Agree

Most of us are of the opinion that Gab is definitely NOT the solution.

Give Kap a shot - if he isn't the answer - move on to Ponder.

Keep doing it untill we get our guy.

IMO, none of them are our franchise QB.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree

Yeah I'm fine with it we aren't winning this yr so see who's got a future who doesn't. This off season is the make or break yr for Baalke an Co.
  • dj43

Agree

At some point you can't just keep playing musical chairs. You have to settle down and give the players the chance to become thoroughly familiar with the system and develop the chemistry.

The Seattle game demonstrated we still have receivers that cannot execute a simple rub concept without running into each other. We have receivers that were getting knocked sideways coming off the LOS by Seahawks DBs and never getting into the pattern. We have receivers cutting off routes short of the LTG even though there was no reason to do so. All those things get reflected back adversely on the QB when he throws short of the LTG or gets jittery when he sees a pattern disrupted.

None of this is to take away from the reality that Gabbert is not playing well right now but changing QBs is not going to make receivers run routes well or the tough enough to fight through DB jams. Just hitting the reset button won't fix the issue. All that does is start you over again with all the chemistry and timing issues, along with the hope that a QB with serious reading and accuracy issues in the immediate past will suddenly have overcome them.

Agree

Ponder?

How about give Kap a shot - if he isn't the answer then the guy then "the guy" isn't on the roster.

Originally posted by dj43:
At some point you can't just keep playing musical chairs. You have to settle down and give the players the chance to become thoroughly familiar with the system and develop the chemistry.

The Seattle game demonstrated we still have receivers that cannot execute a simple rub concept without running into each other. We have receivers that were getting knocked sideways coming off the LOS by Seahawks DBs and never getting into the pattern. We have receivers cutting off routes short of the LTG even though there was no reason to do so. All those things get reflected back adversely on the QB when he throws short of the LTG or gets jittery when he sees a pattern disrupted.

None of this is to take away from the reality that Gabbert is not playing well right now but changing QBs is not going to make receivers run routes well or the tough enough to fight through DB jams. Just hitting the reset button won't fix the issue. All that does is start you over again with all the chemistry and timing issues, along with the hope that a QB with serious reading and accuracy issues in the immediate past will suddenly have overcome them.

The the syncing and gelling issues and the wide receiver issues and the running game issues and the coaching issues and Gabbert's issues and schedule/opponent issues have all sort of come together in one mish-mosh of stuff that is making for a deficient offense. It's hard to tell exactly what should clearly be considered Gabbert's issues from the mish-mosh of other issues - all negatively effecting each other making the whole thing worse.

One area that might be fixable right now is the run game. One fix might be not having to face the Panther's and the Hawk's defensive fronts - yikes, those guys are good. I think against more mediocre defensive fronts that with some tweaks of play designs that the run game can make some good strides.

That should help the passing game but the passing game is the mystery box. It's a mess of issues all reinforcing each other (with the extremely welcome exception of the o-line pass blocking). I think, though, that one of those issues is that Gabbert has been burnt by interceptions so much in his career that he is leery of gunning the ball into small windows - I think that's why he sometimes throws skippers. Rather than gunning for that sweet spot that has some risk, he often tries to aim for a low spot where if the receiver doesn't get it, nobody will, and then, a little too often, he misses low (maybe because of mechanics). Beyond that, there still seems to be too much caution in other ways. It's not all the time by any means, but it's like he chooses a less risky option at least a little too often. I get the feeling that in those fleeting moments when he is deciding whether or not to pass to a particular receiver when in a progression that if the window looks tight at all, he tends to move on to the next, often less desirable, read. When he has a single read or a strong indication that there will be a particular receiver-defender matchup, then I think he is more likely to throw with authority into a tighter window. If he can become more aggressive without losing accuracy, then I think he could have a good chance of holding on to the job.
Originally posted by dj43:

Agree

At the end of the day, this just may be our reality. Kaepernick isn't going to get to 225 anytime soon and who knows if he's even studying and really hitting the books and motivated/focused (obviously). It could be months before he's even ready but who knows. I said from day one that we're most likely going to see Kaepernick as this is an evaluation year anyhow and Kelly/Baalke need answers this year.
Chip just ran another read option or zone read just now.
Share 49ersWebzone