LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

All Things Greg Cossell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You may not like him, but he's been accurate way more than not. Annoying ass laugh.
9/7:
Keenam - Fisher has always played with a "safe" offense. Keenam's job is to be efficient but it's going to be all Gurley. Maybe some shots on 1st down which is what Fisher does. 3rd and 9, they most likely run a draw play or screen. We will be playing an offense that most likely will not turn it over and will play it safe.

Rams Pass Rush - Front 7 is very fast on defense but they will most likely be in a nickel due to Kelly offense. Rams defense is a fast group. Their NT (6'6" 325) is has good speed, underrated.

Gabbert - He thinks Kap is going to play this year. Gabbert missed too many easy throws in preseason. Kap will end up taking over soon this season. Kelly won't accept 3-13 and if something isn't working on offense, then he won't hesitate to replace players if they are not able to execute the offense. [In the past, his main beef with Gabbert has been that he doesn't think he steps into throws...basically thinks he plays scared. As most, just not a believer.]

Kap - executed some throws but he did run around too much. A lot of quick/one read stuff in the offense which is good for Kap and Gabbert. Really feels Kap is going to play this season.

Starting DL - interesting that Buckner is not labeled as a starter.

OL - likes Trenton Brown but he doesn't think he can be effective due to the requirement to move a lot when blocking.

ILB - surprised about the shared role between Ray Ray and Hodges. He likes Ray Ray.

OLB - Eli Harold was drafted to be a pass rusher so there's a lot on his plate. He needs to show what he can do this year.

Started talking Raiders and who cares.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
You may not like him, but he's been accurate way more than not. Annoying ass laugh.
9/7:
Keenam - Fisher has always played with a "safe" offense. Keenam's job is to be efficient but it's going to be all Gurley. Maybe some shots on 1st down which is what Fisher does. 3rd and 9, they most likely run a draw play or screen. We will be playing an offense that most likely will not turn it over and will play it safe.

Rams Pass Rush - Front 7 is very fast on defense but they will most likely be in a nickel due to Kelly offense. Rams defense is a fast group. Their NT (6'6" 325) is has good speed, underrated.

Gabbert - He thinks Kap is going to play this year. Gabbert missed too many easy throws in preseason. Kap will end up taking over soon this season. Kelly won't accept 3-13 and if something isn't working on offense, then he won't hesitate to replace players if they are not able to execute the offense. [In the past, his main beef with Gabbert has been that he doesn't think he steps into throws...basically thinks he plays scared. As most, just not a believer.]

Kap - executed some throws but he did run around too much. A lot of quick/one read stuff in the offense which is good for Kap and Gabbert. Really feels Kap is going to play this season.

Starting DL - interesting that Buckner is not labeled as a starter.

OL - likes Trenton Brown but he doesn't think he can be effective due to the requirement to move a lot when blocking.

ILB - surprised about the shared role between Ray Ray and Hodges. He likes Ray Ray.

OLB - Eli Harold was drafted to be a pass rusher so there's a lot on his plate. He needs to show what he can do this year.

Started talking Raiders and who cares.

[b]

I was reading an article about Brown where Von Miller said he's one toughest tackles he's played against, that he gives him problems. There's a reason Anthony Davis moved to RG.

Also, watching Hard Knocks, I can see why the Rams are perpetually 7-9, 8-8. Jeff Fisher has zero fire, doesn't seem like a motivator at all.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Sep 7, 2016 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
[b]

I was reading an article about Brown where Von Miller said he's one toughest tackles he's played against, that he gives him problems. There's a reason Anthony Davis moved to RG.

Yup. Von also said he thought Brown was one of the best Tackles in the league already. That's high praise.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SofaKing:
[b]

Yup. Von also said he thought Brown was one of the best Tackles in the league already. That's high praise.

Yup high praise indeed, hope he can live up to it.
Originally posted by susweel:

I hope so, we need some of these recent draft picks to be studs. Sounds like he just needs to keep his conditioning in check. Cosell has pointed out some inconsistencies with him, but also said he's got better athleticism than he thought and he's very tough to beat in pass pro because of his size and long arms. Staley said he's got Jonathan Ogden like ability.

