LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Week 1 2016 Rams Game coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How much separation are the WR's getting?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Blaine seems like a headcase and I really hope he can snap out of it. We've seen Kap under pressure--magical. Maybe he just needs to get comfortable with the system. I'll let him do that before I criticize him too much.

a headcase. that is just so off the wall to me.. when was the last time we saw magic under ck? ck is not hte ck of 2012 for gods sake and who knows if he will ever get back to that. if you want to go down that road. ck could be more of a headcase than blaine ever could be. blaine did some things poorly the other night but jesus christ. he is the first quarterback in forever to lead us to four touchdowns in four tries in the red zone. oh i give up
Here's another busted coverage. It's hard to say who this actually falls on, from what I know of defenses, I think Bethea misses a shift in the strong side and it confuses the coverage.

to start out the play, the Rams will come out with 2 TE and line one up as a FB in a straight "I" formation. This gives a strong side to the left look. You see Buckner indicating this and Brooks runs over to that side. Bethea is the high safety at this point.

Bethea is then telling Tartt to come down onto the weakside of the formation because the strength is opposite what they called(they're flipping the defensive coverage), but while he's doing that, he misses that the FB/TE has moved up on to the line as a TE, which changes the strength of the formation(I'll show in the next snap) and you see both Bow and Ray Ray indicating this and Brooks moves back over.

We're going to run a cross dog blitz with a fire zone behind it. The red is what should've happened. When you run that cross dog blitz from a 3-3-5 your weakside safety will take the flat and your strong side LB will take his flat with the strong side safety taking deep middle and your underneath defender playing the middle zone. The black is what happened because Bethea had turned away when the shift happens. I have written out why the top of the screen is the strong side.

You see the cross dog action from Bow and Ray Ray but now you have both Tartt and Reid covering the same area. Brooks is reading an outside flat release from the RB.

Because of this confusion, you see Gurley has slipped out uncovered with no one in the flat area to the weakside.

Thankfully the pressure makes Keenum throw off target and they can't capitalize on the busted coverage.

Beathea looks over at Brooks and points to the flat, in a "why weren't you over there" way. Most likely because his head was turned away when the shift happened. This is an example of how a shift in the front of the offense will change things for multiple players on the defense. Bethea should've been playing underneath on this play and Tartt, being the younger player was listening to the older vet telling him what to do.
  • thl408
The 49ers defense held the Rams to a paltry 3-15 on 3rd downs. A lot of this had to do with the pressure packages that JoN brought. He mixed up his looks and blitzes well. Not sure how much scouting the Rams were able to do being that JoN is new to the division, but their OL was confused all night, including their RB being asked to pick up the blitzes. The other aspect of confusion comes from the split coverages that JoN came with. This play puts both on display.

After surrendering a 1st down on the Rams first 3rd down, this is the next 3rd down.
(not shown) The 49ers show edge pressure with Brooks on the edge and Bow at normal LB depth as they try to hide where the blitz will actually come from. The picture below is right before the snap.

Pressure is really going to come up the middle with Bow and Brooks into the A gaps.

Blair is unblocked as the RB (orange) has tunnel vision.

Odd split coverage with one safety shallow, and Reid deep. My guess is this is some sort of Cover6.

Free rusher up the middle sucks for any QB.

Incomplete. Punt.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Good stuff JD.

The thing about Gabbert is still makes these rookie mistakes in his 5th year. I doubt they can be corrected at this points, this is probably just who he is.

As fans, that may end up being a reality and we need to consider this. The good thing is that it's JUST mechanical and not mental (save for the QB PTSD). These are very simple corrections (feet work, plant foot, driving through throws like a golf swing, where the tip of the ball is, etc.). I'm sure we'll all be keeping an eye on this going forward. SPOT LIGHT!

He may do all the correct things in practice but when the game starts at real speed he goes back to these habits. Its like he plays too fast and is anticipating pressure that is not there, hopefully they can get this corrected.

