LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Week 1 2016 - Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I saw 12 drives and 7 punts.

Carolina turns those into scores.

just saying

Good win. Nice warm up. The real test is week 2.
Originally posted by SoCold:

just saying

Yeah if we pull off a win against the Panthers I will then start talking crap to people.
1) Gabbert: Yeah...we still need a QB. The killers for me were the bubble screen on the ground and the inability in the 3rd quarter to throw an accurate pass when the Rams were playing 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS. Torrey Smith may have forgotten what its like to have a pass delivered that didn't require him dropping to the ground to catch it.

Gabbert rebounded in the 4th quarter but if he can't force defenses to to play honest, it'll be a long, long year.

2) Hyde: Love the guy. So much talent. I do have a criticism though. I think he's falling in love with those cutback runs. I love seeing them and they can be a real weapon, but sometimes he needs to just drive into the gap. There were a few runs I could see from my vantage point where he had an opening and let it go to try a cutback and the D was there waiting for him.

Granted...10 men within the LOS will make that happen, but sometimes you just gotta put your head down and GO.

That first TD tho was pretty.

8) Pinion: Dude has a leg. Hey...maybe that wasn't such a bad pick after all? And the 7th round pick that the 49ers optained moving down to take Pinion? Trent Brown. Maybe we cut Baalke some slack. More on that later.
IMHO, great assessment as always Marv.

I'am willing to wait a little longer on Gab's before I decide on him. His footwork is terrible at time, maybe still doesn't trust the O-line, maybe never will adjust.

I thought the same thing about Hyde but was watching on a iffy internet connection that would sometimes buffer on replays.

Pinion averaged 45.6 yards per punt and except for some missed tackles there wouldn't have been much return yardage.
Plus, I don't get why people think a 5th round draft choice is wasted on a punter when most 5th round picks don't stick with the teams beyond 3 years anyway.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need a Qb, Wr and a rushing OLB. Then we'll be cooking.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Lynch citing in 3...2...1 games.
Still taking a wait and see attitude on Gabbert. There is a lot of room for improvement in terms of his accuracy but he seems to be making good decisions, is getting the ball out of his hands, and making plays with his feet when they are there to be made.

I like Kerley. He seems like a more dynamic version of Ellington. Now if only Moe and Larry would show up.

I think the O-line is going to be wicked good this year and may end up keeping us in a lot of games.

Nice outing by the defense against a woefully bad Ram offense. Will be curious to see how the play in the next two weeks.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Gotta tell you (other than just getting a W, and shutting out the other team) what really stood out to me was we played a clean game. Didn't take penalties, got plays off on time, didn't have a bunch of turnovers, got TDs instead of FGs. All the stuff that has been haunting us for the past few years managed to not show up yesterday.

We played nice clean football. And took advantage of our opportunities. Over the last few years, those early chance to score would have been settling for 3 points, and while we might have been up 9-0 at one point, a couple bone head plays, (turnovers, false starts, bad 3 and outs, other dumb penalties, etc..) likely could have meant we lost 10-9 or something like that.

Instead, seeing us put away a team we should have beat because we had our chances early, outplayed them and made those scores touchdowns and let THEM make the dumb mistakes, while we played a nice, clean game, was such a refreshing change, that the details of who scored or did or didn't get a sack or who could use improvement here or there pales in comparison to seeing the team as a whole play clean, professional football.

The difference a good coach makes. Lets be honest Harb only had to be competent with all the talent we had, he didn't bring much to the table in scheme, discipline or teaching. The last year goes without saying. Now...you may or may not like Chips scheme but you cannot deny his results in the teaching and discipline department. We saw it in the preseason as well...these guys have the team playing really clean football.
A dominant defense can carry a team deep into the playoffs
I'd sure like to see Garrett Celek be better in the reception area. Big target and always seems to be open enough for quick gainer but if he continues to drop them , they won't throw to him .
Big conundrum .

Really liked the special teams last nite and gang tackling plus people staying in their lanes . Tart made me forget about McCray and our receiving the punts although nothing spectacular it was not ugly as all catches were made cleanly.

Time of possession was excellent and the discipline was extraordinary.

The inmates are no longer running the asylym IMO like they were under dumbsulas reign of error

9ers get an A for last nites effort in mine eyes
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Lynch citing in 3...2...1 games.

Can't wait.

One observation I made is Eric Reid has looked good all pre-season and this game he looked really good too. Especially his support in the run-game. Damn near laid one guy out in the flat. Our secondary overall just looks much improved. The D is just flying to the ball.

I like this attacking scheme.
Originally posted by SoCold:

just saying

I don't think anyone is harboring delusions of already being on the level of the defending conference champions...especially coming of a stinging loss that will have them super fired up, at home, with us on short rest and long travel. We aren't ready for them on our best day just yet....but the encouraging thing is that last nights game gave you a peak through the window into a future where we could be and it isn't as far off as the press and the doubters want us all to believe.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good assessment

Buckner played very well as attested by PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-rookies-through-nfl-week-1/

We're the only team to have two guys on the list!

Things to consider:

We were "Perfect" in the Red Zone - When was the last time that happened?

Gabbart got the ball out very quick. Still lots of room for improvement, but he was decisive

Blair is going to be a force

I didn't notice Tank very much. How'd he do?

The bolded needs to be mentioned more. 4 trips to the redzone, 4 touchdowns. That is awesome.

And against the Rams defense to say the least.

I agree on all three, but as long as we keep winning with this QB, I'm not gonna be greedy. I hope he is good enough that we can draft one and let him sit long enough so that we have a long term solution and not be where the Rams are currently.
I don't want what happens to most rookie QB's with the ridiculous expectations that they are somehow supposed to lead you to the promised land immediately.
Almost never works.
I'm not sure if the defense was that great or the Rams were that bad. But damn that was a good performance. Big test coming up.
Share 49ersWebzone