LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers Preseason Week 3 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) QB: Its gonna be a long year. Not a fan of Blaine but sadly he looks to be the most capable of the bunch RIGHT NOW. Kap looked really off. I won't delve into the other news on Kap till later, but as a player he doesn't look the same. Looks slower, thinner, unsure...just bad. Maybe he was rusty and maybe this is the best he's gonna get, but it wasn't promising. Driskel Looks interesting but way too raw right now. Ponder? Yeah. You are who we thought you were.

2) Tank Carradine: Cautiously optimistic with him. Maybe he's the pass rusher we've been looking for? We'll see. Promising so far. MUCH better as OLB than 3-4 DE.

3) Hyde: Sigh. Very Carlos Hyde game. Great run. Two or three offensive snaps later, hurt. Ugg.

4) O-Line: This game notwithstanding, I think there is potential here to be among the best lines in the NFL. Pears and Devey...GONE. Jonathan Martin...GONE. Could the nightmare be over? Not only do the starters look to be talented, but they might even have (gasp) depth.

5) WR: Everything I just said about the O-Line? Yeah...not so much at WR. Huge need area and likely will be going into next offseason.

6) Ronald Blair: Love that kid. Looks like a steal so far. So quick and strong.

7) DeForest Buckner: Someone who understands the defense better than I do might be able to say whether or not I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, but it appears to me there are times he's playing too high and there are others where it seems he's not sticking too his assignment. On the first play off the game he was flowing with the play and ended up throwing his man outside to try and cut inside and make the play. The back simply bounced outside of him and would have gone for a big gain had Brock not drilled him in the hole.

My guess is that wasn't what he was supposed to do. Seemed there were a few other occasions when that happened but without knowing exactly what he was supposed to do its hard to say. He's a very young player so mistakes are to be expected, just wondering if this was in fact a mistake.

8) Jimmie Ward: The guy has barely been tested but when he is he always seems to be in position. Is it possible that we may have found a damn good corner lost in the depths of the deep safety position? To early to say, but its encouraging.

9) Tartt: I saw something on Friday that stunned me a bit. I saw a 210lb-220lb SS chase down a WR from behind. A WR taken fairly high in the draft as well. Really looking forward to seeing how this kid plays in the future.

10) Elephant in the Room: Sigh. It would be really nice to go a significant amount of time with no drama. I am so tired of Kaps name coming up in some conversation about a hat he shouldn't have worn, Tats he shouldn't have, an accusation of something he shouldn't have done, a rumor of wanting to be traded, discussion about his attitude in front of the media, etc, etc, etc. I'm just so damn tired of it. I'd just like for a chance for there to be an aura of optimism and hope around the team and not a continued spiral into the abyss. I am a political person and I pay attention, but I like my sports to be separate. An escape if you will.

However.

I was offended by Kap not standing for the anthem. I didn't even notice it till it was reported afterward. I didn't and don't agree with his stance.

Here's the rub tho for me. Players aren't robots. They are human and see the same social injustices we all see (or many of us anyway). When an athlete does something to call attention to something its kinda hypocritical IMO to blast him for standing up for what he thinks is right. It doesn't always take the form we'd like and it is sometimes easily misconstrued, but his presser yesterday went a long way into understanding what his thought process is.

I would rather he didn't do this, but the reality is that the social injustice he's bringing attention to is SOOOO much bigger than what I'm comfortable with, the 49ers, or football in general.

Some of the stuff I've read in the past few days has made me sick. "He sucks, he shouldn't have an opinion". "He makes 12 million dollars, he shouldn't say a damn thing". "He's only half black and from an adoptive white family. He's never even been in those situations. He needs to shut up".

Really? He's not black enough? He's not poor enough? So essentially the only people who are allowed to have a voice in the discussion are people who have no voice to be heard?

Anyway, while I don't like the form his protest took, I find it difficult to quarrel with why he is protesting.

From a football perspective, what concerns me is this: The 49ers may very well have planned to release him on his play alone. This stand puts them in a really awkward position. If he gets released, there are many people who don't bother to research facts that will say he was released BECAUSE of his protest. They will be entirely incorrect, but it will serve as just another reminder of the racism charge that stuck to Chip Kelly in Philly. It may cause Free Agents to cross SF off their list of destinations.