100% agree!

Blaine plays just well enough to give you hope that he can win and get the team in the mix, but not well enough to come out on top. Steve DeBerg 2.0
Originally posted by cciowa:
a headcase. that is just so off the wall to me.. when was the last time we saw magic under ck? ck is not hte ck of 2012 for gods sake and who knows if he will ever get back to that. if you want to go down that road. ck could be more of a headcase than blaine ever could be. blaine did some things poorly the other night but jesus christ. he is the first quarterback in forever to lead us to four touchdowns in four tries in the red zone. oh i give up

Cool down, BlaineBro. I'm just comparing how Kap handled pressure (first start, playoffs and SB) and how Gabbert seems to get the jitters.

The difference between a bad nervous QB and a great nervous QB is that a great QB keeps his butterflies in a row. I conceded that it may just be getting comfortable with a new system in that he's not trusting his reads. He seemed to improve later in the game when he hit Celek and Vance in some tight windows. He still needs to trust the system. But if it's nerves that's really the problem, he may not be fixable.
I dont chime in much, but i love the defensive breakdowns. I can watch offense and know what was meant to happen, and know if the play fell a part at the line.

Defense, i never learned coverage so when that goofs up i have no clue. And when the bow ray ray play is shown, you see bow breaking his assignment when he sees ray ray in his spot.

So in a nutshell, thank you for this.
  • thl408
I'm going to show three examples of this route combination where Gabbert is faced with different coverages. Forgot to mention that the Rams came with a healthy mix of man and zone coverages.

This is basically a Fade/Out concept where the #1 (yellow) runs a fade and the #2 runs an Out route. This concept can bust man and zone coverage.

Versus zone coverage, the two routes look to vertically stretch the sideline underneath zone defender (blue).
versus Cover 2 Zone

The routes are developed as is the coverage. The read is the blue defender. If he gains depth to take away the Fade, then target the Out route. If he squats shallow to cover the Out route, then throw it into the yellow "honey hole" where the Fade route has a quiet spot behind the blue CB and in front of the Cover2 safety (orange). Here, the CB squats, so there is a window to Torrey's Fade (yellow).

Gabbert looks concept side the entire time. This is a far throw and Gabbert decides against it. Scramble for +11.

The link below mentions many of the passing concepts including the Fade-Out and other terms used in this thread.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182144-all22-analysis-coverages-amp-concepts/
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Any chance you guys can post a breakdown of any plays that are not considered typical Chip Kelly offense? I think I saw someone posting on twitter that he had never seen Chip run the play that Hyde scored his first TD on, just curious if there are any more examples of plays that show Chip is developing his offense.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm going to show three examples of this route combination where Gabbert is faced with different coverages. Forgot to mention that the Rams came with a healthy mix of man and zone coverages.

This is basically a Fade/Out concept where the #1 (yellow) runs a fade and the #2 runs an Out route. This concept can bust man and zone coverage.

Versus zone coverage, the two routes look to vertically stretch the sideline underneath zone defender (blue).
versus Cover 2 Zone

The routes are developed as is the coverage. The read is the blue defender. If he gains depth to take away the Fade, then target the Out route. If he squats shallow to cover the Out route, then throw it into the yellow "honey hole" where the Fade route has a quiet spot behind the blue CB and in front of the Cover2 safety (orange). Here, the CB squats, so there is a window to Torrey's Fade (yellow).

Gabbert looks concept side the entire time. This is a far throw and Gabbert decides against it. Scramble for +11.

The link below mentions many of the passing concepts including the Fade-Out and other terms used in this thread.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182144-all22-analysis-coverages-amp-concepts/

Blaine has to make that throw to Smith. There was a large window to make it. As soon as Blaine would get into his windup, the CB would be assuming it is going to the route in front of him and taken more steps forward until he is able to read the trajectory of the ball to change direction toward Smith...would have been too late by then.

