WR is our main weakness

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Current WR's
1. Torrey Smith
2. Quentin Patton
3. Jeremy Kerley
4. Rod Streater
5. Aaron Burbridge

Were primarily going to be a running team which is good, especially with the much improved O-Line, but with no Playmaking WR's on the outside thats going to hurt us with Good Defenses. I actually like what Baalke did getting Kerley & Streater. Kerley is a very shifty slot reciever who knows how to find the holes in the D and Streater when he was healthy was putting up good numbers with a very depleated Oakland team, but with all that said i think going in to the season with 5 WR's is a bad decision. I can already tell Chip plans on using our TE's (McDonald & Celek) a lot, which excites me because of their size and speed, and thats an instant mismatch, but we still need another veteran WR for an insurance policy, so this is what i propose.

Proposed WR's
1. Torrey Smith
2. James Jones
3. Quentin Patton
4. Jeremey Kerley
5. Rod Streater
6. Aaron Burbridge
No sense in bringing in a guy like Jones who is up there in years and has been let go by 3 teams in the past year.

I'd much rather they invest in one of the younger receivers that was cut recently such as Geronimo Allison or Keyarris Garrett. Big, physical receivers that can develop and grow with the team.
You're absolutely right in that WR is one of our weaker positions on offense. A weakness, along with QB, that will need to be addressed in the next draft and those drafts moving forward until we get it right.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Actually QB is but wr is 2nd.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No sense in bringing in a guy like Jones who is up there in years and has been let go by 3 teams in the past year.

I'd much rather they invest in one of the younger receivers that was cut recently such as Geronimo Allison or Keyarris Garrett. Big, physical receivers that can develop and grow with the team.

This, bring in Garrett smh
I agree with signing James Jones (unless he has some injury I don't know about) or another good vet

Last year in 2015 he had good numbers: 50 catches 890 yards 17.8 yards/catch 8 TD's

Because he is a "vested veteran" I think that they are waiting until after the first game. If they sign him before the first game his entire years salary is 100% guaranteed. If they sign him after the first game only 25% of is annual salary is guaranteed. So they will likely sign a vet sometime after the first game.
Originally posted by susweel:

You right
Originally posted by susweel:

I don't believe QB is, in this offense you don't need to be a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning...Gabbert is still young and has a lot to improve on...age 26.... He has led a TD drive in all the pre-season games. Im not saying he's gonna go out and put up ridiculous numbers but he has shown he has the scrambling capabilities to escape the pocket when it breaks down and has developed a nice repertoire with the TE's and T. Smith.
Originally posted by 707Niners:
I don't believe QB is .

No QB on this roster would be starting for any other team in the NFL. Nobody is better than backup caliber. Just because Kelly has managed to get by with less than stellar QBs doesnt mean his offense couldnt be a lot more explosive if he had a true top notch passer.

I'm sure Bill Walsh could have gotten by with lesser passers but I doubt that they or the team would have been anywhere near as successful as Montana was.

It'd be a shame to not see what Kelly's offense could look like with an outstanding QB at the helm.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM ]
Gonna run the ball 40xs a game lol

2017 go after WR/QB heavy

• cciowa
  • Veteran
I like the two vets we picked up . am willing to see what happens here
Originally posted by cciowa:
I like the two vets we picked up . am willing to see what happens here

This. Was hoping to find another young guy to pick up but will just have to see how these guys work out
Our best WR is a 2nd WR

And our best QB is a back up QB.

Our QB is going to make our WRs look worse than they are
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Exactly, go young and promising.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I actually like the group of receivers that are on the 53 right now. A good mix of possession and speed.

Hoping Quinton Patton can finally solidify himself in the starting line up.
Share 49ersWebzone