There are 171 users in the forums

49ers Week 1 2016 - Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I apologize as I haven't yet been able to rewatch. I've been over several of the highlights but those late Monday Night starts kill me. :) This is more impressions from being at the game live and watching highlights.

1) Gabbert: Yeah...we still need a QB. The killers for me were the bubble screen on the ground and the inability in the 3rd quarter to throw an accurate pass when the Rams were playing 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS. Torrey Smith may have forgotten what its like to have a pass delivered that didn't require him dropping to the ground to catch it.

Gabbert rebounded in the 4th quarter but if he can't force defenses to to play honest, it'll be a long, long year.

2) Hyde: Love the guy. So much talent. I do have a criticism though. I think he's falling in love with those cutback runs. I love seeing them and they can be a real weapon, but sometimes he needs to just drive into the gap. There were a few runs I could see from my vantage point where he had an opening and let it go to try a cutback and the D was there waiting for him.

Granted...10 men within the LOS will make that happen, but sometimes you just gotta put your head down and GO.

That first TD tho was pretty.

3) The Two Towers: They are for real. Armstead looks like a monster. He's not even healthy but that guy has SOOO much power. Watch what he does to his lineman on the Brooks sack. WOW. Brooks was there against that man too...but he looks MUCH better than last year. Buckner flashed as well and will only get better. Really excited about these guys.

4) Ward: He was all over the field. He's a corner who hits like a safety. I even say him take on a pulling guard. Really excited to see where he goes this year.

5) Reid: Also all over the field. Playing like a Pro Bowl safety.

6) Tartt: I saw him chase down one of the fastest returners in the NFL (Austin) TWICE on back to back returns. That guy is 6'1", 220 lbs and he's chasing down Tavon? That kid has a future. The young secondary on this team looks really, really good...and I didn't even talk about Brock.

7) O-Line: I said during the preseason that I wanted Anthony Davis to play guard but that I really liked Tiller. I'll just go on record as saying that I don't think Tiller should be pulled off the field. I really like that guy. He's bounced around the league but it just seems like its really starting to click for him. I dunno what happens with AD, but Tiller is just fine as the starting RG.

8) Pinion: Dude has a leg. Hey...maybe that wasn't such a bad pick after all? And the 7th round pick that the 49ers optained moving down to take Pinion? Trent Brown. Maybe we cut Baalke some slack. More on that later.

9) Ray Ray Armstrong: Who new? I thought it was ludicrous what he was mentioned as a possible starter. I was wrong.

10) Baalke: Look at the players that really looked good last night. Armstead, Ward, Reid, Tartt, Trent Brown, Carlos Hyde, and several more. Its early and there is a good chance they get crushed the next two weeks, but give credit where its due. Some of Baalkes draft picks are really showing up.

There are a lot of holes to fill and as fun as it was to watch the Niners dismantle to Rams, they still got work to do. They need a QB and they need WRs.

Still though. They have some pieces and Baalke deserves some credit for those pieces.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

10) Baalke: Look at the players that really looked good last night. Armstead, Ward, Reid, Tartt, Trent Brown, Carlos Hyde, and several more. Its early and there is a good chance they get crushed the next two weeks, but give credit where its due. Some of Baalkes draft picks are really showing up.

There are a lot of holes to fill and as fun as it was to watch the Niners dismantle to Rams, they still got work to do. They need a QB and they need WRs.

Still though. They have some pieces and Baalke deserves some credit for those pieces.

Bottom line. People were assessing these picks WAY too early given their youth and low snaps counts the past two years with the roster turnover in the 2015 off season. And believe me, many of these guys are just getting started. The more snaps they get under the same system, the more they are going to flash. Ironically, that goes for one of Baalke's biggest picks too...Chip Kelly. I saw some nerves-decisions from him too. He too should get better and better with time, comfort and continuity with this young team. Arrow up all around. This was a well coached team who was young/inexperienced but came ready to play and they flat out executed. That's all you can ask for at this juncture of the rebuild. Anytime you see Bowman with a smile on his face like that, you KNOW the kids did him proud.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Great take, Marvin.

A lot of positives in regards to the young draft picks showing up and playing well. Found a HUGE (literally) diamond in the rough with Trent Brown.

In addition to the recent draftees you talked about, also want to point out Rashard Robinson, who was the 3rd CB when we went Nickel and appears to be ahead of Johnson on the depth chart. Played a solid game, 0 yards allowed in his coverage. Rookie CB contributor in the 4th rd with his talent level? I'll take it.

The QB play did leave a bad impression on me. I was expecting Gabbert to be a little more sharp than he was. He's always been scatter-shot, but now he's in an offense that supposedly suits his skill set. He was not accurate, and left several plays on the field, some big. Decision making was also inconsistent, as he was lucky not to get picked on at least 3 different occasions. That performance is not good enough in most games we will play this year.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:28 AM ]
Good assessment

Buckner played very well as attested by PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-rookies-through-nfl-week-1/

We're the only team to have two guys on the list!

Things to consider:

We were "Perfect" in the Red Zone - When was the last time that happened?

Gabbart got the ball out very quick. Still lots of room for improvement, but he was decisive

Blair is going to be a force

I didn't notice Tank very much. How'd he do?
  • thl408
Aw man. Let's not make this another Baalke thread. Good thoughts, Marvin.