I disagree
  • thl408
I would rather go chronological order but with the play above (Fade-Out) fresh in our mind, here is a very similar route concept versus the same coverage - same quarter, two drives later. Let's see if Blaine learns.
The Out route (red) is now a quick fake screen to the flat. This is to bait the CB to come forward and not gain any depth.
Versus Cover 2 Zone

The read is the same. If the CB gaints depth, throw the Out. If he is shallow throw it into the honey hole. The CB does not gain depth so the correct target is the Fade. It must be thrown on time and with proper placement. Too late or deep and the safety can come over to make a play.

Torrey's only positive catch of the game. +15
So, while Blaine didn't do everything right, I thought, for the most part(as Thl stated, he did miss some reads) but for the most part his reads were right. Please don't take this and devolve into a Kap vs Gabbert thread. But, this is the reason I personally favor Gabs over Kap right now. Because the last time I saw Kap play he kept missing this rudimentary read over and over and over again. To the point where Michael Robinson talked about it on NFL network - the slant/flat concept. If you watched the film threads last year, you saw this.

This is the first drive of the game:

Here, we bring McD in motion - the DB follows him, indicating man-coverage. We're going to run a slant/flat concept on one side and a double slant concept to the other. This gives both a man-beater and zone beater in the same play. The double slant is a concept vs zone coverage and slant/flat works well against man-coverage or any fire zone. Doesn't work great against cover 3 unless it's to the weakside and your QB has a super strong arm(Brett Favre used to throw this concept all the time against cover 3). and cover 2 zone will bust it - but the double slant works well against zone.

So, the man-coverage revealed, Gabs knows his read will be to the slant/flat side of the field. Also, for the slant to work on the outside, the receiver needs to press up, try and turn the hips or at least open the hips of the defender, drop his weight and take a hard cut inside - it needs to be a sharp route. Jerry Rice made a living off this route. The red is how Patton should've run it, the black is how he ran it. He rounded it off and it wasn't sharp at all.

You see the inside DB flying out on McD, so the read is simple. You key the inside defender and when he goes outside, you throw inside. The key will be for Patton to defeat his man-coverage.

Aaron Donald owns Beadles, so the play gets sped up. Patton runs a really sloppy route here. One, Patton cuts with his inside foot - no, no. Two, this causes his route to round off and he never turns the DB's hips who has inside leverage.

So the corner is able to drive on the ball and Gabbert has to get rid of the ball with Donald bearing down on him.

Gabbert actually places the ball very nicely against this coverage. With the corner breaking inside he throws it slightly behind Patton so he can turn and shield it from the defender. This is one of those nice plays from Gabs that only netted a few yards. But, he made the right read and had great ball placement against the coverage. Patton, on the other hand has got to learn to defeat man-coverage better than that and run sharper routes.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Blaine has to make that throw to Smith. There was a large window to make it. As soon as Blaine would get into his windup, the CB would be assuming it is going to the route in front of him and taken more steps forward until he is able to read the trajectory of the ball to change direction toward Smith...would have been too late by then.

Safety was on top of it and a deep pass on 3rd and 9 had more risk than picking up the easy first down.
[ Edited by jcs on Sep 14, 2016 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
I would rather go chronological order but with the play above (Fade-Out) fresh in our mind, here is a very similar route concept versus the same coverage - same quarter, two drives later. Let's see if Blaine learns.
The Out route (red) is now a quick fake screen to the flat. This is to bait the CB to come forward and not gain any depth.
Versus Cover 2 Zone

The read is the same. If the CB gaints depth, throw the Out. If he is shallow throw it into the honey hole. The CB does not gain depth so the correct target is the Fade. It must be thrown on time and with proper placement. Too late or deep and the safety can come over to make a play.

Torrey's only positive catch of the game. +15
This was one play that on the broadcast I thought he missed his ball placement, but when I watched the film thought he actually placed the ball fairly well and protected Torrey from taking a huge hit or getting picked.
Share 49ersWebzone