LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

49ers Preseason Week 4 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by Lurker:
I was thinking that DeAndrew White had the edge over Dres Anderson but after this game I am not sure. Anyone have an opinion on that?

The only way D. White now makes the team if they end up deciding to put Smelter on the PS. If not i think they keep both Smelter N Anderson on the active 53 man roster.
Does smelter even have a reception ?

White and Dres making it fo sho
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Foles was fine for a season when nobody really had tape on him or Kelly's offense. He was lousy his second season and comes with many of the weaknesses as Kaepernick, long delivery, slow processing, inconsistent accuracy and poor pocket awareness.

Sanchez wasnt any less turnover prone with Philly, he still threw a high number of interceptions.

Bradford looked good but is also a former #1 pick that had terrible support with St Louis and was basically thrown to the wolves.

He was not lousy. 1. No one was going to live up to that first season. 2. He was 12th in QBR & Philly was 6-2 in his starts. 3. He was hurt so not sure how the season ends for him if hes healthy.
2nd year watching the 49ers, and it is by far the most relaxed i have seen kap on the field. great signs.
post press conference is impressive, and is night and day from last years petulant "i didnt think i needed a breather" (after being benched).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8NsXLLV1E

he seems genuinely passionate, and i hope this newfound confidence and maturity will translate to the football field.
Originally posted by jcs:
I like Dres more but it's not like we are picking between star Wr's here, both are #4 or lower on the depth chart of most teams if they weren't here. Dres does look like he can get open though and that's worth something.

He's shown reliable hands, White has droped a bunch of passes. The team also has nothing invested in White whereas they drafted Burbridge and Smelter.

Smelter is also the sort of big bodied possession receiver with run blocking ability that Kelly covets. If they think he will be healthy they might stick with him as the #6 WR.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
The only way D. White now makes the team if they end up deciding to put Smelter on the PS. If not i think they keep both Smelter N Anderson on the active 53 man roster.

White is a lock to make the team. Smelter either goes on IR or they release him and get him on the PS. Dres Anderson and Burbridge are battling it out for a roster spot IMO
Originally posted by Jcool:
He was not lousy. 1. No one was going to live up to that first season. 2. He was 12th in QBR & Philly was 6-2 in his starts. 3. He was hurt so not sure how the season ends for him if hes healthy.

Call it whatever you like, he regressed tremendously. Completion percentage went from about 64% to 59%, QB rating dropped from 119 to 81. He wound up with 13 TD's and 10 INT's, even if he played out a full season those aren't great numbers. Looking past the stats, he was just bad, he missed wide open receivers, he left a lot of yards and points out on the field, he struggled with his accuracy and he simply wasn't close to the same player he had been in that first year. Since then he's been benched and cut by the Rams so his career trajectory certainly isn't going in the right direction.

Many of his limitations are similar to those that Kaepernick has struggled with. An elongated delivery that gives defenders a chance to jump routes. Inconsistent accuracy, struggles on shorter routes, processes things slowly and doesn't have very good pocket awareness, prone to panicking and throwing off his back foot, a lot of these tendencies were on display when the Eagles met the 49ers in 2014 and he was highly ineffective.

I don't ever see him being a starter again, he had that one flash in the pan year, that Steve DeBerg year but doesn't possess the QB fundamentals or aptitude to be a consistent top notch starter in the NFL and I'm sure that was a big part of the Eagles decision to trade him and a 2nd round pick for Bradford who certainly hadn't been tearing the league up either.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/14/8135931/eagles-nick-foles-sam-bradford-trade-move-on-tape-all-22-film-rams

Early in his season he scrambled from clean pockets, threw off his back foot, did not see open receivers and his deep passes were poor. And his short passes too.

In the middle of his season he was better about scrambling from a clean pocket, but still threw off his back foot, did not see open receivers and his deep and short passes were poor.

And at the end of his season he again scrambled from clean pockets, threw off his back foot, did not see open receivers and his deep and short passes were poor.

Every player has a bad game now and then. But throughout the season, Foles never corrected any of these mistakes. It would be one thing if he had a bad stretch. But this was a bad season. Yes, the offense wasn't catching anyone by surprise this season, there were injuries and subtractions, and the running game wasn't as good. If Nick Foles needs a strong offensive line, a strong running game, a particular style of position coach, a top tier deep threat and an offense that no one has seen before to succeed.... then the Eagles were absolutely right to move on from him.

But even when he had all those things, the mistakes were still there. In 2013 he had a healthy, strong offensive line. He had a dominant running game. He had DeSean Jackson on the field and Bill Lazor on the sideline. And the offense was new.

And yet, he still made the same mistakes he did this season.

Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
The Denver radio guys say Kap is our best QB and it's not even questionable. Not saying they are right but seems like 49er fans are the only one who say Gabbert is the better QB. But that's because we watch the niners more.

