LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

49ers Week 2 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bethea was a complete discrace on that Td to Olsen. F- this was the play of the game for me.

Tartt needs to be starting or I actually wish Ward was playing Betheas position and we had a legit CB to play in place of ward and keep tartt in his big nickel role.
I think what hurt Joshua Garnett was that he attends a school on the quarter system, and by NFL rules, he couldn't attend the June workouts. Same thing with Armstead a year ago.
Originally posted by thl408:
Good takes as usual. Agree with your thoughts on how Gabbert was average to bad on most some throws save for a couple very nice throws. I think you are a bit harsh on Gabbert and how he messed up the running game with his choices to handoff. You mentioned the two plays to Draughn. Gabbert had no room to run up the middle which is where the QB is supposed to run on these two plays since it's the DT that is being read. On the first Draughn run, Short knocks Kilgore off balance and blows the entire thing up. Gabbert keeping the ball would have made no difference with two LBs waiting for him.

On the second Draughn run, I have no idea why Beadles blocked the defender in front of him because he was not supposed to - that was the read defender. Had Gabbert kept the ball he had an unblocked LB waiting for him in the hole.

I don't know about those runs thl but there were runs where immediately at the handoff the linebackers were keying in on Hyde and if Gabbert keeps it and takes off to the outside a bit then there was room to run.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 19, 2016 at 11:33 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well that was predictable.

1) Gabbert: ...................................

Where do I start? I have to start by giving it up for when he does something well. The TD to Torrey was nice. The first down throw to Streater just before it was nice. The TD to Vance was nice even though Vance did most of the work. The drop by Vance was also a fairly nice throw even though it would have been a difficult catch.

The rest was average to pretty bad.

Gabbert is hurting them with inaccuracy, rushing through his progressions and not letting plays develop, and what REALLY stood out to me is that he's even killing the run game.

The read option only works if the QB is an actual threat to run the ball. There were AT LEAST 4-5 times that he handed off when he had space in front of him to run if he'd held the ball. In most of those cases the handoff to the RB was blown up for a loss or no gain. The first one was the run in which Draughn lost 5 yards on their first possession of the game. Huge hole for the QB to run. It happened AGAIN on Draughns SECOND run of the game. It happened AGAIN with several Hyde runs. It also happened on his TD run where he went in untouched. It looked good, didn't it? Well that run had been there ALL DAY because they knew if the LB just stood anywhere close to that hole, the QB was handing off. That (amongst other things) IMO KILLED the run game.

What looked really clear to me though was that Chips scheme was working. The plays were there to be made. Gabbert had time (more on that later) and guys were open. Gabbert simply couldn't deliver the ball.

Gabbert isn't the guy. Plain and simple. I dunno that Kap is but I'd like to see what he can do. Reality tho IMO is that the earliest we would see Kap without a Gabbert injury is week 5. Dunno why, but thats my guess.
Thank you for your work. I know how much time it takes to go back through an entire game and make notes. FWIW, I spent over three hours last night just looking at 49er offense, specifically passing plays. (see thread)

I was not feeling very good about the passing offense until I went back and detailed each play. Having done that, I believe Gabbert played a much better game than you suggest here.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
1) and that is Gabbert's fault because???
2) and that is Gabbert's fault because ???

I agree that Gabbert has to be more consistent with his accuracy, especially on those quick throws to the sideline, which have been terrible, but I thought he ran the offense pretty well in the first half. As I noted in another post he was hurt by some drops, especially the one by MacDonald which I don't think was a tough catch at all. If MacDonald makes that catch he has a chance to score or at least pick up some good yardage. Instead the drop leads them to another third and long where Gabbert has to try and get it beyond the sticks and ends up being picked.

The second pick didn't bother me either as the game was already lost at the point and Gabbert was just trying to make a play. Not saying he played great by any means but he's helped the team put up 27.5 points a game which is certainly an improvement over last year.

Agree that the pass protection has been outstanding. Running game needs to be more consistent though but they were up against a pretty darn good defense so I will continue to take a wait and see attitude on that. Would have to rewatch the game to see your points about Gabbert missing out on some available yards but I certainly don't think it has to do with a lack of willingness on his part. I seem to recall Kelly saying last week that he didn't want his QB to take so many hits when he was running which may have factored into some of those decisions.

Defense got torched but again, there is a reason Carolina went 15-1 last year, or was it 14-2, I can't remember, and with Kelvin Benjamin back they are going to be even a tougher out. The lack of a pass rush still seems to be the biggest problem for the Niners. I really thought they would be better at it this year. Maybe when Lynch comes back.

Have a tough game against Seattle at the Link but Russell is hobbling and Rawls looks like he's going to be out but they should be competitive against Dallas. If they come out of this stretch at 2-2 I think that would be a pretty good result.

It's not his fault. It just shows that apart from 1 single chunk play, he couldn't score unless he was in extremely good field position. It started with the rams game. People point to the score board and say "SEE HE PUT UP 20+ POINTS", without acknowledging the flaws
The pass protection yesterday was nothing short of phenomenal.

Nothing short.

Gabbert pissed the bed. Won't say he s**t it...but he definitely pissed it.
You see positives and negatives with team and both really jump out so they aren't just small goods and bads. The O-line is decent but even there, there are questions. Why do we even put up with Davis and his multiple personalities? Why did we move up and draft a lineman in the first round who we don't really have a spot for and won't play even when we need to? I won't even mention QB or WR. That would just be beating a dead horse. McDonald is the second coming of VD. Can be really great on plays but otherwise can't catch a cold. We're missing 1-2 decent wide receivers. Is Riley Cooper on a roster? He knows the system and I'd love him on the team with Kap.

