LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Preseason Week 4 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I really hope Garrison Smith makes the team. Over Jerod-Eddie or Purcell, I just hope they keep him!

Kerley is going to lead this team in receptions. He isn't great but we needed a solid, veteran, professional WR and we got one. He will catch 50-60 passes and sadly lead the team.

Rashard Robinson really looks like he is on his way to becoming a player. If he stays focused, he could be a real special player in a year or two.

Ronald Blair is a player right now! What a steal!

Marcus Rush has to make the team... RIGHT?

Been a big Kelvin Taylor fan and last night he finally started showing why I think he could be a poor man's Frank Gore. I would cut Harris and keep him.

I would add Burbridge to the list of guys who played well and should make the team.

I was with you till the bolded one. Harris has looked far better than Taylor.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
where is this guy?

I don't think he's there yet. Still needs to put more weight on, still getting back into the swing of it. Couldn't workout all offseason, couldn't do much in minicamps, then had arm soreness which slowed him down even more. I think he'll get back there, but it'll take time.
Noticed that too. 6th year and still can't read a D full of scrubs.

Not to mention his mechanics. Just fkn horrible. Dude looked like Tebow out there and to top it off, when he ran, he looked slow as hell. No where near the speed he once had.

His accuracy and mechanics have always been off but I've never seen him that hesitant to run before. There was one play where he could have easily picked up a 1st and more and instead he started running sideways and then dove to try and get the 1st. Old Kaepernick would have been 20 yards downfield.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Noticed that too. 6th year and still can't read a D full of scrubs.

Not to mention his mechanics. Just fkn horrible. Dude looked like Tebow out there and to top it off, when he ran, he looked slow as hell. No where near the speed he once had.

His accuracy and mechanics have always been off but I've never seen him that hesitant to run before. There was one play where he could have easily picked up a 1st and more and instead he started running sideways and then dove to try and get the 1st. Old Kaepernick would have been 20 yards downfield.

Yeah noticed that too. Preseason? Still not confident in his injuries? Dunno...seems much more contact averse early on here.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Kap was throwing to his first read and pretty much locked in on that guy on every throw. Almost cost him two picks but luckily it was 3-4th string defenders. But did play well enough not to get cut, so improvement?

The first read was there...so not sure if that really says anything.

I don't buy the first one was almost pick. He gunned it in there and that safety who was near the ball on both plays looks pretty damn good.

I think Kap is behind. I still think he's rusty. I still think he gain a lot of weight during the season so we aren't yet seeing what he can be in this offense. My guess is he rides the bench for at least the first month of the season and if Gabbert struggles or gets hurt Kap gets his shot.

My guess is also that if Gabbert struggles ad bad as many fear people will be BEGGING for Kap to get another shot.

He was doing the same things last year. This is just who he is. An athlete playing QB. People always beg for the backup QB. People still bring up "We want Carr!" doesn't make it the correct call. But in a Chip Kelly offense i don't see Gabbert struggling enough to get benched.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think that was just him not realizing where he was on the field.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I applaud you for your extensive analysis of QB play and different scenarios in QB ratings. I dont think anyone ever has put that much effort into a 4th preseason game.

Than you sir
Originally posted by susweel:
I applaud you for your extensive analysis of QB play and different scenarios in QB ratings. I dont think anyone ever has put that much effort into a 4th preseason game.

Than you sir

Marvin doing his thing as usual, always a good read.
where is this guy?

Too busy eating broccoli and skipping leg day
where is this guy?

The DE no longer takes the inside route to the QB and exposes the edge to Kaepernick. They've taken that play away.

Kap was throwing to his first read and pretty much locked in on that guy on every throw. Almost cost him two picks but luckily it was 3-4th string defenders. But did play well enough not to get cut, so improvement?

Go look at Blaine's video he's was doing a lot of the same.

The first read was there...so not sure if that really says anything.

I don't buy the first one was almost pick. He gunned it in there and that safety who was near the ball on both plays looks pretty damn good.

I think Kap is behind. I still think he's rusty. I still think he gain a lot of weight during the season so we aren't yet seeing what he can be in this offense. My guess is he rides the bench for at least the first month of the season and if Gabbert struggles or gets hurt Kap gets his shot.

