There are 189 users in the forums

Passing game - play by play v Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Really nice perspectives. And two important pieces. We forget Kelly is learning on the fly as well. I'm proud that he realized he should have been spreading Carolina out and calling pass plays on first downs to combat the stacked box and run blitzing. And Gabbert corrected his back/plant foot mechanics from last game. We have new WRs.

It's going to take half a year for it to come together and playing three of the best defenses early is only going to magnify our early offensive issues.

Just keep scoring in the RZ!

always so positive I don't think he corrected his foot mechanics, but I do like what chip is doing.

Go review his footwork in the Ram game and then Carolina. There is a marked difference. Others have seen it and commented on it.

It is OK to have doubts but give the guy credit when it is due. Being a Negative Nancy all the time is only going to give you heart burn.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Really nice perspectives. And two important pieces. We forget Kelly is learning on the fly as well. I'm proud that he realized he should have been spreading Carolina out and calling pass plays on first downs to combat the stacked box and run blitzing. And Gabbert corrected his back/plant foot mechanics from last game. We have new WRs.

It's going to take half a year for it to come together and playing three of the best defenses early is only going to magnify our early offensive issues.

Just keep scoring in the RZ!

always so positive I don't think he corrected his foot mechanics, but I do like what chip is doing.

Go review his footwork in the Ram game and then Carolina. There is a marked difference. Others have seen it and commented on it.

It is OK to have doubts but give the guy credit when it is due. Being a Negative Nancy all the time is only going to give you heart burn.

Trusted the OL more in the second game.
After Sunday's game Gabbert ranks 33rd in completion percentage, 36th in yards per completion and 33rd in rating.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
After Sunday's game Gabbert ranks 33rd in completion percentage, 36th in yards per completion and 33rd in rating.

Defenses: Note: CAR is ranked #7 and they made Siemian put up mediocre stats on the road which were worse than Gabbert's stats. And Siemian has better WR's.
Denver is ranked #6: Andrew Luck and Cam Newton played like crap vs DEN.
MIN is ranked #5: Made Aaron Rodgers look mediocre. Mariotta did decent but that game was in TEN.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by dj43:
Height is not the only reason a "tall" receiver is important. The most important thing is the "catching radius." A 6' guy with long arms or excellent agility may have a larger catching radius than a guy 6'3" without those things.

Michael Crabtree is 6'1" but has long arms, good agility, leaps and attacks the ball. Hence, he plays with a large catching radius which really helps his QB. If you saw the Atl game you say him help Carr on three occasions because of those attributes. He has told Carr to "put it in my area and I will go get it." That is what is needed on this team.

Agree with you. Plus he has huge hands which helps and from my judgement a natural pass catcher. By that I mean he generally keeps his thumbs together when going for the ball. Rare are the times when your pinkies should be together ie. ball thrown below your waist etc. As opposed to McDonald who doesn't seem to me like a natural at all.
And bigger is always better, at least so I'm told.

Nice observations on MC.

This is an area where having Boldin and Crabtree would be a great help. Both of those guys really attack the ball and make plays for their QB. Boldin is perhaps the best in recent years in that regard. Though he has lost a step or two, if the ball is in his area, he will go get it. He is not only strong, it is an attitude that becomes infectious. We need that now.

By comparison, Kerley is just not strong enough to do that. Patton should be more able to attack the ball because he is bigger, however, in 2 or 3 situations that I have observed he waited for the ball to reach him instead of going to the ball. These are things that can be taught, but again, it is going to take time, training and reps. As those things improve, along with Gabbert's stuff, I expect better results.
Share 49ersWebzone