LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

QB or WR-which is a bigger priority for the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB or WR-which is a bigger priority for the 49ers?

This is something that has been discussed for awhile on these forums so I decided to make a poll and have a thread for whether the team, say they have a Top 10 pick in the draft, should prioritize drafting a QB or WR, with both being fairly equal prospects.

My position has always been that the right QB can make everyone better on the offense. The threat of the pass doesn't allow the defense to stack the box, proper accuracy and ball placement allows even average or lesser receivers to make plays and being decisive and consistently getting the ball out quickly helps make the OL look better than it actually is. I think especially in a passing league, having the right QB is of crucial importance, especially with defenses running so many looks nowadays, you want someone confident, that can decipher what a defense is doing and can constantly attack the weak spots in that defense, someone that opposing fans and coaches alike have to worry about.

I've just never been on board with the emphasis on WR's. You need WR talent, and this team needs upgrades in that area but teams like Pittsburgh having the right offensive scheme and the right quarterback have consistently done well taking later round wide receivers. But ultimately to me the QB is the biggest determinant of success along with the quality of a defense. This team hasn't had any consistent QB play going back over 12 years. They've had effective receivers such as Crabtree, Boldin and Vernon Davis but continually lacked in that true franchise quarterback and with Kelly's offense, finding the right guy that he can coach up, that can help push the offense to reach its full potential would be a sight to see.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 19, 2016 at 10:13 AM ]
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
QB. I want a consistent QB.
QB easily.
QB first everything else second
Shouldn't even be a debate. QB all day.
QB easily!!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
QB. We're scoring 27.5 a game with Gabbert. With a top potent this offense would be. A top 5 QB could get Torrey Smith the ball and make our WRs look waaaay better.

Its much harder to find a qb which is why it pisses me off that we havent been able to draft at least 1 elite WR for a decade plus. We dont have anybody to help make Gabberts life easier. Imagine if we had a Kelvin Benjamin who can just go up and catch whatever trash is thrown his way. It'd be nice to have a guy you can count on who could help make thw qbs life easier.

Overall tho QB is more important.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The fact that baalke did not address the QB position in the first 3 rounds just speaks to his level of consistent incompetency.
For this team, the two - actually three - crucial pieces they need are: Starting-caliber QB first and then a playmaking, true #1 WR along with a consistent pass rusher that other teams always have to gameplan against (like teams have to against Von Miller - look what he did to Carolina in Week 1 and in last year's SB). Those are three big pieces...the good news is I believe the talent is there at the other positions and if you factor in the Salary Cap $ they have along with another good draft + continued good coaching and this team could be right back in the thick of things.
Originally posted by susweel:
The fact that baalke did not address the QB position in the first 3 rounds just speaks to his level of consistent incompetency.

Wasn't a particularly strong QB class. Dak has been a little bit of a surprise other than that what QB should he have taken in the first 3 rounds.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by susweel:

Wasn't a particularly strong QB class. Dak has been a little bit of a surprise other than that what QB should he have taken in the first 3 rounds.

Its still early but the fact we have no developmental prospect is concerning.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Antix:
QB. We're scoring 27.5 a game with Gabbert. With a top potent this offense would be. A top 5 QB could get Torrey Smith the ball and make our WRs look waaaay better.

Its much harder to find a qb which is why it pisses me off that we havent been able to draft at least 1 elite WR for a decade plus. We dont have anybody to help make Gabberts life easier. Imagine if we had a Kelvin Benjamin who can just go up and catch whatever trash is thrown his way. It'd be nice to have a guy you can count on who could help make thw qbs life easier.

Overall tho QB is more important.

I agree QB is the most important single position on any team.

I would also assert that Torrey Smith is way over-rated on this board. He was a #2 at Baltimore and was effective because there were other potent receivers that allowed his narrow role to be effective. On the 49ers, he is almost wasted because teams double him due to lack of any other effective receiver.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
LAUGH NOW

to those who were laughing when I wanted us to sign or trade for SAM "BOWIE" BRADFORD !!

WRs are only as good as the QBs... so we can sign ODELL, BROWN, MEGATRON, DEZ.. and if we have a mediocre for a QB, it'll just be a waste.
Qb or olb (need a finisher badly)
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is something that has been discussed for awhile on these forums so I decided to make a poll and have a thread for whether the team, say they have a Top 10 pick in the draft, should prioritize drafting a QB or WR, with both being fairly equal prospects.

My position has always been that the right QB can make everyone better on the offense. The threat of the pass doesn't allow the defense to stack the box, proper accuracy and ball placement allows even average or lesser receivers to make plays and being decisive and consistently getting the ball out quickly helps make the OL look better than it actually is. I think especially in a passing league, having the right QB is of crucial importance, especially with defenses running so many looks nowadays, you want someone confident, that can decipher what a defense is doing and can constantly attack the weak spots in that defense, someone that opposing fans and coaches alike have to worry about.

I've just never been on board with the emphasis on WR's. You need WR talent, and this team needs upgrades in that area but teams like Pittsburgh having the right offensive scheme and the right quarterback have consistently done well taking later round wide receivers. But ultimately to me the QB is the biggest determinant of success along with the quality of a defense. This team hasn't had any consistent QB play going back over 12 years. They've had effective receivers such as Crabtree, Boldin and Vernon Davis but continually lacked in that true franchise quarterback and with Kelly's offense, finding the right guy that he can coach up, that can help push the offense to reach its full potential would be a sight to see.

Qb's are obviously more important than WR's but the 49ers need playmakers in any position they can find on the offense. If its a bad QB year then take a WR or a RB.
Share 49ersWebzone