I don't fault Colin for feeling he had to do SOMETHING as so many of us have done little besides saying "ah man, that sucks". He's decided to pay a price to make his statement and that has to be respected, but damn...really awkward for the 49ers.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 29, 2016 at 12:19 PM ]
Yay football conversation
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Yay football conversation

New thread? Not started by 9moon? Disappointed.
[ Edited by McClusky on Aug 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM ]
Not much to discuss on Kaep's play. Same indecision. Wrong read. Slow recognition. Skittish with time in the pocket. End play with his scrambles.

Same as last year, except you can't blame most of it on the offensive line.

Gabbert again helped move the ball and the offense, and scoring. Played within it. All Kelly is asking for at this point.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
oh thank god you are okay I became very worried when you didnt post this for two days. big sigh of relief.
Buckner is playing like a rookie but he has to get lower. The majority of time I've watched him simply just playing too high. That should get corrected with more reps. But i would like to see him just off raw power and explosiveness blow up a play at some point in pre season. It's gonna take some time to refine technique. Just like last year with Armstead. He was very inconsistent but there were times where his raw power and explosiveness just blew up a play.

Qb situation is total s**t.
Originally posted by susweel:
oh thank god you are okay I became very worried when you didnt post this for two days. big sigh of relief.

did you buy flowers?
Kap was inches away from 2 INTs. He stares down his target the whole way. I guess the visor thing isn't working.
  • thl408
There were a few plays where Rodgers dropped back, looked around, and couldn't pull the trigger. No idea what was going on downfield, but the coverage must have been good.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Kap was inches away from 2 INTs. He stares down his target the whole way. I guess the visor thing isn't working.

Wasn't tinted. Should have been.

I am upset Kap didn't play more. Dude needs it. Driskell has no chance of starting so why not give Kap more reps? Anyone who thought he was going to light it up after the amount of time off and injuries would be dreaming. What he needs is to get the feel of the game back to show IF he can do anything.

Hyde is concerning but I think Draughn is a very capable backup.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QB: Its gonna be a long year. Not a fan of Blaine but sadly he looks to be the most capable of the bunch RIGHT NOW. Kap looked really off. I won't delve into the other news on Kap till later, but as a player he doesn't look the same. Looks slower, thinner, unsure...just bad. Maybe he was rusty and maybe this is the best he's gonna get, but it wasn't promising. Driskel Looks interesting but way too raw right now. Ponder? Yeah. You are who we thought you were.

2) Tank Carradine: Cautiously optimistic with him. Maybe he's the pass rusher we've been looking for? We'll see. Promising so far. MUCH better as OLB than 3-4 DE.

3) Hyde: Sigh. Very Carlos Hyde game. Great run. Two or three offensive snaps later, hurt. Ugg.

4) O-Line: This game notwithstanding, I think there is potential here to be among the best lines in the NFL. Pears and Devey...GONE. Jonathan Martin...GONE. Could the nightmare be over? Not only do the starters look to be talented, but they might even have (gasp) depth.

5) WR: Everything I just said about the O-Line? Yeah...not so much at WR. Huge need area and likely will be going into next offseason.

6) Ronald Blair: Love that kid. Looks like a steal so far. So quick and strong.

7) DeForest Buckner: Someone who understands the defense better than I do might be able to say whether or not I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, but it appears to me there are times he's playing too high and there are others where it seems he's not sticking too his assignment. On the first play off the game he was flowing with the play and ended up throwing his man outside to try and cut inside and make the play. The back simply bounced outside of him and would have gone for a big gain had Brock not drilled him in the hole.

My guess is that wasn't what he was supposed to do. Seemed there were a few other occasions when that happened but without knowing exactly what he was supposed to do its hard to say. He's a very young player so mistakes are to be expected, just wondering if this was in fact a mistake.

8) Jimmie Ward: The guy has barely been tested but when he is he always seems to be in position. Is it possible that we may have found a damn good corner lost in the depths of the deep safety position? To early to say, but its encouraging.

