There are 293 users in the forums

Quick Takes on Week 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
So many words. Not quick.

I rate this win a B. Should have been an A but 7 punts is too many. Maybe next time.

thats what a chip kelly offense looks like. You are going to punt a lot if you cant get the ball moving. i think we punted 4 times in the 3rd quarter
Originally posted by pd24:
Gabbert scares me. lol. He hit like 4 or 5 rams players with the ball and can't throw a proper screen pass.

that did worry me. He is lucky he never turned the ball over. Its weird because i dont remember his accuracy being that bad last year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Gabbert scares me. lol. He hit like 4 or 5 rams players with the ball and can't throw a proper screen pass.

that did worry me. He is lucky he never turned the ball over. Its weird because i dont remember his accuracy being that bad last year
and there were times when he was spot on... the more he practices and plays. the better he will get. alot of people are over looking his guts and ability to make plays with his feet.
Let's hope we don't call a screen again on 4th down Please.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by jreff22:
we couldn't run for s**t in the 3rd quarter

It's because the Rams adjusted and rather than their front 7 all abandoning assignments to blow up the point of attack they actually maintained gap assignments and kept Hyde from bouncing out when he was met with bodies behind the LOS.

Its amazing to see 2 comments from 2 different posters who watched the same game.

You instantly know who understands what they watched and who just likes results regardless of factors.
  • Dino
  • Veteran

Definitely got lucky on some of those throws. If he makes the same mistakes vs Carolina it could be a long game.
Originally posted by cciowa:

and there were times when he was spot on... the more he practices and plays. the better he will get. alot of people are over looking his guts and ability to make plays with his feet.

Gabbert missed an assload of throws last night. But he also played very well from the pocket and created yards when things were covered. Credit to that offensive line because that Rams Dline couldn't pass gas near BG.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

I would love if he did improve. Just scares me right now, but he is the best option we have so we will roll with it. This team needs to add a WR or two and a QB next year and we will be challenging for the division. The defense is young and should take another step and the O line seems fixed.

* Gabbert throwing well short of the sticks from a clean pocket on 4th and 2 is a good example of why I'll never be able to really root for Gabbert.

While it's fair to criticize Gabbert for low balling the throw and stopping the play dead because of it, it's unfair to criticize Gabbert for the choice of where to throw it on this play. This was a designed WR screen called by Kelly.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:11 AM ]
You're right about the draw play Hyde scored on. (although I'd have to watch again, tbf, on first pass I thought someone -- maybe celek -- got away with a hold on that one; could be wrong).

You'll also see a few items down that we agree the O-line looked great. So Hyde looked good and the line looked good but the running game looked pretty bad. It's because the Rams knew exactly where the ball was going (again tbf, the 9ers seemed to know where the Rams running plays were going, particularly in the first quarter too). Without Hyde turning water into wine a few times we'd all be up in arms about him getting hit in the backfield over and over again.

Even the Cardinals homer on the radio here was praising the 49ers for doing what few other teams had the guts to do and that was going on the atrack against the Rams DL. Some of the short runs may not have been pretty but as a former player he talked about the Rams looking stunned that a team was actually coming at them for a change and it threw then off their game.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Even the Cardinals homer on the radio here was praising the 49ers for doing what few other teams had the guts to do and that was going on the atrack against the Rams DL. Some of the short runs may not have been pretty but as a former player he talked about the Rams looking stunned that a team was actually coming at them for a change and it threw then off their game.

They took an all pro like Donald and turned him into a little baby. We punched them in the mouth and they had no answer.
Originally posted by captveg:
While it's fair to criticize Gabbert for low balling the throw and stopping the play dead because of it, it's unfair to criticize Gabbert for the choice of where to throw it on this play. This was a designed WR screen called by Kelly.

Oh, wait a second maybe I got confused.

I'm not talking about the screen. I'm talking about the (I guess maybe 3rd down pass) to *I think* Patton. Gabbert stepped up into a clean pocket and still had time and darted a low pass toward the sideline at the top of the TV screen to a blanketed WR who *I think* caught it but fell over and was tackled well short of the sticks.

The screen you're talking about (which was the 4th down play) was just a really crappy pass more than it was a really crappy decision on Gabbert's part (as you're right: it was a Chip's decision, not Gabbert's to go there that time).
  • thl408
While we're waiting for Marvin's 2nd watching thread, I figure this one can just be a place for some quick takes about different things (rule: nothing more than one sentence per item).

*This looked like the 9ers dominate run D from a few years ago.

* Was indifferent to the Kerley signing, but with him back there this was the first time I wasn't holding my breath in fear on every punt return since Ginn was in town.