The defense is young but we have players. There are going to be good and bad games. Yesterday had more than its share of mental lapses.

Yesterday's game was typical of what the 49ers are as a team. They hung in there for a while but the talent gap eventually caught up to them. They are what they are. Young, inexperienced and devoid of talent in spots that matter. We can be happy that they were able to hang as long as they did with what we have. I'm encouraged by Chip and his staff but he needs more than knives in a gun fight with a top tier team.

I'm looking forward to how they respond this week. You know Seattle will be angry and will like kicking us around. If we could beat them, it would go a long way with team morale. If we lose, it will really start testing this team.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Bethea was a complete discrace on that Td to Olsen. F- this was the play of the game for me.

Tartt needs to be starting or I actually wish Ward was playing Betheas position and we had a legit CB to play in place of ward and keep tartt in his big nickel role.

I agree. I just think he is wasting our time and Tartt's reps. Id rather see Tartt and Cromartie out there than Bethea.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Gabby keeping it wouldn't have made a diff, carolina was playing so close to the LOS against our zero threat predictable play calling they would've tackled gabby if he kept it pretty fast.

the real issue is chip's scheme..it's the same nonsense from philadelphia, its been figured out and he's still doing the exact same things, i really thought he'd change something here in act 2 but so far its the same nonsense which leads to an amazing amount of 3 and outs cuz it's diagnosed pre-snap

Bingo!!!
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

I agree. I just think he is wasting our time and Tartt's reps. Id rather see Tartt and Cromartie out there than Bethea.

I'd like to see Ward at FS...Reid at SS...Tartt as the 3rd

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

Bethea was beat by 15 yards by a TE. Sigh. Tartt needs to be in on passing downs over Bethea.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Gabby keeping it wouldn't have made a diff, carolina was playing so close to the LOS against our zero threat predictable play calling they would've tackled gabby if he kept it pretty fast.

the real issue is chip's scheme..it's the same nonsense from philadelphia, its been figured out and he's still doing the exact same things, i really thought he'd change something here in act 2 but so far its the same nonsense which leads to an amazing amount of 3 and outs cuz it's diagnosed pre-snap

Bingo!!!

You got O 74 too?
Chip called a good game. Gabbert blew it. No sense in trying to explain that away.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
1) and that is Gabbert's fault because???
2) and that is Gabbert's fault because ???

I agree that Gabbert has to be more consistent with his accuracy, especially on those quick throws to the sideline, which have been terrible, but I thought he ran the offense pretty well in the first half. As I noted in another post he was hurt by some drops, especially the one by MacDonald which I don't think was a tough catch at all. If MacDonald makes that catch he has a chance to score or at least pick up some good yardage. Instead the drop leads them to another third and long where Gabbert has to try and get it beyond the sticks and ends up being picked.

The second pick didn't bother me either as the game was already lost at the point and Gabbert was just trying to make a play. Not saying he played great by any means but he's helped the team put up 27.5 points a game which is certainly an improvement over last year.

Agree that the pass protection has been outstanding. Running game needs to be more consistent though but they were up against a pretty darn good defense so I will continue to take a wait and see attitude on that. Would have to rewatch the game to see your points about Gabbert missing out on some available yards but I certainly don't think it has to do with a lack of willingness on his part. I seem to recall Kelly saying last week that he didn't want his QB to take so many hits when he was running which may have factored into some of those decisions.

Defense got torched but again, there is a reason Carolina went 15-1 last year, or was it 14-2, I can't remember, and with Kelvin Benjamin back they are going to be even a tougher out. The lack of a pass rush still seems to be the biggest problem for the Niners. I really thought they would be better at it this year. Maybe when Lynch comes back.

Have a tough game against Seattle at the Link but Russell is hobbling and Rawls looks like he's going to be out but they should be competitive against Dallas. If they come out of this stretch at 2-2 I think that would be a pretty good result.

It's not his fault. It just shows that apart from 1 single chunk play, he couldn't score unless he was in extremely good field position. It started with the rams game. People point to the score board and say "SEE HE PUT UP 20+ POINTS", without acknowledging the flaws

All you can do is play the game your given. He's gotten a short field on a few occasions and turned them into points. He has had some long scoring drives this year as well. To say he can't score unless given good field position simply isn't accurate. Can he be better? Absolutely but given that they were playing the NFC Champs in 100 degree weather on a short week in a game that no one expected them to win they managed to hang in there until the last 8 minutes of the game, which was not a terrible showing in my opinion. Be interesting to see what happens in Seattle next week.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article102654347.html

another team in a long line of teams over the last 2yrs stating the chipper's offense is figured out (including by us under fangio)

"He's so smart he's able to make us go through our true reads (in practice). He's not going to just look a guy down. He's going to look (a defensive back) off and then come back to that read. He really makes you play the whole defense."

Coleman agreed with Davis that the scout-team's performance in practice was very comparable to what the 49ers actually did Sunday.

"It felt very comparable. The scout team guys push us to the limit," Coleman said. "What they want to do for us is make this game a lot slower. (The 49ers) were getting to the line fast, but not snapping the ball as fast as we expected. That gave us time to regroup and see what they were doing. But we were ready for whatever tempo they wanted to go through."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article102654347.html#storylink=cpy
Share 49ersWebzone