9) Tartt: I saw something on Friday that stunned me a bit. I saw a 210lb-220lb SS chase down a WR from behind. A WR taken fairly high in the draft as well. Really looking forward to seeing how this kid plays in the future.

10) Elephant in the Room: Sigh. It would be really nice to go a significant amount of time with no drama. I am so tired of Kaps name coming up in some conversation about a hat he shouldn't have worn, Tats he shouldn't have, an accusation of something he shouldn't have done, a rumor of wanting to be traded, discussion about his attitude in front of the media, etc, etc, etc. I'm just so damn tired of it. I'd just like for a chance for there to be an aura of optimism and hope around the team and not a continued spiral into the abyss. I am a political person and I pay attention, but I like my sports to be separate. An escape if you will.

However.

I was offended by Kap not standing for the anthem. I didn't even notice it till it was reported afterward. I didn't and don't agree with his stance.

Here's the rub tho for me. Players aren't robots. They are human and see the same social injustices we all see (or many of us anyway). When an athlete does something to call attention to something its kinda hypocritical IMO to blast him for standing up for what he thinks is right. It doesn't always take the form we'd like and it is sometimes easily misconstrued, but his presser yesterday went a long way into understanding what his thought process is.

I would rather he didn't do this, but the reality is that the social injustice he's bringing attention to is SOOOO much bigger than what I'm comfortable with, the 49ers, or football in general.

Some of the stuff I've read in the past few days has made me sick. "He sucks, he shouldn't have an opinion". "He makes 12 million dollars, he shouldn't say a damn thing". "He's only half black and from an adoptive white family. He's never even been in those situations. He needs to shut up".

Really? He's not black enough? He's not poor enough? So essentially the only people who are allowed to have a voice in the discussion are people who have no voice to be heard?

Anyway, while I don't like the form his protest took, I find it difficult to quarrel with why he is protesting.

From a football perspective, what concerns me is this: The 49ers may very well have planned to release him on his play alone. This stand puts them in a really awkward position. If he gets released, there are many people who don't bother to research facts that will say he was released BECAUSE of his protest. They will be entirely incorrect, but it will serve as just another reminder of the racism charge that stuck to Chip Kelly in Philly. It may cause Free Agents to cross SF off their list of destinations.

I don't fault Colin for feeling he had to do SOMETHING as so many of us have done little besides saying "ah man, that sucks". He's decided to pay a price to make his statement and that has to be respected, but damn...really awkward for the 49ers.

This is the purpose of all entertainment. It's escapism to distract us for a few moments from the b******t in everyday life. That's why I hate when entertainers and athletes piss me off when they wade into this topic. If I wanted to hear more BLM b******t, I'd turn to CNN/MSNBC/FOX and listen to the talking heads b******t about it.

It's like this team is cursed. We've become the new Oakland Raiders. s**t with the Raiders looking to move to Vegas I guess we had to fill the void with our horrible team and misfit players. We were supposed to be the team of the 2010's, on the upswing after a decade of sucking and now here we are again.

But I disagree with you that's it's hypocritical to criticize Kap. I stop watching sitcoms on TV that start to take themselves too seriously. I stop listening to songs that have a political tinge one way or the other. Same with football. Football should be about X's O's and what's on the field and some of the crazy personal stuff like failed drug tests that come with the territory. But I don't want f**king Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh in the locker room. Politics remind me of what I hate about America, it's worst part--the goons at the top. All of them.

Back to football:

• Tank looks great and I can't wait to see him paired with Lynch.
  • Secondary looks really good.
  • QB is serviceable.
  • WRs are servicable. It's time for Patton to step up. He needs to fill that role that Crabs had here. Ellington just needs to stay on the field...baby steps.
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Aug 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
There were a few plays where Rodgers dropped back, looked around, and couldn't pull the trigger. No idea what was going on downfield, but the coverage must have been good.

Yeah, not like we could see, but the commentators constantly were saying. "Great coverage down field." I hope they weren't lying.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I think the teams biggest weakness is not being good.

^ This is for people in a hurry.
Originally posted by susweel:

:D
Share 49ersWebzone