There are 168 users in the forums

49ers Preseason Week 3 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Stud:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not much to discuss on Kaep's play. Same indecision. Wrong read. Slow recognition. Skittish with time in the pocket. End play with his scrambles.

Same as last year, except you can't blame most of it on the offensive line.

Gabbert again helped move the ball and the offense, and scoring. Played within it. All Kelly is asking for at this point.

14 yards passing per quarter won't get it done. Kelly needs to get more out of the QB position.

lmao it wasnt 14 yards a quarter when gabbert was in lol. kelly is doing fine with gabbert, i wouldnt be surprised with atleast 3 tds a game average+, which is not great but our d is looking great.

14 yerds is exactly how many passing yards Gabbert had on Friday. The offense has not been good this pre-season with Gabbert.

Lol. The offense looks fine. A touchdown drive every game. You do know Kap didn't have a single touchdown drive in the last 2 preseasons combined not including Friday? It correlates with his regression ironically the last 2 years. Funny how the main Kap fans always want to find a way to sh-t on Gabbert. It's going to be a long year for you.

I never said the offense looked good in those games with Kaepernick.
In the "Dress Rehearsal" game, the Niners had 14 yards of passing in the first quarter and another 14 in the second quarter.
The QB play has not been very good.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
There were a few plays where Rodgers dropped back, looked around, and couldn't pull the trigger. No idea what was going on downfield, but the coverage must have been good.

Yeah, not like we could see, but the commentators constantly were saying. "Great coverage down field." I hope they weren't lying.

Is there no all 22 for pre season games? Just curious, even if you have that game pass?

Also in terms of Gabbert, you have to take into account he only gets like 2-3 drives a game so it's tough to get in a rhythm, and I'm sure he's pressing a little knowing there's still a qb compitition going on. With that said I think he will only get better in this offense as the season goes. I know he ran a spread offense at Missouri but I doubt he's ever done so much zone read plays.
There's no doubt in my mind our OL is what is going to get our offense to atleast to the middle of the pack. This OL will give Gabbert the most time he's ever had in his career to throw thus allowing more time for our below average WR's to get open, and will open some nice running lanes for Hyde. I think the league is gonna be surprised with how good our OL is going to be.

As for the defense I think we have found a stud in Ward. The reason he doesn't get targeted is because he's always in good position. If we can stay healthy I think we will have a solid defense. Tank should be starting opposite Brooks at OLB with Eli first off the bench. Having Tank, Brooks, Buckner, and AA rushing the passer is scary. Also I think the starting LB spot next to Bowman was won by Armstrong this game. He was decisive in run support and solid in coverage. I think Hodges will be the backup and Wilhoite will be 3rd string cus he looked terrible in run support. Only reason Wilhoite stays is because he's the main backup for Bowmans Mike position. Lastly, I don't see how Ronald Blair doesn't get a ton of snaps a game. This kid is our Swiss Army knife of the DL. With AA, Buckner, Dial, and Blair being so young I think we are set up to have a great DL for atleast the next 3-5 seasons.
[ Edited by Luckycharms on Aug 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM ]
Originally posted by stefano89:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Turnarounds don't happen in a day. You gotta enjoy the process to maintain your sanity. First step is acceptance that it isn't 2011-2013 anymore. This is a team in rebuild.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Hell yes. i enjoy 49er games no matter what our record is an where were playing. sure everyone loves winning more than losing but being there through all the seasons like this one make u enjoy the top moments and appreciate everything the ENTIRE organization has done to get there when they are winning. so many key pieces have to run well in unison to get to the top.

i remember going to games where alex smith was booed constantly an watching troy smith run in circles on the field.....then just a couple years later watching that same alex smith that was deemed "garbage" DRIVE THE f**kIN FIELD on the saints TWICE an win a playoff game to take us to the NFC title game and take our beloved team back to the top of the NFC where we always belonged. still cant believe it happend, candlestick was shaking

with that said were most likely gonna suck this year....just use the time to build.
Agreed losing is tough to watch, but sometimes necessary for a better future. I think some people underestimate how long it took to build that 2011-2013 team and so they expect a short turnaround this time. That only happens quickly if we continue to get lucky in the draft with great talent. Getting the QB of the future would go a long way to expedite that process.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Not much to discuss on Kaep's play. Same indecision. Wrong read. Slow recognition. Skittish with time in the pocket. End play with his scrambles.

