There are 158 users in the forums

2016 Week 2 Carolina Panthers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hyde acknowledged that he was impatient in the Panthers game and that he need to be more patient in letting his blocks develop. I think Hyde will be fine so long as he learns to be more patient. Gore was great at being patient and letting his blocks develop. Hopefully Hyde gets to that level.
Excellent posts jonnydel and thl. Really puts the game in clearer perspective.

I was encouraged by a few things in the game. Namely the fact we kept fighting and at one point pulled within 7 with 7:30 left in the game. Team has grit, and on a short week against a well rested NFC champion, not a terrible performance.

Gabbert continues to be way too erratic. He's very frustrating to watch, even more than Kap at times. He can pass the eye test, look smooth in the pocket going through his read......and then the throw happens. Off target or rushes the throw without setting his base or waiting for the routes to develop. He plays fast and scared, and I don't know how you coach it out of him. His time at Jacksonville did him no favors in terms of development, but it's also important to note he had these issues in college as well. They've only been magnified and exploited by defenses at the pro level. His inability to make throws on the boundaries is a big problem. I don't know how you can win consistently in the pass game without being able to throw guys open on the outside against 1 v 1 coverage.

Hyde is a phenomenal talent and our best skill position player on offense. Still, he's too eager to bounce things to the outside when sometimes the best thing to do is lower your hat and grind out a few yards, Gore-style. He's going against some talented fronts the first few weeks, so I'm not surprised he's been bottled up a little bit. Still feel like he's left a few yards out on the field.

Most exciting development of the season so far has been the play of the o-line, particularly in pass protection. I've been very impressed in that regard. The run game has been a mixed bag. There are a few instances of whiffed blocks or guys getting physically beat, especially on the interior, but nowhere near the train wreck that was last season.

Defensively, I'm excited about what this defense can become as they gel in O'Neil's scheme. It's a good scheme, and I like that he's trying to implement an exotic pattern match scheme a la Fangio. With this implementation comes some growing pains, just like in 2011 when we gave up some big pass plays early in the year before they started to gel. Only issue we won't be able to overcome this year is the edge rush. We need a dynamic player to take this defense to the next level, and it won't happen until we find one in the draft. Lynch coming back in Week 5 will help a great deal, but we still need that true double digit sack threat on the opposite side of him.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats not a throw I expect gabbert to make thats just above his skill level. imo

Yea that s**t would've been picked off
Awesome post.it's nice to see some positive feed back. It gets frustrating as a 9er fan to here the constant slamming of the 9ers by the media lol. Even were I live in Jacksonville the radio people here scoff at the 9ers. I mean come on really? The jags? Lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats not a throw I expect gabbert to make thats just above his skill level. imo

Yea that s**t would've been picked off

Yeah especially with the way he throws nothing but bullet passes. Only time I seem him throw a touch pass was the one McDonald dropped over the middle, probably his best pass this year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Successful scrambling also requires a different type of awareness. For example in this case, why scramble to the side that appears to be blanketed? He has a lane between Staley and Beadles to see if he can find something on the left side by scrambling. Wilson is so crafty at scrambling that he always seems to scramble to a correct side.

I think this was a 3rd & goal. Gabbert scrambling to throw the ball. He has a RB, and 2 WR to the right, and Patton going to the right in the back of the end zone( I assumed he's moving to to the right and not sit somewhere in the end zone) to make something happened. He only had a TE if he goes to his left.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 20, 2016 at 1:14 PM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
Hyde acknowledged that he was impatient in the Panthers game and that he need to be more patient in letting his blocks develop. I think Hyde will be fine so long as he learns to be more patient. Gore was great at being patient and letting his blocks develop. Hopefully Hyde gets to that level.

It's also really hard to run the ball against an elite defensive line that's stacking the box daring your terrible QB to beat them through the air.
Wow. Never read so many excuses for Gabbert. He was hurried only 5 times in 2 straight games. Sacked only twice!

How can anyone call him inconsistent in this day and age?

When has he ever shown anything other than sub par game play?

He has never even won 2 games in a row. I would say he's the absolute definition of consistent.....consistently below average.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
It's also really hard to run the ball against an elite defensive line that's stacking the box daring your terrible QB to beat them through the air.

Doesn't seem like they stacking the box so much as they were "cheating", or keeping their eyes in the backfield. They could do that as a zone coverage defense with great speed. Jonnydel noted Carolina mostly played with 7 in the box, and thl pointed out they would often cheat with an extra defender playing in between the box and the slot.

I agree with your conclusion though, that this is a sign of disrespect for the passing game.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Doesn't seem like they stacking the box so much as they were "cheating", or keeping their eyes in the backfield. They could do that as a zone coverage defense with great speed. Jonnydel noted Carolina mostly played with 7 in the box, and thl pointed out they would often cheat with an extra defender playing in between the box and the slot.