On some of those runs by Hyde, I think the jump sidesteps were necessary because the middle was clogged. The difference between this year and last year was last year there was penetration up the middle, whereas this year (game) it was a stalemate and this allowed Hyde to sidestep and find the hole. I thought this run was badass. The Rams cover up the C and the strongside G and Hyde sets up the MLB by pressing the middle of the line. This allows Tiller to reach his block. Cut back runs are normal in a zone scheme. Press the line, to setup the second level defenders then allow daylight to show. Hit daylight.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good assessment

Things to consider:

Gabbart got the ball out very quick. Still lots of room for improvement, but he was decisive

it's only the 1st week and there will be growing pains but until next Sunday

7. DeForest Buckner, DE, 49ers No rookie earned a higher pass-rushing grade than Buckner in Week 1. He may have been blanked in the box score, but his four hurries contributed greatly to the 49ers' win. Unfortunately, he missed a tackle in the run game and got taken out of a couple other plays, and that's why he slips to seventh on this list.

10. Rashard Robinson, CB, 49ers The only team with two players represented on this list, the 49ers have to be pleased with how they started the 2016 season. To pitch a shutout with multiple rookies contributing is quite the feat. In 23 coverage snaps, Robinson allowed a grand total of 0 yards into his coverage.
NaVarro Bowman takes umbrage
Originally posted by thl408:
Aw man. Let's not make this another Baalke thread. Good thoughts, Marvin.

On some of those runs by Hyde, I think the jump sidesteps were necessary because the middle was clogged. The difference between this year and last year was last year there was penetration up the middle, whereas this year (game) it was a stalemate and this allowed Hyde to sidestep and find the hole. I thought this run was badass. The Rams cover up the C and the strongside G and Hyde sets up the MLB by pressing the middle of the line. This allows Tiller to reach his block. Cut back runs are normal in a zone scheme. Press the line, to setup the second level defenders then allow daylight to show. Hit daylight.

Damn...look at Donald on that play. Beadles makes the block but the force of Donalds strike rocks him back.

Don't get me wrong. I love the cut backs and are a staple of zone runs, I'm just saying there were a few times he was too willing to forgo the opening in favor of the cutback. I'll be able to give an example when I get to rematch the game. I can picture one run in particular where I was situation right behind the opening and saw him ignore it and cut back into the teeth of the D.

Its a small thing so don't want to over stress because he made some great runs last night.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM ]

Gabbert rebounded in the 4th quarter but if he can't force defenses to to play honest, it'll be a long, long year.

2) Hyde: Love the guy. So much talent. I do have a criticism though. I think he's falling in love with those cutback runs. I love seeing them and they can be a real weapon, but sometimes he needs to just drive into the gap. There were a few runs I could see from my vantage point where he had an opening and let it go to try a cutback and the D was there waiting for him.

Granted...10 men within the LOS will make that happen, but sometimes you just gotta put your head down and GO.

7) O-Line: I said during the preseason that I wanted Anthony Davis to play guard but that I really liked Tiller. I'll just go on record as saying that I don't think Tiller should be pulled off the field. I really like that guy. He's bounced around the league but it just seems like its really starting to click for him. I dunno what happens with AD, but Tiller is just fine as the starting RG.

It will take time for a qb and rb who are accustomed to terrible oline play to trust their new current line.

We had a couple injuries tiller and Robinson if i remember right.(half asleep EST) what is the injury report on them?

Originally posted by Matchuu84:

It will take time for a qb and rb who are accustomed to terrible oline play to trust their new current line.

We had a couple injuries tiller and Robinson if i remember right.(half asleep EST) what is the injury report on them?

Tiller returned. Not sure status. Robinson was just a cramp.
Those tight window throws Gabbert was making scare the crap out of me. He tries that next week and Kuechly is gonna have a pick 6 or 2.
Gotta tell you (other than just getting a W, and shutting out the other team) what really stood out to me was we played a clean game. Didn't take penalties, got plays off on time, didn't have a bunch of turnovers, got TDs instead of FGs. All the stuff that has been haunting us for the past few years managed to not show up yesterday.

We played nice clean football. And took advantage of our opportunities. Over the last few years, those early chance to score would have been settling for 3 points, and while we might have been up 9-0 at one point, a couple bone head plays, (turnovers, false starts, bad 3 and outs, other dumb penalties, etc..) likely could have meant we lost 10-9 or something like that.

Instead, seeing us put away a team we should have beat because we had our chances early, outplayed them and made those scores touchdowns and let THEM make the dumb mistakes, while we played a nice, clean game, was such a refreshing change, that the details of who scored or did or didn't get a sack or who could use improvement here or there pales in comparison to seeing the team as a whole play clean, professional football.
I agree with what you are saying Marvin. Instead of just hitting the hole hard a few times it's like he waits to jump to another hole and he got hit.

It was the 3rd quarter when i realized i hadn't heard Quinn's name all night. I had to check to see if he was hurt. He was just shut down by Staley.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good assessment

Things to consider:

The bolded needs to be mentioned more. 4 trips to the redzone, 4 touchdowns. That is awesome.
Share 49ersWebzone