Gabbert again helped move the ball and the offense, and scoring. Played within it. All Kelly is asking for at this point.

14 yards passing per quarter won't get it done. Kelly needs to get more out of the QB position.

lmao it wasnt 14 yards a quarter when gabbert was in lol. kelly is doing fine with gabbert, i wouldnt be surprised with atleast 3 tds a game average+, which is not great but our d is looking great.

Lmao, oh wait:

He only threw 3 passes and completed two of them. Lol.

Perhaps everyone should wait till the regular season to evaluate Gabby in a Chip offense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
There were a few plays where Rodgers dropped back, looked around, and couldn't pull the trigger. No idea what was going on downfield, but the coverage must have been good.

Yeah, not like we could see, but the commentators constantly were saying. "Great coverage down field." I hope they weren't lying.

Is there no all 22 for pre season games? Just curious, even if you have that game pass?

Also in terms of Gabbert, you have to take into account he only gets like 2-3 drives a game so it's tough to get in a rhythm, and I'm sure he's pressing a little knowing there's still a qb compitition going on. With that said I think he will only get better in this offense as the season goes. I know he ran a spread offense at Missouri but I doubt he's ever done so much zone read plays.
There's no doubt in my mind our OL is what is going to get our offense to atleast to the middle of the pack. This OL will give Gabbert the most time he's ever had in his career to throw thus allowing more time for our below average WR's to get open, and will open some nice running lanes for Hyde. I think the league is gonna be surprised with how good our OL is going to be.

As for the defense I think we have found a stud in Ward. The reason he doesn't get targeted is because he's always in good position. If we can stay healthy I think we will have a solid defense. Tank should be starting opposite Brooks at OLB with Eli first off the bench. Having Tank, Brooks, Buckner, and AA rushing the passer is scary. Also I think the starting LB spot next to Bowman was won by Armstrong this game. He was decisive in run support and solid in coverage. I think Hodges will be the backup and Wilhoite will be 3rd string cus he looked terrible in run support. Only reason Wilhoite stays is because he's the main backup for Bowmans Mike position. Lastly, I don't see how Ronald Blair doesn't get a ton of snaps a game. This kid is our Swiss Army knife of the DL. With AA, Buckner, Dial, and Blair being so young I think we are set up to have a great DL for atleast the next 3-5 seasons.

There's no all22 for preseason. And yeah, the zone read is foreign to Gabbert. He may have ran it a few times last season, but nothing until he got to the 49ers. Didn't look too shabby here, +9:
Originally posted by TheRambler:

Perhaps everyone should wait till the regular season to evaluate Gabby in a Chip offense.

And one of them was for a touchdown (they called it a lateral).

Give "Gabby" a chance.

Lmao, oh wait:

Hasn't made any bad decisions in term of passing. Keep that up and it won't an easy win against us.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
There's no all22 for preseason. And yeah, the zone read is foreign to Gabbert. He may have ran it a few times last season, but nothing until he got to the 49ers. Didn't look too shabby here, +9:

There was one that completely fooled everyone, cameraguy included. I think it might have been Driskel.
Originally posted by corona55569:
Where is Torrey smith at ? Is he alive ?
I just rewatched the game, has our number #1 receiver been targeted once

This concerns me too. I mean, what did we bring him here for? Ok, here it comes....

"maybe we're just saving all his plays for regular season".

Originally posted by Joecool:
Hasn't made any bad decisions in term of passing. Keep that up and it won't an easy win against us.

Originally posted by Joecool:

Lmao, oh wait:

This is why I'm all for Gabby taking the job. I was a big Kap supporter and wanted to see him win it, but.... he's just NOT looking good or comfortable. Take the stats away for just a minute and just use the eye test on Kap and ANY other QB this preseason and it's not even close. He had "it" and "it" is GONE! Kinda sad.

Share 49ersWebzone