My guess is also that if Gabbert struggles ad bad as many fear people will be BEGGING for Kap to get another shot.

He was doing the same things last year. This is just who he is. An athlete playing QB. People always beg for the backup QB. People still bring up "We want Carr!" doesn't make it the correct call. But in a Chip Kelly offense i don't see Gabbert struggling enough to get benched.

I will concede Colin Kaepernick is not a top tier QB in the NFL and hasn't been for a couple of years. His 2015 season a complete disaster and there is a reason his career is in flux at the moment. Having said that, maybe its time to give him credit when he makes a good play. Football is a game of inches and very few people can fit the football into tight windows like Colin can. You slam Kaepernick for throwing into windows where the ball may be picked but fail to acknowledge that he wasn't picked off and that the ball was delivered on target to the WR. If Rodgers made that same throw you'd be saying, "wow, amazing throw."

I think his handling of his situation in SF has been pretty good this summer and he seems to have matured and, more importantly, relaxed a bit. Gabbert is going to start, but I'm fairly confident Kaepernick is going to get his shot before seasons end. Perhaps coming off the bench without as much pressure on his back will do him some good. I think CK's biggest problem is he needs to just calm down.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM ]
Thanks Marvin, as always it's nice to review the game without a lot of hyperbole and angst!

1) QB:

Driskel? He had his worst game at the worst possible time. I like the kid and would like to see him stick around, but he's got work to do. Ponder didn't look half bad, but my guess is he's unemployed by Sunday.
Agree with everything and was very disappointed Driskel had such a reversal of play. But he's a rookie drafted midrounds...so...

2) Mike Davis: Really like this guy. I even liked him last year when the poor guy kept getting caught in the backfield. So much effort, great body lean, lots of lateral speed...just seems to have it. Hoping to see a good amount of his this year...but not TOO much (Please stay Healthy Carlos).
Was ready to cut this guy after last year to keep Harris, Draughn and Taylor. Now? Love the guy and his work in the off season is really something for young players to heed.

5) Ronald Blair: This is becoming repetitive. Every single week. Dude looks to be a steal.
6) Rashard Robinson:
Two picks that surprised the heck out of me but this is why I'm not a GM in the NFL! LOL!

7) Garrison Smith: Dude needs to make the team. Glad to see a guy at that position playing well as its needed badly.
Agree and hope his health is better than the other DL the niners are playing in the middle--they need a guy who can be depended on all year. If so, he is likely a long term backup at worst.

9) Marcus Rush: I've been doubting this guy from the start. No more. I gotta give it up. I still have concerns about his all around game, but that guy has some "want-to you just can't teach. I think he played Lemonier right off the team. Good for him for making the most of his chances.
Torn here...much of his productivity was due to hustle and tenacity but that tends to be more difficult once the season begins, playing against better quality players. Every year there are some guys who shine against the third and fourth stringers.

10) Kaps Protest: I was happy to see Kap do something many of us should do more of. Not only did he make his statement. He did what he is asking others to do. Listen.
Anyone who saw or heard the interview with the Green Beret guest of Kaepernick or Eric Reid should understand that while you can dismiss CK as a punk, you would be missing the point. He is sincere and seeking alternative views to better his message. He took a knee last night after Nate Boyer told him that Berets often do this to show respect for fallen comrades. I really appreciate the effort he's making and to have a knee jerk reaction against him is unnecessary.

Football. Season. Is. Here. :D

Thank heavens!
On that fourth and one run by Harris I was laughing at his happy feet before he got the ball handed off to him. He really is quick as hell and gets to the outside quickly. He needs to work on his ball security as does Mike Davis but both are quick shifty and make plays. They both are great after contact as well. As much as I would like to keep Taylor I think we should try to stash them on the practice squad and keep Draughn. If not release Draughn bc Hyde Davis Harris and Taylor are great as well
[ Edited by elguapo on Sep 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM ]
Feels like football is really "back" with Marvin's "thoughts on rewatching". I pretty much agree with everything you/he said. I do wonder which running backs are going to make the team. Maybe there hasn't been enough reps to tell, but who seems to be better as a receiver? With Kelly's offense that seems like it is an important thing for a running back to be good at.
Share 49ersWebzone