There are 166 users in the forums

What are the long term ramifications if we continue to implode this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't see a quarterback in the draft, so I don't know, a pass rusher? Maybe a wide receiver?
No way Chip is fired after one season. York won't pay two coaches for not being here. And if Trent is relieved of his duties, paying for two GMs as well.

So barring a miracle, the suckage continues
[ Edited by 49erfaninPA on Sep 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM ]
Niners hire Chip Kelly knowing what kind of offense he runs but yet refuse to get him any talent
Denise appoints someone to run the team. Basically firing Jed.

Or.... she sells the team to that Oracle guy, which I'm hoping and praying for.
Are we sure baalke will be fired? I hope he does but it seems like he's the Jeff Fisher of GMS. And even if he did is Gamble really the best guy to take his place? Not sure about that guy.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Are we sure baalke will be fired? I hope he does but it seems like he's the Jeff Fisher of GMS. And even if he did is Gamble really the best guy to take his place? Not sure about that guy.

If Gamble is more in-tune with Chip's offensive philosophy, I wouldn't be opposed to that move. I'm puzzled why we didn't do more to revamp the offensive personnel after bringing in a new scheme. The talent was barren to begin with, Kelly is a good offensive coach but he's not a miracle worker. They get some credit for an improved o-line, but the skill positions are brutal.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Denise appoints someone to run the team. Basically firing Jed.

Or.... she sells the team to that Oracle guy, which I'm hoping and praying for.

Joe Lacob actually cares about winning. He doesn't just say he cares and then goes back to counting his bills. He happily pays the luxury tax in order for the current roster to be one of the best ever assembled.

I want a guy like that to own the 49ers so badly . He's basically the Eddie DeBartolo Jr. of the 2010's.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Sep 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
We've had three different coaches the last three years. Right or wrong I think Kelly will be here for at least three years, but It could be Gamble/Kelly for the last two.

Kelly will be here for awhile, they aren't cutting ties with him. This was a team that most expected realistically to win 5 or 6 games. I'd say they are pretty much on schedule right now. They went to Carolina and Seattle and ran into a buzzsaw. The two main areas where they are lacking are QB and pass rush. Sorting those out will have a huge impact on the team as a whole but it won't be easy. Hopefully they are in range to take one of the top QB prospects next draft.
Originally posted by oregonniner:
I don't see a quarterback in the draft, so I don't know, a pass rusher? Maybe a wide receiver?

Try opening your eyes.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Kelly will be here for awhile, they aren't cutting ties with him. This was a team that most expected realistically to win 5 or 6 games. I'd say they are pretty much on schedule right now. They went to Carolina and Seattle and ran into a buzzsaw. The two main areas where they are lacking are QB and pass rush. Sorting those out will have a huge impact on the team as a whole but it won't be easy. Hopefully they are in range to take one of the top QB prospects next draft.

Lackluster play is on the coaching staff. I know we aren't as talented as Carolina or Seattle but I don't expect the team to just give up and play soft.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:
We've had three different coaches the last three years. Right or wrong I think Kelly will be here for at least three years, but It could be Gamble/Kelly for the last two.

Agreed.

A lot of people want Kelly fired today but I really don't want to turn into the Browns. Firing your coach every year, hiring a new one, fail again, rinse and repeat. That doesn't work. I agreed with getting rid of Tomsula because he clearly wasn't capable of a HC position. But we need to give a coach like Kelly some time. Meanwhile let's try something different. Instead of firing our coach, let's address the QB position and pass rush as you mentioned. If that doesn't work, perhaps do what Buffalo did and make a coordinator change. If things still aren't going right, then the guy who needs to go is Trent Baalke, since he's responsible for addressing talent. If all of the aforementioned has happened and we're still failing, THEN it's Kelly's turn to get the boot.

Kelly's job security should be much higher than Tomsula's. Give him at least two complete seasons before dumping him.
Originally posted by jcs:
Lackluster play is on the coaching staff. I know we aren't as talented as Carolina or Seattle but I don't expect the team to just give up and play soft.

They were within 7 of Carolina in the 4th quarter. They kept it close up until the end but they were simply outgunned. I only saw the second half of this game, I'll have to go back and watch the rest but it seems that Seattle just had their number. Its always a tough place to play and even tougher when you don't have a quarterback and are lacking in pass rush, especially from your OLB's.
Originally posted by jcs:

They were within 7 of Carolina in the 4th quarter. They kept it close up until the end but they were simply outgunned. I only saw the second half of this game, I'll have to go back and watch the rest but it seems that Seattle just had their number. Its always a tough place to play and even tougher when you don't have a quarterback and are lacking in pass rush, especially from your OLB's.

I couldn't watch the game but from what I followed on my sports app and this message board, the first drive was ugly. Literally a magical bomb by Wilson and then a 40-yard TD run by Michael. I knew it was going to be a long day after that.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Agreed.

A lot of people want Kelly fired today but I really don't want to turn into the Browns. Firing your coach every year, hiring a new one, fail again, rinse and repeat. That doesn't work. I agreed with getting rid of Tomsula because he clearly wasn't capable of a HC position. But we need to give a coach like Kelly some time. Meanwhile let's try something different. Instead of firing our coach, let's address the QB position and pass rush as you mentioned. If that doesn't work, perhaps do what Buffalo did and make a coordinator change. If things still aren't going right, then the guy who needs to go is Trent Baalke, since he's responsible for addressing talent. If all of the aforementioned has happened and we're still failing, THEN it's Kelly's turn to get the boot.

Kelly's job security should be much higher than Tomsula's. Give him at least two complete seasons before dumping him.

You absolutely can't just change head coaches over and over and over again. Kelly needs time to show that he can or can't make it work and he needs a QB that fits his offense and can consistently throw with accuracy to all levels. Its really hard to evaluate the offense when your QB is best served being a backup. They don't have a quarterback and they are lacking in pass rush, especially with Lynch out. The next offseason has to be focused on addressing both those areas. Dump the QB's on this roster, draft a potential QBOTF, bring in a solid veteran that can be a more consistent performer to hold down the reins for awhile, focus on adding pass rush help, trade up if needed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 25, 2016 at 7:10 PM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Im 26 years old and besides the Harbaugh years all I can really remember is all the bad years fml

As a kid I lived through the really DARK mid/late 70s nightmare...not there yet but getting closer.
Yeah, I don't think it can get any worse than the Joe Thomas era. We went 2-14 and they finally brought in Walsh and John McVay and we went 2-14 again. Then we went 6-10, then 10-6 and a Super Bowl. And the days were filled with optimism each year. I would really like a run like that one again. We might get lucky here. At the end of this season we will see what sort of personnel moves are made on the roster and in the front office. That will pretty much indicate which direction we're taking. Either mediocrity or a move to the top.
[ Edited by eastie on Sep 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone