There are 201 users in the forums

SF 49ers @ CAR Panthers Pregame Thread - 2016 Season Week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
The Panthers' O-Line is still really average. To have any chance of success we need to be in Cam's face all day long and keep him from getting into a rhythm. Whilst I rate our DB's quite highly if Cam has time he can put the ball up there for KB and there's not much they can do. Offensively we cannot afford to miss as many easy high percentage passes as we did last week. Hyde must be fed the ball but I'd like to see more play action and shots down field. The Panthers will miss Norman and we've got to challenge that.
Put 100 on it.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I hope you put a nice 20$'on it atleast! Still a nice pay out ;)
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
In the Rams pre game thread I predicted we would score 28 points. I got a ouija board. s**t works. I had Gabbert with 2 passing TD's and Hyde with one. Draughn with another. Was close. Ouija board is kinda broken.

This week I think we score 27 points. 1 passing TD from Gabbert, 2 rushing from the RB's, 2 FG's. If our d holds the Panthers under 27 we win.

Cam Newton literally cries like a lost kid and wont talk to the media. Gabbert named best hair in NFL post game and finds the cure for male pattern baldness. Chip Kelly licks lips. Universe ends.
Pretty freakin good man..I'm just loving the positiveness in this thread except for those few whiners who never stop; what a damn treat to read and it's been a long time coming..

These are for the most part very young players, you know the kind that heal and rejuvenate fast; so no more talk joecool about how dog ass tired they gonna be, etc, ad nausa..

Gonna be a hella game, they can win...WEEE CAAAAN DOOOO IIIT...!
NFL should be ashamed of themselves for this schedule. Panthers played Thursday, 49ers played Monday. Then have to travel across the country and play an early game on a short week. Pretty ridiculous
Originally posted by TexasDuck:
NFL should be ashamed of themselves for this schedule. Panthers played Thursday, 49ers played Monday. Then have to travel across the country and play an early game on a short week. Pretty ridiculous

Happened to us last year also.
Originally posted by Kelv:
The Panthers' O-Line is still really average. To have any chance of success we need to be in Cam's face all day long and keep him from getting into a rhythm. Whilst I rate our DB's quite highly if Cam has time he can put the ball up there for KB and there's not much they can do. Offensively we cannot afford to miss as many easy high percentage passes as we did last week. Hyde must be fed the ball but I'd like to see more play action and shots down field. The Panthers will miss Norman and we've got to challenge that.

This is true and their OL pass blocking is hidden by their play action. CAR thrives on their run-game working well. Make Cam a straight drop back passer and he begins to struggle or run more often. Sort of remind you of somebody? The difference is that Cam can make some throws but he doesn't necessarily carry a team on his back with straight drop back passing.
3-31
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Just for kicks I looked up the Phi vs Cal game last year.

Car won 27-13

Bradford had 205 yards and a pick sacked 5 times

Cam had 197 yards 1 td 3 picks 20 rush yards 1 rush td sacked once

lol @ Cam throwing 3 picks and still winning by 2 scores
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Originally posted by TexasDuck:

Happened to us last year also.

Every team will have a 'screw you' or two in their schedule. Thursday night games ensure this. Remember a few years back when the 49ers had a Sunday game at home, and a Thursday night game in Baltimore? If I remember right I think Alex Smith was sacked like 10 times in that game.

One thing to mention regarding these short weeks. This is where it helps to have a young team. Young bodies recover quicker.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Ron Rivera that night...

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Every team will have a 'screw you' or two in their schedule. Thursday night games ensure this. Remember a few years back when the 49ers had a Sunday game at home, and a Thursday night game in Baltimore? If I remember right I think Alex Smith was sacked like 10 times in that game.

One thing to mention regarding these short weeks. This is where it helps to have a young team. Young bodies recover quicker.

Thanksgiving 2011 AKA HarBowl I
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Sep 15, 2016 at 8:03 AM ]
Interesting. PHI in the last 2 seasons was in the top 10 in takeaways.

2014: 7th
2015: 9th

Their problem was that they gave it away even more which heavily affected their +/-.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Their problem was that they gave it away even more which heavily affected their +/-.

The Bradford Sanchez combo pack in addition to a tragic offensive line will do that for a team.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
That white boy Luke is all over the field. He's gonna pick Blaine at least once.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:

The Bradford Sanchez combo pack in addition to a tragic offensive line will do that for a team.

Philly

Do you see any difference between this squad and previous versions of Kelly teams?

I do...there are a few things that are quite similar. Getting production with out elite WR or QB play by scheme and pace for example and wanting an aggressive defense that gets itself off the field in order to compensate for how often the offense will put them back in play. But the roster set up here is far more encouraging.

Chip asks a lot of his offensive line with the formations he runs, there are fewer max protects, no jumbo packages, he doesn't even keep the TE in all that much. The Eagles line the last few years has been a tragedy, the few talented guys are hurt or suspended and the rest are lunch pail dudes. It is a lot like what we had last year. Compound that with the fact that Bradford and Sanchez are ball holders and bad decision makers pretty often and you had a lot of turn overs and QB hits. We seem to have seen a complete turn around on our line and our right side especially is staffed with men the size of mountains. They can eat up a lot of rushes and Gabbert though flawed in many ways seldom holds the ball too long or makes the wrong read. If we throw picks or give up sacks here it is because we got burned by a speed rusher, an elegantly designed blitz or Gabbert through a duck. That alone is a pretty big change.

Another is Hyde and our other backs. Chips system is no lead back, one cut and go. The Eagles backs after McCoy left town were really ill suited to this. They got stuff a lot because they were either A) used to following blockers or B) lacked lateral vision and movement skills needed to find the hole that opens up on the backside often times on a run that looks to initially be a bust.

On the defensive side of the ball it is more of the same...I think our people are just more suited to what he wants to see. The Eagles often tried to be aggressive and simply failed. Rushes didn't create pressure, Coverage got blown etc when trying to line up in many of the standard looks because they lacked the general athleticism to cover for the guy who would be dropping out to blitz or sliding over to under cut the route in question. The often resorted to a gimmicky wide 9 approach to try to out flank because they had no lateral speed. On the D- line we are clearly enormous and I don't see us being out muscled too often and on every level behind them we have at least one guy with elite smarts and speed in combination like Bowman and Reid cover up some of the errors around them and some interesting athletes like Tartt and Ray Ray that give you some wrinkles that a standard guy at their position doesn't. With ability to cover, chase down from behind and incredible lateral speed.

I am not saying we don't need pieces...or that our first year out of the gate we are going to be amazing, but I already see the appeal of this roster to Kelly and how he likes to play. Many of its strengths were the things that his Eagles teams lacked save for that very first year where if you recall they were quite good and everybody was hailing him as the next big thing.
Share 49ersWebzone