This...I've been listening to NFL network ESPN and 90% of analyst and other fan bases who don't have anything to gain or lose all say Kap is the better choice...it's still a poor choice and Blaine will get first crack at it based on reps and health IMO. IF he blows it out of the water awesome just see a lot of blah from him this yr.

just reps and health? how about played better last year. Is a better leader, think Im wrong ask the locker room. And has performed in preseason which kaep has never done!

You're wrong! From everything that's being written and quoted today it looks like Kaep has Actually brought this team CLOSER together.

I hope that's sarcasm. It's the same team that remembers Kap being divisive and aloof, bangin Aldon's girl, etc.
Foles was fine for a season when nobody really had tape on him or Kelly's offense. He was lousy his second season and comes with many of the weaknesses as Kaepernick, long delivery, slow processing, inconsistent accuracy and poor pocket awareness.

Sanchez wasnt any less turnover prone with Philly, he still threw a high number of interceptions.

Bradford looked good but is also a former #1 pick that had terrible support with St Louis and was basically thrown to the wolves.

Kelly did more with less but its not like these guys suddenly got great. Foles had one awesome season and then went off a cliff. Sanchez played almost average and that alone stunned people and Bradford had a ln offense and system that for the first time really gave him a chance to succeed.

I never said Kap would be a long term success we are talking about who's could be better this yr with chip and I'm leaning towards Kap...most people can agree we don't have the future QB on this team currently.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Kelly did more with less but its not like these guys suddenly got great. Foles had one awesome season and then went off a cliff. Sanchez played almost average and that alone stunned people and Bradford had a ln offense and system that for the first time really gave him a chance to succeed.

I never said Kap would be a long term success we are talking about who's could be better this yr with chip and I'm leaning towards Kap...most people can agree we don't have the future QB on this team currently.

I think the point when it comes to Colin is that he is a #2 QB with huge upside. Ponder we know and Driskel looked so out of place he should be nowhere near an NFL field for a while (if ever).
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
10) Kaps Protest: I was happy to see Kap do something many of us should do more of. Not only did he make his statement. He did what he is asking others to do. Listen.
Anyone who saw or heard the interview with the Green Beret guest of Kaepernick or Eric Reid should understand that while you can dismiss CK as a punk, you would be missing the point. He is sincere and seeking alternative views to better his message. He took a knee last night after Nate Boyer told him that Berets often do this to show respect for fallen comrades. I really appreciate the effort he's making and to have a knee jerk reaction against him is unnecessary.
I believe Kaepernick had been listening to the wrong people about an important issue. As a result, last week he sounded like a silly HS kid trying to copy what he had read on the internet. Clearly, he has had some better advice this week and made a good attempt to cover the little piles he left laying around last week.

I also believe Eric Reid came alongside to both help provide cover for Kaepernick as a teammate but also get the focus off Kaepernick and on to the topic that needs to be discussed.

All of that will help the team, and the 'zone, get back to football.

I don't agree with that at all. Quite the opposite is occurring actually. While Kaep is listening to other opinions, it sure as hell doesn't look like any of those same right-fighters are listening to his.

For example, if it really is the case a cop has less education than a cosmotologist then that's an issue I don't think anybody should have a problem with.

I agree with your assessment that this seems to have galvanized the locker room in a positive way. We should also applaud how Kelly's handled this situation.

I'll be in the Parking Lot if you want to talk about social commentary.

You're the one who brought it up in the first place so spare the attitude.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 2, 2016 at 8:19 PM ]

Originally posted by NJNiner:
Just watched the second half and I have to say it's encouraging that Kap was smiling on the sideline for the first time in ages.