I agree with your conclusion though, that this is a sign of disrespect for the passing game.

I agree, It wasn't a traditional stack of nine men up at the line but it was enough for them to gain a huge advantage on almost every single running play. Hyde didn't have much to work with on Sunday.

I got 2 ..? ...is the run game lacking cause there is no fullback ?
Why are our tight ends more downfield than wr ?
Originally posted by awp8912:
Wow. Never read so many excuses for Gabbert. He was hurried only 5 times in 2 straight games. Sacked only twice!

How can anyone call him inconsistent in this day and age?

When has he ever shown anything other than sub par game play?

He has never even won 2 games in a row. I would say he's the absolute definition of consistent.....consistently below average.

lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Excellent posts jonnydel and thl. Really puts the game in clearer perspective.

I was encouraged by a few things in the game. Namely the fact we kept fighting and at one point pulled within 7 with 7:30 left in the game. Team has grit, and on a short week against a well rested NFC champion, not a terrible performance.

Gabbert continues to be way too erratic. He's very frustrating to watch, even more than Kap at times. He can pass the eye test, look smooth in the pocket going through his read......and then the throw happens. Off target or rushes the throw without setting his base or waiting for the routes to develop. He plays fast and scared, and I don't know how you coach it out of him. His time at Jacksonville did him no favors in terms of development, but it's also important to note he had these issues in college as well. They've only been magnified and exploited by defenses at the pro level. His inability to make throws on the boundaries is a big problem. I don't know how you can win consistently in the pass game without being able to throw guys open on the outside against 1 v 1 coverage.

Hyde is a phenomenal talent and our best skill position player on offense. Still, he's too eager to bounce things to the outside when sometimes the best thing to do is lower your hat and grind out a few yards, Gore-style. He's going against some talented fronts the first few weeks, so I'm not surprised he's been bottled up a little bit. Still feel like he's left a few yards out on the field.

Most exciting development of the season so far has been the play of the o-line, particularly in pass protection. I've been very impressed in that regard. The run game has been a mixed bag. There are a few instances of whiffed blocks or guys getting physically beat, especially on the interior, but nowhere near the train wreck that was last season.

Defensively, I'm excited about what this defense can become as they gel in O'Neil's scheme. It's a good scheme, and I like that he's trying to implement an exotic pattern match scheme a la Fangio. With this implementation comes some growing pains, just like in 2011 when we gave up some big pass plays early in the year before they started to gel. Only issue we won't be able to overcome this year is the edge rush. We need a dynamic player to take this defense to the next level, and it won't happen until we find one in the draft. Lynch coming back in Week 5 will help a great deal, but we still need that true double digit sack threat on the opposite side of him.

"even more than Kap at times"
Originally posted by Jcool:
"even more than Kap at times"

deal with it
Here's an example of how Carolina plays our run game - this was the play where Hyde fumbled and also highlights how there really wasn't a read for Gabbert to keep it - so y'all, please stop with the, "If CK was in there our read-option would work...."

What's frustrating is how they defeat our run game with only 6 guys, really, in the box.

Here is one of the biggest plays of the game - this totally shifts the dynamic of the game and we never really recover. It's Hyde's fumble. We come out in "11" personnel with 3 WR's 1 TE and 1RB. This spreads out the Panthers D and only leaves 6 guys in the box. This should work out perfectly for Chip's run game. Including the QB, we have an 8v6 advantage.

Well, my writing on this pic got covered up somehow...nm. But, you see the 6 man front and how this zone-read should be blocked. We should be just fine with hat on hat blocking and then it's your RB 1v1 in open space, yay.

At the snap the unblocked DE takes an upfield angle which means the zone-read is to the RB. Tiller and Kilgore combo on #98 and then Kilgore moves to pick up Keuchly. Though, #98 proves a handful. Brown moves to the other LB #58.

#98 does a great job of handling Tiller and driving him into the mesh point. Celek should read the DE and see that he's now coming down onto the RB handoff and should block this guy.....but alas.....

Celek runs right past the DE...to block grass.....wait...what?? #58 does a great job of handling Brown's block, disengages and moves to fill the hole. 98 and Keuchly also do a great job of stuffing the playside of the run

Well, for some reason TP is letting me upload any more photos onto this post. But, the DE crashes down and causes the fumble from Hyde while Celek runs like a deer into a field of lillies. On those split zone blocks he has to read the DE like the QB does. If that guy plays QB run first, then he has to block him out and allow for a cutback lane. The Panthers did a great job with their playside guys crunching down and forcing a cutback from Hyde. Celek has to clean those things up.
Share 49ersWebzone