There are 198 users in the forums

SF 49ers @ CAR Panthers Pregame Thread - 2016 Season Week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Perhaps O'Neil's comment about Reid being able to play DE wasn't totally in jest! LOL!

They probably have stuff that uses him as a speed rusher off the edge.
Perfect way to use a Dana Hall-like specimen.
Originally posted by harryj:
Originally posted by Joecool:
DEN, in the superbowl, had 7 sacks and 13 hits on Cam. Some may be the result of coverage but I am sure most was the result of beating the OL.

Week 1, Denver had 3 sacks and 8 hits.Benjamin went 6 for 91. Olson went 7 for 73. The biggest difference for DEN to over come their turnovers was that no RB rushed over 64 yards.

CAR must run to have success.

well last year they didnt have benjaman and they just focused on cam so im not sure if thats true

they are great at running but im not sure if they cant pass and have success

Just saying that CAR WR had success vs those top CBs but CAR still only reached 20 puts, which is solid but Denver stuffed their run game which is why CAR wasn't able to consistently move the ball.

CAR is almost exactly like the Jim Harbaugh offense is but with better pssing talent. As with Jim Harbaugh, you stuff his run game and everything breaks down because his offense, like CAR's, breaks down if the run can't help set up the play action.

Play action is essential to CAR passing game working and the play action doesn't work as well if the run is being stopped by a strong front.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:05 PM ]
CAR had the #2 rushing offense in the league last year. Do you know how DEN beat them? By stuffing their run. Their offense is all based on their run game. If anyone understands how to stop their offense, it is our coach, the coach who has the zone read mastered.

Of course, personnel matters and I believe we have the personnel to stuff their run.

Have a feeling we will be run blitzing Cam a lot.

I believe what you believe. The Panthers best believe our defense isnt just gonna lay down. If we win this game our fan base and NFL in general will become believers.
Originally posted by CO9er4life:
DEN, in the superbowl, had 7 sacks and 13 hits on Cam. Some may be the result of coverage but I am sure most was the result of beating the OL.

Week 1, Denver had 3 sacks and 8 hits.Benjamin went 6 for 91. Olson went 7 for 73. The biggest difference for DEN to over come their turnovers was that no RB rushed over 64 yards.

CAR must run to have success.

Do we need to run to have success?
yes

Lets beat those p***ys up
CAR had the #2 rushing offense in the league last year. Do you know how DEN beat them? By stuffing their run. Their offense is all based on their run game. If anyone understands how to stop their offense, it is our coach, the coach who has the zone read mastered.

Of course, personnel matters and I believe we have the personnel to stuff their run.

Stuffing the Run, forcing them to pass, then unleashing Von Miller on them + other defenders (they had a way better dline in Superbowl than week 1)

If we can follow that pattern, the best we can do is 2 out of 3. We dont have Von Miller lol
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:39 PM ]

GO Niners!
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:

I believe what you believe. The Panthers best believe our defense isnt just gonna lay down. If we win this game our fan base and NFL in general will become believers.

It doesn't seem likely to me that we win this...but you are very correct. We go to the defending NFC champs house and punch them in the teeth....the media will be all over our jock.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

It doesn't seem likely to me that we win this...but you are very correct. We go to the defending NFC champs house and punch them in the teeth....the media will be all over our jock.

ehhh, idk about that. Media coverage would be as follows:

15% Niners Surprising people,
10% Kaep Kneeling, and
75% WTF WRONG WITH PANTHERS, Y CAM NO SMILE, ALL DEM HEADSHOTS
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

ehhh, idk about that. Media coverage would be as follows:

15% Niners Surprising people,
10% Kaep Kneeling, and
75% WTF WRONG WITH PANTHERS, Y CAM NO SMILE, ALL DEM HEADSHOTS

The PITT game last season was a complete brain fart by Mangini and our defense. Bowman even had both his arms up in confusion.****

* That team was prepared by Jim Tomsula
* This was before Mangini realized our players understand pattern matching
* That team was prepared by Jimmy T
* That team was prepared by the mustache.
A couple simple/generic keys to the game.

I want to see us put the Panthers in obvious third down passing situations by stopping their run on first and second downs. Make Cam beat us through the air, which he can do but before 2015 he was playing more like a QB on this team. In fact, early 2015 Cam's passing wasnt that great. It has been spotty his whole career but he really improved as the 2015 season played out. I think he still has some bad games in him. We just need some skill (and some luck) to force one of his bad passing games this Sunday- by containing their RB/QB rushing.

I think after the loss last week he'll want the game in his hands or on his arm but we'll also have to force that by stopping their run. He wants his MVP status back. If we can put them in third and long situations and get a little pressure we should be competitive. I think our secondary will have to play great because we prob wont be getting too much pressure on Cam. Plus the refs will be protecting him this week. Stopping Benjamin wont be easy.

On offense I'd like to see Kelly pass on first down more. Monday's third quarter, the play calling was bad. Heck, on some of the runs Monday Chip got "lucky" because of Hyde's lateral motion skills. We need more quick passes to Draughn on first, get Vance involved early. Hit T Smith deep early in the game, even if we miss it will help open up some things underneath.

The Panthers are going to be focused on stopping Hyde. Gabbert is going to have to do what Kap couldnt, beat man coverage outside the numbers. Quickly get rid of the ball when pressure hits around or under 2 seconds. Make them pay for stacking the box.

