There are 241 users in the forums

WR Jeremy Kerley

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Sounds like purely a slot guy. Good to have another WR with some experience.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691593/article/lions-trade-wideout-jeremy-kerley-to-49ers

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/3/22/11284608/jeremy-kerley-scouting-profile-a-limited-but-effective-slot-receiver
However, he does have a pretty big limitation, and that's his play downfield. Kerley has issues getting open on any vertical routes, as his straight-line speed isn't all that impressive (4.62 40-yard dash time at the combine). Physical cornerbacks tend to get him off his game, which is why the Jets almost never used him as an outside receiver.

Kerley also brings a lot of punt return experience to the Lions. Looking around, Kerley has received much criticism for fair catching the ball too often. Indeed, Kerley finished sixth in the league with 19 fair catches. But considering he also finished second in punt return yards and 14th in yards per return among qualifying players, you take the good with the bad.

Overall, Kerley is a shifty receiver with more-than-reliable hands. Just don't expect him to stretch the field vertically.
Welcome to the most dysfunctional team and fan base in the world.
Welcome to the 49ers Curley!

Kerley had 19 fair catches but also 48 returns for 411 yards
Ellington last year had 17 fair catches and 19 returns for 137 yards

we've got an upgrade
  • dj43
Likely insurance in case Ellington is laid up for more than two weeks. Hard to get too excited but he does have experience and could have some run in Kelly's offense.

Thomas never met draft slot expectations and was expendable depth. I had him as a late cut.
  • thl408
Originally posted by dj43:
Likely insurance in case Ellington is laid up for more than two weeks. Hard to get too excited but he does have experience and could have some run in Kelly's offense.

Thomas never met draft slot expectations and was expendable depth. I had him as a late cut.

Yeah he will fill in for Ellington when Ellington can't go, which at this rate is every other week.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
If he makes the final roster...
Good WR for all the underneath routes. I like the move. Why are we acting like Brandon Thomas was a second round pick doe.. He was the 100th overall,a 3rd round comp(boarder line early 4th rounder). We have two starting guards on the bench.

Let's not use this trade to bash Baalke.
One nice stat: in his entire professional career, Kerley has fumbled only twice (one was lost).
Decent pickup all things considering. Should have kept Boldin...

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

More and more I am coming around to the fact that he should have been kept.
Originally posted by Crown:

Not like we have much of anything in front of him
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not like we have much of anything in front of him

Oh I agree - I just see TB picking up more waiver wire cast offs
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

More and more I am coming around to the fact that he should have been kept.

Nope. Need to see who can play in the future. Kerley is a FA after this year, and is much younger. Gotta see who steps up between Kerley, Patton, Ellington and all the other young guys to see who must get replaced next year. Boldin would just slow that process down again.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM ]
Also, Kerley easily makes this team as a PR alone. There's no way Kelly saw the poor production out there this off-season and pre-season and didn't push Baalke to get someone to solve this.
Share 49ersWebzone