LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Do we lack talent or continuity?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we lack talent or continuity?

We're missing talent at the most important position on the field.

Quarterback.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Bellicheck could come in as hc and we still wouldn't be making the playoffs, we need more talent... that talent needs to play together so the answer is both

Disagree. Belichik would have this team in the playoffs this season. Probably last season too.

Disagree with this. We have no talent at the WR position other than Torrey Smith (who is not at talented as his contract suggests) and we don't have a QB who can make up for offensive deficiencies. We would have had a s**tty offense last year regardless of who was coaching.

This year, our offensive line is improved at least, but we still have a sorry cast of receivers and no QB. We don't have a tremendous amount of talent on defense either and I was disappointed Buckner wasn't able to crack the starting lineup since I thought he could develop into one of our best defensive players in a year or two.

If we had Belicheck and the rest of the Patriots coaching staff and they had 2-3 years to coach all these players up then maybe we could go 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs. But with the current roster today, no way.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Quarterback.

This. Having a great QB can cover up a lot of weaknesses. I've never seen Mike McCarthy as a particularly great coach but when you have Favre and Rodgers as your QB's, it is a great equalizer. Bill Belichick is a great coach, no doubt about it but take away Brady and I don't think he's anywhere near as highly thought of. But when you take a great coach and combine them with a great QB, the result is dynamic.

What I would like to see is this team have some stability in the coaching ranks, stick with Kelly for a minimum of 4-5 years and see where that puts you. They need to be able to develop a coherent team identity and you don't get that changing coaches out all the time. Realistically they should have stuck with Harbaugh and given him at least a couple more years, but that is neither here nor now. Kelly is the guy, so give him time to get his system set, get him the players he needs, especially, hopefully, the QB that can run his offense at a high level.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Having a great QB can cover up a lot of weaknesses. I've never seen Mike McCarthy as a particularly great coach but when you have Favre and Rodgers as your QB's, it is a great equalizer. Bill Belichick is a great coach, no doubt about it but take away Brady and I don't think he's anywhere near as highly thought of. But when you take a great coach and combine them with a great QB, the result is dynamic.

What I would like to see is this team have some stability in the coaching ranks, stick with Kelly for a minimum of 4-5 years and see where that puts you. They need to be able to develop a coherent team identity and you don't get that changing coaches out all the time. Realistically they should have stuck with Harbaugh and given him at least a couple more years, but that is neither here nor now. Kelly is the guy, so give him time to get his system set, get him the players he needs, especially, hopefully, the QB that can run his offense at a high level.

Need a quality passing system for the new NFL too. Andrew Luck wasn't going to do anything going forward with the Stanford offense in Indy. Do need the QB tho.

Do think McCarthy is a very good OC with a real good system. That paired with Rodgers ability masks their mediocre defense that lacks more than a couple aging playmakers.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Need a quality passing system for the new NFL too. Andrew Luck wasn't going to do anything going forward with the Stanford offense in Indy. Do need the QB tho.

Do think McCarthy is a very good OC with a real good system. That paired with Rodgers ability masks their mediocre defense that lacks more than a couple aging playmakers.

Indy is a great example of what not to do after acquiring a top QB prospect. They brought in Luck, who I thought looked pretty good when Bruce Arians was running the offense, then they just never really bothered upgrading the OL or getting him a top quality runningback aside from an aging Frank Gore.
//
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Quarterback.

I would like to see this too. I don't care if the team wins 3-4 games this year - I think they'll give Kelly another chance and the team will improve. Winning 3-4 games and landing someone like Watson may be better for Kelly's career here than overachieving this year and winning 7-8 games. Finding a QB is critical right now before we're forced to spend money in free agency and improve the roster.
We lack everything.
Continuity can be built quickly with the right coach, but replacing elite players is a very iffy proposition. Justin Smith, Willis, and Aldon Smith departing left huge holes in the D that will take time to fill. It may take better players at more positions rather than elite players at those three.

QB...just don't see any answer for this except throwing spaghetti at the wall as Kelly did in Philadelphia. I doubt Kaepernick, Gabbert or Ponder are answers. The number one pick in the draft is not starting for the Rams...he isn't even going to be suiting up! So trading up is also a very questionable solution. 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and two third rounders...for a guy who won't be on the field though healthy.

QB is the most difficult fix, after HC. I believe Kelly might be a good fit with the niners.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Continuity can be built quickly with the right coach, but replacing elite players is a very iffy proposition. Justin Smith, Willis, and Aldon Smith departing left huge holes in the D that will take time to fill. It may take better players at more positions rather than elite players at those three.

QB...just don't see any answer for this except throwing spaghetti at the wall as Kelly did in Philadelphia. I doubt Kaepernick, Gabbert or Ponder are answers. The number one pick in the draft is not starting for the Rams...he isn't even going to be suiting up! So trading up is also a very questionable solution. 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and two third rounders...for a guy who won't be on the field though healthy.

QB is the most difficult fix, after HC. I believe Kelly might be a good fit with the niners.

Which is why is dangerous when you pigeonhole what you are going to do in the draft based on need. Seems the Rams determined they were going to get their QB at any cost. Now perhaps they really do think Goff is that franchise guy but to me it was still quite the risk. With the potential of Watson Kizer and Falk I think we can get one guy I could at least feel good about.
Both. Although both are improving daily

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Which is why is dangerous when you pigeonhole what you are going to do in the draft based on need. Seems the Rams determined they were going to get their QB at any cost. Now perhaps they really do think Goff is that franchise guy but to me it was still quite the risk. With the potential of Watson Kizer and Falk I think we can get one guy I could at least feel good about.

Agree...which is why I hope Kelly uses his method of sifting QBs here. Looks like that's the way he's starting. Now we can either hope we lose and have a high pick or hope a QB slides.
Talent mostly. Having one of the worst GM's in the NFL will do that to a team.
We will know soon enough.
4 coaches in 6 years.

Recipe for success.
I think we should wait until some games are played this season to find out what they lack.
Share 49ersWebzone