Chip should make this a very pass heavy game. Hit them in the air early and often. Pass to Draughn a lot then sneak Hyde in, esp after a couple deep shots to T Smith. 60/40 pass/run.

We need to stop the lateral passing to Gabberts right side. It worked at the goal line in preseason but the Panthers will be all over it.

Pretty much stop their run and expect them to be focused on stopping Hyde/Gabberts rushing. Try to have Gabbert beat them through the air. Make it a passing battle. If Gabbert fails oh well. Dont play right into their hands by rushing Hyde into a brick wall.
[ Edited by LeProfessionnel on Sep 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM ]

I want to see us put the Panthers in obvious third down passing situations by stopping their run on first and second downs. Make Cam beat us through the air, which he can do but before 2015 he was playing more like a QB on this team. In fact, early 2015 Cam's passing wasnt that great. It has been spotty his whole career but he really improved as the 2015 season played out. I think he still has some bad games in him. We just need some skill (and some luck) to force one of his bad passing games this Sunday- by containing their RB/QB rushing.

I think after the loss last week he'll want the game in his hands or on his arm but we'll also have to force that by stopping their run. He wants his MVP status back. If we can put them in third and long situations and get a little pressure we should be competitive. I think our secondary will have to play great because we prob wont be getting too much pressure on Cam. Plus the refs will be protecting him this week. Stopping Benjamin wont be easy.

On offense I'd like to see Kelly pass on first down more. Monday's third quarter, the play calling was bad. Heck, on some of the runs Monday Chip got "lucky" because of Hyde's lateral motion skills. We need more quick passes to Draughn on first, get Vance involved early. Hit T Smith deep early in the game, even if we miss it will help open up some things underneath.

The Panthers are going to be focused on stopping Hyde. Gabbert is going to have to do what Kap couldnt, beat man coverage outside the numbers. Quickly get rid of the ball when pressure hits around or under 2 seconds. Make them pay for stacking the box.

Chip should make this a very pass heavy game. Hit them in the air early and often. Pass to Draughn a lot then sneak Hyde in, esp after a couple deep shots to T Smith. 60/40 pass/run.

We need to stop the lateral passing to Gabberts right side. It worked at the goal line in preseason but the Panthers will be all over it.

Pretty much stop their run and expect them to be focused on stopping Hyde/Gabberts rushing. Try to have Gabbert beat them through the air. Make it a passing battle. If Gabbert fails oh wfirstDont play right into their hands by rushing Hyde into a brick wall.

All great points. Honestly, on paper and on the field, I think we have the right team to beat them barring QB mistakes. However, I just don't think we can overcome the scheduling factor.

If I bench press 300 and another guy benches the same but I just did a grueling chest workout 2 days ago and am sore while the other guy is coming in from a 4 day rest, I have a feeling I don't perform as well as he does.

Pretty much stop their run and expect them to be focused on stopping Hyde/Gabberts rushing. Try to have Gabbert beat them through the air. Make it a passing battle. If Gabbert fails oh wfirstDont play right into their hands by rushing Hyde into a brick wall.

All great points. Honestly, on paper and on the field, I think we have the right team to beat them barring QB mistakes. However, I just don't think we can overcome the scheduling factor.

If I bench press 300 and another guy benches the same but I just did a grueling chest workout 2 days ago and am sore while the other guy is coming in from a 4 day rest, I have a feeling I don't perform as well as he does.

Another reason we shouldnt try to power through them. I dont think we're gonna win but I'd like to see us try through the air. Our WR's/TE's are fresh(er) than Hyde.
But ya, our D will prob get tired by late third/early 4th. If we dont score early we're screwed.

If you were following Chip Kelly's nutrition science, you'd perform 10x better than the other guy with 4 day rest and no nutrition science.
Here's my Key matchups for Niners vs Panthers showdown.

OLine must show its worth. After watching dreadful 2015 season how Niners give opposing defenses sack after sack then be on the group of worse lines on the league on pass blocking, last Monday was a refreshing and inspiring performance by our starting linemen specially Tiller and Brown who prevailed over the Rams front seven who still are excellent rushing the passer. But gonna be a new stage when both had to deal with Charles,Star Lotulelei,Kawann Short and Kony Ealy. If they contain them then we can have a chance to run the ball and give Gabbert some time to find a quick pass.

Gabbert's accuracy and decision. If Gabbert had to show improvement on his decision making and skills this is the moment. He always starts with a cold shoulder and taffy feet most of the game and despite Kerley saved him many times also have to consider Rivera, McDermott and Panthers D already know his weaknesses also gonna exploit them every down. Kelly must be prepared not only on a quick pass based gameplan but also instruct Gabbert on how to deal Panthers front seven who are far better than Rams and not gonna give him any second to breath.

Duck Duo must go and hunt down Newton. Cam Newton had a setback on season kickoff against Broncos and dealing with Champs D. Niners should copy the recipe in order to keep Cam and Panthers running game behind their own line. Niners were lucky Keenum couldn't torched us on key plays mostly by his lack of skills but Cam could clearly torch us with a quick and deep pass. Front linemen like Armstead, Buckner, Dial and Blair must bring him down to keep scoreboard in our favor.

Special teams coverage. While most of the night was EZ for Swinton's unit they also had trouble to keep opposing gunners away of Kerley when returning punts or kickoffs. If Niners can force Panthers to start their drives inside the 10 then Niners D will have an easier duty also offense could have nudge if they start their own drives at 35-45 yard line.
[ Edited by NIMV4683 on Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone