LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

WR is our main weakness

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's talking about the tiny receivers. Those one's that are shorter than 6'0" and are usually in the slot and kick returning.

What tiny receivers do the 49ers have right now other than Kerley?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's talking about the tiny receivers. Those one's that are shorter than 6'0" and are usually in the slot and kick returning.

What tiny receivers do the 49ers have right now other than Kerley?

Kerley is the only smurf we got, Ellington, too, but he's on IR.
Originally posted by 707Niners:
I don't believe QB is .

No QB on this roster would be starting for any other team in the NFL. Nobody is better than backup caliber. Just because Kelly has managed to get by with less than stellar QBs doesnt mean his offense couldnt be a lot more explosive if he had a true top notch passer.

I'm sure Bill Walsh could have gotten by with lesser passers but I doubt that they or the team would have been anywhere near as successful as Montana was.

It'd be a shame to not see what Kelly's offense could look like with an outstanding QB at the helm.

I disagree. There are plenty of so-so QBs around the league that get by with strong supporting casts. I'd say that Gabbert is a so-so QB. Maybe below average (until proven otherwise). He was serviceable behind the worst OL in the league last year. I expect he'll be much better behind an improved OL.

This group of WRs is the worst we have fielded since Brandon Lloyd and Arnez Battle. I've never been very impressed with Torrey Smith. Kind of a one-trick pony. Patton has yet to prove anything.

Really pathetic that Baalke didn't trade for somebody or use all that cap space to get at least 1 decent possession receiver this offseason.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I'm happier with our current WR than I was last week. We need to keep it as is for continuity of Chips system until we add a WR that we know is going to be with team for a while.
Disappointed with that this group ended up becoming. I hope they surprise during the season, but right now it doesn't look good. Was really hoping to see Ellington, Rogers, and Smelter on the 53 when all was said and done. None of them made it through the pre-season healthy, Smelter is not even on the team anymore. I think we bungled this group badly, but did well to pick up Kerley and Streater.
WR is worse than OLB?
You find that our WR issue isn't the biggest issue but mainly on the one who delivers the package. The QB is our biggest issue, not WR.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I disagree. There are plenty of so-so QBs around the league that get by

49ers dont even have a so-so QB. That said, how many of those so-so QBs ever win anything without an incredibly dominant defense. You either have that defense which you will struggle to keep together long or you have a top QB that allows you to stay consistently competitive.

I think the priority needs to be QB and finding that guy who makes everyone around them better rather than being happy just to get by with the so-so guy.
I feel like Patton is going to have a very good year. Better than Torrey
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Disappointed with that this group ended up becoming. I hope they surprise during the season, but right now it doesn't look good. Was really hoping to see Ellington, Rogers, and Smelter on the 53 when all was said and done. None of them made it through the pre-season healthy, Smelter is not even on the team anymore. I think we bungled this group badly, but did well to pick up Kerley and Streater.

This. I was really hoping to see Ellington & Rogers in this offense this year

WR
QB
OLB

thise are our weakest positions in order
Go grab McRoberts off the Rams practice squad
No! Our main weakness is a dysfunctional owner and GM
I think they will sign a "vested vet" like James Jones or Givens or Reuben Randell or Jerome Simpson, etc after the first game. If they sign vested veteran before the first game his entire years salary is 100% guaranteed. If they sign him after the first game only 25% of is annual salary is guaranteed. So they will likely sign a vet sometime after the first game.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I disagree. There are plenty of so-so QBs around the league that get by

49ers dont even have a so-so QB. That said, how many of those so-so QBs ever win anything without an incredibly dominant defense. You either have that defense which you will struggle to keep together long or you have a top QB that allows you to stay consistently competitive.

I think the priority needs to be QB and finding that guy who makes everyone around them better rather than being happy just to get by with the so-so guy.

I was just saying that our WR corp looks worse than our QBs right now. They both need to be improved. But if you compare the strength of our QBs to other teams around the league and then compare or WRs to other teams around the league.... WRs are much worse.
Share 49ersWebzone