This was very nice to see
Kaepernnick hasn't been a decent quarterback for a couple of years, he is not even close to being the QB that some people
here think he is. He has virtually no confidence in any throw that he makes, Apparently I see things that nobody else sees.
I am 70 now and have been a niner fan since about 1953, that's a lot of football folks. I love it when people dismiss any comments
I make here. I have stated before that I am convinced that Colin has lost his ability to rely on his muscle memory. It happens to
people in all sports, I have outlined the symptoms before. My favorite reference is when people refer to it as the YIPS. Unbelievable.
This concept has been studied for over 100 years, commencing with scholars trying to figure out why "golfers" had their games
crumble into a well of despair, not being able to make gimme shots.
Baseball, basketball,tennis,golf, to mention a few, we can all make references to people who have had sudden, unexplained, weird,
tragic even, collapses in their ability to do that which was once automatic.
I'll put my money on confidence, or lack thereof. There is no other factor to account for it. We all take muscle memory for granted.
My favorite Kap play is, a bit of pressure, he rolls to his right, he never looks back cross field, he does see somebody down the right
sideline and he knows that if he tries to hit a receiver with any coverage his lack of accuracy will be a liability, soooooo, he throws the
ball where only an out of bounds reporter , a player on the sideline, or spectator can catch the ball, out of bounds by a few yards, but
in his own mind, he DID NOT THROW AN INTERCEPTION WHICH IN HIS OWN MIND IS GOOD, BECAUSE HE IS NOW A GAME
MANAGER, but he also doesn't have the ability to throw downfield. If I remember correctly , Colin went two years without one preseason
drive or touchdown, at which time he was removed from the game so he would not get injured??? Now, with 3rd and 8, he scampers from
the pocket under the slightest pressure, he runs 6 yards, and sees a potential tackler, and runs out of bounds after gaining the 6, but the
niners have to punt anyway. I was praying for him to do something really brave like take a bit of contact. After all a small safety isn't going
to level him, he makes me sick.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by keithhr:
Kaepernnick hasn't been a decent quarterback for a couple of years, he is not even close to being the QB that some people
here think he is. He has virtually no confidence in any throw that he makes, Apparently I see things that nobody else sees.
I am 70 now and have been a niner fan since about 1953, that's a lot of football folks. I love it when people dismiss any comments
I make here. I have stated before that I am convinced that Colin has lost his ability to rely on his muscle memory. It happens to
people in all sports, I have outlined the symptoms before. My favorite reference is when people refer to it as the YIPS. Unbelievable.
This concept has been studied for over 100 years, commencing with scholars trying to figure out why "golfers" had their games
crumble into a well of despair, not being able to make gimme shots.
Baseball, basketball,tennis,golf, to mention a few, we can all make references to people who have had sudden, unexplained, weird,
tragic even, collapses in their ability to do that which was once automatic.
I'll put my money on confidence, or lack thereof. There is no other factor to account for it. We all take muscle memory for granted.
My favorite Kap play is, a bit of pressure, he rolls to his right, he never looks back cross field, he does see somebody down the right
sideline and he knows that if he tries to hit a receiver with any coverage his lack of accuracy will be a liability, soooooo, he throws the
ball where only an out of bounds reporter , a player on the sideline, or spectator can catch the ball, out of bounds by a few yards, but
in his own mind, he DID NOT THROW AN INTERCEPTION WHICH IN HIS OWN MIND IS GOOD, BECAUSE HE IS NOW A GAME
MANAGER, but he also doesn't have the ability to throw downfield. If I remember correctly , Colin went two years without one preseason
drive or touchdown, at which time he was removed from the game so he would not get injured??? Now, with 3rd and 8, he scampers from
the pocket under the slightest pressure, he runs 6 yards, and sees a potential tackler, and runs out of bounds after gaining the 6, but the
niners have to punt anyway. I was praying for him to do something really brave like take a bit of contact. After all a small safety isn't going
to level him, he makes me sick.

I get those criticisms and they are warranted.

He did have a good first drive on Friday. It is the best he has played since 2014.

However, it is true that he is not really doing much with long passes downfield. Just short sharp ones to get the first down or running it himself. He needs to get the passing game better in this regard if he is going to go forward.
Goatie,
god love ya, you are the first person here who has not totally dismissed my observations, and I thank you for that. I don't write stuff just to see what it looks like
in print, and yes, his first drive took me back a couple of years ago when the read option was a revelation, take a look at my profile, I go back to Hugh Mcelhenny, leo nomellini, bob st. clair and the great hardy brown , once listed as one of the top feared hitters in the nfl, and a writer compared Hardy to Jack Tatum "they call me assassin" as a seller of girl scout cookies by comparison . They had Joe the jet perry, billy wilson, gordy soltau, bob st. clair, YA title, etc.
I go back further, with, clear thoughts than many here on the forum have been alive.
I remember Colin, last year, under pressure, wide angle tv shot and , low and behold, directly above him in the same shot was Jarryd Hayne, one of the greatest
runners in any sport carrying a ball without blockers, the proverbial safety valve player, twice in one series, Colin never looked up and was sacked yet once again.
and I'll be honest, I can now barely stand watching him on a football field. I believe that, with help from someone, ( i'm thinking Dr Edwards) has given him a
way to create a monster distraction in his favor, a great equalizer of sorts. We have a huge problem to be sure, black lives matter, all lives matter, but where did
this sudden desire to stand up come from? Anybody watching the 2016 espy's surely will laud the 4 nba great basketball players who stood up at the beginning of
the show and gave a gorgeous,, eloquent, moving talk, truly memorable.
I believe that Kap couldn't go to Denver or any other place for that matter that would find him out sooner. At least here, there are distant memories of him
playing before he lost HIS ABILITY TO ACCESS HIS MUSCLE MEMORY.
Share 49ersWebzone