LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

Did Anyone Notice How the OL Stopped Blocking When Kap Came In To Play

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They didn't stop blocking gb starting blitzing like crazy

Gb's defensive cord is still bitter about those two playoff loses to Colin, he's really butt hurt about it still

This
He might have been able to work the pocket better, maybe. Seemed a little ansty on that last possession of his. They only rushed 3 I believe on one of those plays.
[ Edited by Dicekiller on Aug 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
You forgot how the line looked in the most recent regular season games?

How many of the guys who started the season last year are anticipated to start this year?

They will be different personnel this year but that doesn't mean the o-line will be good and it doesn't mean that the starters and their backups have all solidified their roles which is why it would be stupid for any of them to tank while auditioning for a spot on the team or as a starter.
I don't know that they stopped blocking. I only watched the game live, but it seemed like GB simply did a better job getting pressure, including sending 5 man pressure with a spy on Kap. Speeds up his decision making (which he struggles with), and the spy takes away his first instinct (run). That's why he struggled, at least going from memory of the game.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't know that they stopped blocking. I only watched the game live, but it seemed like GB simply did a better job getting pressure, including sending 5 man pressure with a spy on Kap. Speeds up his decision making (which he struggles with), and the spy takes away his first instinct (run). That's why he struggled, at least going from memory of the game.

Gameplanning in preseason? Only if it's simple I guess
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Gameplanning in preseason? Only if it's simple I guess

Yeah, there is no game planning for these pre-season games. GB wasn't doing anything exotic, the offense just struggled to get anything going all night aside from one drive.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They didn't stop blocking gb starting blitzing like crazy

Gb's defensive cord is still bitter about those two playoff loses to Colin, he's really butt hurt about it still

This

Exactly plus it wasn't the starting O-Line in front of Kap..
After the first few Kaepernick plays, I could have sworn the color commentary guy was talking about how they were playing vanilla against Gabbert, but brought the house against Kaepernick. I'm not sure, but it seemed to me that they were rushing more guys against him and it wasn't necessarily the line's fault.

But I haven't looked again, so my perceptions may be off base.
isn't there enough controversy going on with this team..? why try to create more bs..?
Originally posted by cciowa:
the pocket was still there... its just ck can not read dick and jane so he holds the ball then takes forever to throw the ball. the guys can not block forever. it breaks down. then he has to run around .

This.

Originally posted by crake49:
After the first few Kaepernick plays, I could have sworn the color commentary guy was talking about how they were playing vanilla against Gabbert, but brought the house against Kaepernick. I'm not sure, but it seemed to me that they were rushing more guys against him and it wasn't necessarily the line's fault.

But I haven't looked again, so my perceptions may be off base.

Gabbert was blitzed as well. GB blitzed Kap because they don't think he can make the quick read or take the quick checkdown.

They were correct.
I texted this to my buddy during the game Friday night.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Gabbert was blitzed as well. GB blitzed Kap because they don't think he can make the quick read or take the quick checkdown.

They were correct.

True. And I think the color guy, Tim whathisname, was saying something like that. Kaepernick just looked so bad I couldn't believe it. What the hell happened to that guy?
Don't worry Tim Tebow is blazing Colin's next career path right now.
Originally posted by jcs:
This is just my personal opinion on this.

First this is a team sport not an I sport, the Oline shouldn't care and I believe doesn't care about who's under center they are blocking to the best of their ability simply because if they don't someone might: Get hurt, get cut, loose money, ect if they aren't doing their job. You would be surprised but I think most players respect their craft and the game of football. The new coaching staff is also evaluating roles on this team and to half ass a play on purpose with a new coaching staff is going to sabotage your own career.

Second, Kap is not a rhythm passer. He loves to take as deep a drop back as he can so he can play with his eyes. A deep drop back hurts the development of a pocket which most good passing QB's utilize to their advantage. He historically just goes back deep so he has the best chance with time to look for the guy who's most open with his eyes so he can rifle the pass to them and if no one is open he can use his athletic ability to buy even more time and because he is so far from the line of scrimmage he was typically only having to face a LB or DE one on one and was able to out run those guys back to the LOS. He's never shown development in trusting the playbook or the play and throwing someone open with rhythm and timing.

Also why would you take Kaps word on what he saw from an opposing Defense when we all know he doesn't really do well with pre snap adjustments and reading pressure.

This x10. It's probably the most accurate description of how Kap plays without breaking down each play. Good post my dude
Share 49ersWebzone