I hope so, we need some of these recent draft picks to be studs. Sounds like he just needs to keep his conditioning in check. Cosell has pointed out some inconsistencies with him, but also said he's got better athleticism than he thought and he's very tough to beat in pass pro because of his size and long arms. Staley said he's got Jonathan Ogden like ability.

That's high praise. I've had a few chances to hang out with Ogden. Great guy and the BIGGEST mother f**ker I've ever seen next to Shaq! I'm not a small dude ( 6'2 245) and I feel like a little b***h when he gives me dap. Corey Stringer was huge like that too.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Sep 7, 2016 at 12:02 PM ]
That's high praise. I've had a few chances to hang out with Ogden. Great guy and the BIGGEST mother f**ker I've ever seen next to Shaq! I'm not a small dude ( 6'2 245) and I feel like a little b***h when he gives me dap. Corey Stringer was huge like that too.

Yup, the Ogden comment got me really excited. That guy is one of the best ever, and Staley is not one to BS..

Yup, the Ogden comment got me really excited. That guy is one of the best ever, and Staley is not one to BS..

Exactly. I trust what Staley has to say more than the coaches. Hahaha!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

How do you know all these big men ?
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Didn't Cosell say Goff was better then Winston and Mariotta?

Cossell interview yesterday:

Dial: Played well
Brooks: really likes his role to have a chance to line up anywhere instead of sticking to one spot.
R. Robinson: played well. Thinks Davis is going to lose his job because of Robinson. Compares him to Aqib Talib.

OL:
Tempo: Rams had issues with the tempo offense right from the start. Negated the speed and quickness of the Rams DL.

Overall: It's only one game. 1st game gives more time to prepare so this isn't an excuse for the Rams because they had plenty of time to prepare for the Chip Kelly offense. So did the 49ers. But the 49ers had an impressive victory. They did that last year but there's some good things to build on.

Gabberts: Very erratic. Made 2 big time throws in the 4th. He missed a lot. He still plays too fast. Missed Kearly on that deep route because he rushes himself. He doesn't set his feet due to this. He needs to be better with ball placement. Main point is that he rushes himself.

Chip Kelly offense: Article about how simplistic it is and never evolving (that one long one that was posted here last week) - depends on point of view. Some great running games were very simplistic (Joe Gibbs)...same plays out of different looks. Same with Greg Roman. #1 element in Chip's offense is tempo. Not a lot of concepts but you can't have those if you play fast. Everything has pros and cons. Tends to agree that the offense won't work in the long run. But, he doesn't have enough talent at WR to give it a fair assessment. Put Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson in there, then it will most likely work.

http://www.knbr.com/football-news-podcasts/

Interesting how KNBR hasn't posted the Chip Kelly interview with Kelly and Murph getting into it a little.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Gabbert: Very erratic. Made 2 big time throws in the 4th. He missed a lot. He still plays too fast. Missed Kearly on that deep route because he rushes himself. He doesn't set his feet due to this. He needs to be better with ball placement.

Exactly what Ive been saying. He doesnt stop bouncing when he throws resulting in wildly off target passes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM ]
Thanks for posting Joe. Cossell is on point. Love his insight. For those that have the KNBR app, his segments should saved on there
Also its Cosell, not Cossell.
"I thought Jimmy O'Neil did a great, great job," Cosell said. "What really stood out was all the different personnel packages, all of the versatility of the defensive linemen. I thought Quinton Dial had a tremendous game. He played nose tackle in the 3-4, defensive end in the 3-4, snaps at defensive tackle in the sub packages. (O'Neil) moved Armstead all around.

"That tells me not only is he teaching it well, but the players are responding very well. Because that stuff takes time. And there were no major busts."

Cosell said he's raised his expectations for 32-year-old outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who has never been used like O'Neil will use him in this scheme.

"He was utilized as a matchup pass rusher in the sub packages," Cosell said. "People have always talked about his talent. And he's never truly been a pass rusher, where you said, wow that guys a great edge rusher. Now he's being used as what we call a joker, where they moved him all-around, he stands up. I think he has a chance to be a really good player."

Cosell praised Chip Kelly too, noting that in the second snap of the game, the Rams were already having communication problems with the hurry-up tempo.

"It clearly had the Rams off balance at times," Cosell said. "There were many snaps the Rams were just getting set as the ball was snapped. To me, this game was a textbook example of when (Kelly's system) works properly."

Share 49ersWebzone