* Ray Ray is pretty boom or bust on a per-play basis, but damn if he doesn't make a lot of slash plays, and damn if he, as a former safety, might have snatched Tartt's job on passing downs.

* Truly great games from Brock and Ward, and maybe the best I've seen Brock play.

* Gabbert throwing well short of the sticks from a clean pocket on 4th and 2 is a good example of why I'll never be able to really root for Gabbert.

* Vance McDonald held onto two difficult throws with bodies around him.

* Now that Armstead's spin move is on tape I think it's going to get him pancaked if he keeps going to it over and over again.

* Kelly's run game really looks figured out and broken, as the only runs of note were Hyde abandoning the play and bouncing out because the Rams were too undisciplined to not all funnel right into where the ball was supposed to go (they got this cleaned up after halftime, hence, no running game in the 2nd half).

* Buckner, Armstead, and Blair are the D lineman who are sexy to talk about, but d-line gameball for this one has gotta go to Quinton Dial.

* Really nice to see Eric Reid playing aggressive and getting his head in there, but Bethea still looks like he's done, and once the 9ers are out of contention I hope they give Tartt a shot.

*Somehow Torrey was even more invisible than he was last year.

*Really great game by the O-line, particularly given the level of competition they were going up against with the Rams front 4.

* I can't remember the last time I saw the 9ers play such a penalty free game, which was really, really impressive.

Nice breakdown. Agree with lots of it.
- The 49ers run defense was being tipped off somehow because they run blitzed right at the point of attack and didn't give Gurley anything save for one run. I was worried how they would defend the run and they did well.

- First impression of the OL is that going from Marcus Martin to Kilgore is the greatest single improvement on the OL. I know Devey/Pears had a lot of wtf moments last season, but Kilgore looks to have solidified the middle of the OL because Martin was terrible in 2015. Staley/Brown were beasts in pass pro. Robert Quinn was not heard from and I don't even know who the other DE is because Brown was so dominant.

- Gabbert made some gutsy runs/throws, but overall it was a subpar passing performance with a bunch of inaccurate passes. Gotta hit that seam route to Kurley that would have been a huge gain. I thought Gabbert scrambled at good times, with Steve Young confirming that Gabbert exhausted the play before taking off. He took some hits that would have injured smaller QBs. On some dropbacks where Gabbert didn't pull the trigger it was due to the Rams smothering the WRs. I saw lots of the same plays that Chip ran in PHI and it's time he changes things up a bit. WRs had some drops, and so did the defenders on near INTs.

- Hyde is a beast. Some of the runs he had were sick as he used his go to move, the jump side step. On one play he beat, I think, 3 defenders with just one move. He displayed his elusiveness and his strength to break through arm tackles. Seemed like defenders were going for the headshot.

- Dial was the best looking DL imo. I know AA had some plays, but Dial was big in the run game and had the tip for Bow's INT. Need Lynch back to apply some edge pressure.

- JoN called some good blitzes that seemed to get a free rusher in more often than not. Any time the pressure didn't get there, Keenum bailed them out by sucking. I saw the 49ers play more zone than I remember JoN playing in CLE. Perhaps it was to get the CBs involved in run defense since the gameplan was obviously to stop Gurley.

- Kerley already proving his worth and building a rapport with Gabbert. That diving catch on 4th down was a thing of beauty. I thought Patton also had a very good game. He is always electric with the ball in his hands and if CBs don't press him, he is good enough to get consistently open.

Glad to get this win, and didn't think they'd do it with such a dominating performance from the run defense and the interior OL. Two huge question marks all of last season. What the OL did was much more impressive than what the defense did imo.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Huge reach on saying Chip's running game was figured out...I'll take 150 yards 3 TDs rushing, especially when they are playing against a top three DL that only let teams avg 113 yards a game and 7 TDs all year!

Oh, I'll definitely take that too. But take out 95% of Gabbert's yards from unplanned scrambles and probably about 60 of Hyde's 88 yards from saving blown up plays by sneaking back outside in the first half and what you're left with is about 30 carries that maybe produced 40 yards or so. The Rams deserve some credit for sure, but even including those broken plays and scrambles the 9ers ended up at 3.6 YPC.

At the end of the day without those things you're left with the great draw from the 8 yard line, three or four 4-6 yard carries up the gut from Hyde and Draughn, and then you're left with 20+ carries that went for somewhere between -3 and 3 yards.

It's against a good defense and it could get better, but this is something a ton of people have been saying about Kelly's run game for awhile now, and it's what I saw in this game too. I of course hope I'm wrong.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM ]
This thread should be called snap judgements and Marvin's is Monday morning QB !
Share 49ersWebzone