LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

Would you rather endure a year of suck, for potential long term success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you rather endure a year of suck, for potential long term success?

I think this team is currently in no man's land this season. We have talent that excites me along the front lines but we are also void of play makers. Would you rather play competitive football and wind up 7-9 or 8-8 seriously hurting your draft potential. Or would you rather endure a year of suck to potentially land a top five play maker? I don't want to wind up like many teams just kind of stuck in the middle.
I don't really think we have a choice lol

This team gonna suck ass, but pull out 2-3 wins at the end of the season to f**k up draft positioning

Which I think would be ok, since qb prospects not that good this season
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
For me it's a yes, but I don't think we should deliberately tank.

I would rather we keep playing and competing, and if it becomes apparant we are out of the play offs then we should immediately just start running with our young guys and those we want to keep for next season, get them snaps nd developed them and drop out the vets and older guys who are not part of the long term future.
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
If you want to follow that logic then who do you want to pick in next year's draft that is a playmaker
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I think this team is currently in no man's land this season. We have talent that excites me along the front lines but we are also void of play makers. Would you rather play competitive football and wind up 7-9 or 8-8 seriously hurting your draft potential. Or would you rather endure a year of suck to potentially land a top five play maker? I don't want to wind up like many teams just kind of stuck in the middle.

I'd endure two of them to have a chance at Josh Rosen.
Originally posted by MikeD:
If you want to follow that logic then who do you want to pick in next year's draft that is a playmaker

Watson
we will and we won't
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Watson

Or Myles Garrett who looks like the best pass rushing prospect since Von Miller.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 2, 2016 at 6:51 AM ]
0-16
Of course...who the hell is stupid enough to vote no?

I'd easily take one season of suck for a dynasty/SB contender for 15+ years.

Do we really have a choice?
On paper, it sounds like a good move long-term wise.

The problem is, when has a team "tanked" or "sucked" and then suddenly went on to become such a great team very soon after? The 2011-12 Colts are the only exception I can think of and they were hammered with injuries when they went 2-14.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight. You don't just get the #1 overall pick one year and poof you're good again. Nothing is a guarantee in the NFL, and unfortunately, #1 picks are not guaranteed to produce.

I say if we suck, getting a high pick would be a nice consolation prize. But I don't know if I can sit through a whole season of sucking just for a high pick. High picks aren't locks to make you a dynasty.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
On paper, it sounds like a good move long-term wise.

The problem is, when has a team "tanked" or "sucked" and then suddenly went on to become such a great team very soon after? The 2011-12 Colts are the only exception I can think of and they were hammered with injuries when they went 2-14.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight. You don't just get the #1 overall pick one year and poof you're good again. Nothing is a guarantee in the NFL, and unfortunately, #1 picks are not guaranteed to produce.

I say if we suck, getting a high pick would be a nice consolation prize. But I don't know if I can sit through a whole season of sucking just for a high pick. High picks aren't locks to make you a dynasty.

If the question in the poll is the only thing then obviously yes you take one crap season for long term success...but yes it' s not so easily done.

Last team to really experience that was the Pats after going 6-10 in BB's first season they drafted Richard Seymour and had Tom Brady step up.

You basically need a good to great defense, be good in the trenches and find your star QB post suck year to have that happen. Driskel is intriguing but expecting a Brady is obviously beyond a long shot but if you can get a guy like Myles Garrett in the draft and see our young players step up then suddenly we're looking at a potentially dominant defense and we saw last year that teams with a defense like that can win even if the QB is awful and make no mistake Manning was the worst QB in the league last year.
The Browns will be SB champions soon, cause they been using this suck method for awhile
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The Browns will be SB champions soon, cause they been using this suck method for awhile

Dumping all your previous players when you change GMs every 2-3 years means you will never have success.
Share 49ersWebzone